• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starboard engine slow crank

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You would be better off to do a voltage drop test on the positive cable from the battery to the starter and also across the ground. Resistance testing these wires by doing an ohms test is not valid and therefore inconclusive as to cable and connector condition.
I did that, results should be up in the thread. Drop wasn’t more than 1v

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did that, results should be up in the thread. Drop wasn’t more than 1v
Hmmm, I thought I just read the whole thread, but I must've missed them. I'll re-read.

Edit: Just re-read whole thread, I don't see where an accurate voltage drop test was done on the cables, or the results. I see battery voltage readings before cranking and while cranking, but that's not the same thing.

Either way, if you did a voltage drop test on the cables and you were dropping a volt, thats a clear indicator of a bad wire or connection

Last edited:

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This link may help clarify the test I'mrecommending: Voltage Drop Testing.
Thanks. I’ll try running through these again but I can’t access the ground connection to the starter without removing the manifold. I’ll try and get it somehow clipped or at least pressed (with a 2nd person) to the starter body.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. I’ll try running through these again but I can’t access the ground connection to the starter without removing the manifold. I’ll try and get it somehow clipped or at least pressed (with a 2nd person) to the starter body.
You dont need to do all that. Just find a good ground on the motor and test from there to the battery neg terminal. If the test fails, you can then work on isolating. If the test passes, then you're good to go. Test positive side too

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You dont need to do all that. Just find a good ground on the motor and test from there to the battery neg terminal. If the test fails, you can then work on isolating. If the test passes, then you're good to go. Test positive side too
Ran some more tests this evening.....

Battery voltage - 12.8

while cranking....
battery - 11.6
Pos to starter, ground to battery - 9.6-10.3v

drop tests
pos to starter pos, neg to battery pos - 1.0-1.1v
pos to battery cable, neg to starter pos - 1.0-1.2v
pos to starter body, neg to battery neg - 0.3v

Does this indicate an issue on the positive side? I'll have someone help me remove the electrical box tomorrow so I can test pre/post solenoid drops.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ground side is a little high, but ok. I don't think that's where the problem lay. Positive side is really high though, and most likely the problem. Don't forget to Check the drop across the solenoid, too. Willing to bet it turns out to be high resistance at/in the solenoid.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ground side is a little high, but ok. I don't think that's where the problem lay. Positive side is really high though, and most likely the problem. Don't forget to Check the drop across the solenoid, too. Willing to bet it turns out to be high resistance at/in the solenoid.
I'll pull the box tomorrow and check. Takes 2 people so have to recruit a helper :)

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I tested the solenoid today, seems to be ok to me. 0.8 drop from battery to pos side, 1.1 drop from battery to starter side. so 0.3 across the solenoid. I didn’t jump it, will try that tomorrow.

Went battery pos post to starter switch battery side post and drop was 0.6v, which is really odd because if that short cable is bad it should be affecting both starters.

Hooked the engine cables directly to the battery and it turned over much quicker. Not like the port side, but a lot quicker than before. Could still be some resistance in the actual engine cable. I didn’t have time to test that one it was getting dark and the bugs were out.

I took off the short battery cable off and brought it home. Hooked up the multimeter and set it to ohms. It starts off around .8 and over the next few seconds drops down to 0.1 although like I said before these cables are probably too large for a multimeter to accurately test resistance

Last edited:

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm going to replace the cable from the battery to the switch (6awg wire) and see if that helps but that should have been affecting both engines. Maybe also run an auto jumper cable straight from the switch to the solenoid connection (battery side) to eliminate the switch-to-solenoid wire as a cause.

Last edited:

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The .6 cable was assuredly affecting both engines and definitely needs to be replaced in my opinion, but your port engine also has some more resistance in its starter circuit in addition to the .6 that the starboard starter doesn't have , thus making the port engine crank slower. I think when you get this solved, both engines will crank faster as well as more evenly. Remember, every volt you drop somewhere is one less volt thats available to turn the starter. Also, the voltage drop only reads accurately when the circuit is loaded, so all these tests should be done while cranking.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The .6 cable was assuredly affecting both engines and definitely needs to be replaced in my opinion, but your port engine also has some more resistance in its starter circuit in addition to the .6 that the starboard starter doesn't have , thus making the port engine crank slower. I think when you get this solved, both engines will crank faster as well as more evenly. Remember, every volt you drop somewhere is one less volt thats available to turn the starter. Also, the voltage drop only reads accurately when the circuit is loaded, so all these tests should be done while cranking.
Thanks. Picked up the cable tonight and will hook up tomorrow and retest. And yes all tests are being done while the engine is cranking.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
New cable installed, MM still showing .6 drop. I'm not sure how that's possible. I wonder if my MM is not working properly. It's a Klein MM400 from HomeDepot. Maybe I'll pick up a different one and re-test.

But, what I did do was test the voltage drop from the battery to the port starter. The drop was basically the same as the starboard, 1.1-1.3 volts which makes me think that it's definitely a starter issue if the voltage being delivered to both starters is the same, but only 1 is acting up. No obvious issues with solenoid.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New cable installed, MM still showing .6 drop. I'm not sure how that's possible. I wonder if my MM is not working properly. It's a Klein MM400 from HomeDepot. Maybe I'll pick up a different one and re-test.

But, what I did do was test the voltage drop from the battery to the port starter. The drop was basically the same as the starboard, 1.1-1.3 volts which makes me think that it's definitely a starter issue if the voltage being delivered to both starters is the same, but only 1 is acting up. No obvious issues with solenoid.
That does seem odd. I don't even know what to say, other than I agree with your assessment of the situation that it almost has to be a faulty starter. I think I would also want to verify the accuracy of my meter if I had the slightest doubt of its readings.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That does seem odd. I don't even know what to say, other than I agree with your assessment of the situation that it almost has to be a faulty starter. I think I would also want to verify the accuracy of my meter if I had the slightest doubt of its readings.
Incredible.....today on the water. Stop that engine go to restart it is dead completely. No click nothing. Limp back to dock....start troubleshooting and pulling everything apart. Finally get a thought about the key switches. Pull them out, swap the key assembly and bam, fired right up, no slow crank nothing. So I guess the key switch was going bad and finally died.

So, anyone have a spare one?looks like the same ones have been used forever

F1C-U8036-02-00

Looks like most places are showing 83 days?!?!!!

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I prob missed it somewhere but are these the 1.8s or the mr1? I have a brand new mr1 starter sitting here on the shelf and nothing with an mr1 anymore

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Hmmm key sw would cause a no cranking issue but i dont see how it could cause a slow crank situation. Key does nothing other than activate the solenoid

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I prob missed it somewhere but are these the 1.8s or the mr1? I have a brand new mr1 starter sitting here on the shelf and nothing with an mr1 anymore
1.8...but after today’s debacle I don’t think that’s what it is anymore

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hmmm key sw would cause a no cranking issue but i dont see how it could cause a slow crank situation. Key does nothing other than activate the solenoid
I have no idea.....but switching those key assemblies fixed it. I will say it doesn’t crank like the port does but it’s way faster than it was earlier today. So maybe starter is a bit weak, but the assembly definitely made a difference

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the voltage to the solenoid travels through the hatch switch. Maybe the weak current was firing the solenoid weakly? I have not heard of that generally the solenoid either trips or not, but this is very interesting.