• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starting my sound system update journey. Please bear with all the questions that will follow

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Making progress here. Hopefully my pictures will help others. Today I routed my RCA cables and the blue amp power cable from the battery compartment (port side storage) to the head unit (starboard, stern).

From the battery storage I ran the cables through an existing hole to the engine compartment. Then ran the cables under the hatch following existing cabling. See the yellow zip ties for reference. Then into the storage compartment under the starboard cockpit bench. PXL_20220621_160317268 - Copy.jpg

PXL_20220621_160333999 - Copy.jpg

Next I used a cable fisher thingamajig from the stern starboard storage compartment, through an existing hole into the cockpit storage. Taped my cables and fished them through.

PXL_20220621_160648630 (1).jpg

PXL_20220621_162215977.jpg

PXL_20220621_162449073.jpg

Finally, I removed the head unit and the stern speaker and inserted the fishing line and pulled the cables the rest of the way. I installed the new RCA harness and hooked up the RCA cables. I ran out of time so I did not mess with the power cables yet. On the last picture you can see the poor harness that Yamaha mutilated.

PXL_20220621_163928204.jpg

PXL_20220621_164911441.jpg

Last edited:

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Does anyone know what size screws to use to attach the amp to the floor of the battery storage compartment? I bought a used amp and don't have the hardware. Thanks in advance

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does anyone know what size screws to use to attach the amp to the floor of the battery storage compartment? I bought a used amp and don't have the hardware. Thanks in advance
I used 3/4 inch for my extra battery tray. 1/2” penetration should be plenty to hold down an amp

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I second this, as long as your amp can handle the load (Most higher end amps can) keep in mind most speakers are 4 ohms and in parallel the load will be 2 ohms if connecting two speakers to one channel.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
AMP's don't come with the screws, so whatever stainless steel ones you have that fit the hole and aren't too long to go through something it shouldn't. I used either a 1/2 or 3/4 can't remember but I need longer ones they don't have quite enough bite in my opinion.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok y'all. Good progress today. No holes for mid cabin yet. Ran speaker cables to all stock locations using my trusty fish thingamajig, except for the bow port side speaker. Guys... I can't figure out how to get cables there. Please any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok y'all. Good progress today. No holes for mid cabin yet. Ran speaker cables to all stock locations using my trusty fish thingamajig, except for the bow port side speaker. Guys... I can't figure out how to get cables there. Please any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
According to the wiring diagram for my 2011, they come up to and past the starboard bow speaker location and on to the navigation lights, and then over to the port speaker. I haven’t looked myself.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
AMP's don't come with the screws,
Depends on the amps - good quality marine amps DO come with mounting screws, usually stainless steel screws. This is another one of the reasons why paying a bit extra makes sense.
YMMV

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Unless you require using stock wiring, just run your own. There's plenty of room to run wires....

And don't be afraid to cut holes for the mid-cabin speakers - I know it feels wrong, but just do it right as others have in this forum (me too) and you'll really appreciate the placement. My wife is totally thrilled with the extra speakers while cruising.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Depends on the amps - good quality marine amps DO come with mounting screws, usually stainless steel screws. This is another one of the reasons why paying a bit extra makes sense.
YMMV
Agreed. I have installed hundreds of amps, every single one came with screws.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah. I'm sure they do. But this one was used. Not a big deal

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I m
YMMV
I mean I bought new JL amps and they didn’t so maybe some amps do come with them. But being he got JL it does not come with screws.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I mean I bought new JL amps and they didn’t so maybe some amps do come with them. But being he got JL it does not come with screws.
My amp is a JL MX500/4 and it came with 4 black coated stainless steel screws to secure the amp. I believe most new unused amps come with suitable screws to secure them.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My amp is a JL MX500/4 and it came with 4 black coated stainless steel screws to secure the amp. I believe most new unused amps come with suitable screws to secure them.
Well what the heck I got the M400/4 and M700/5 and didn't get any!

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@tabbibus , excuse me but…
Oh my... so upper management just approved a 1K-ish budget. I've done some more reading and I will start with an amp and mid cabin speakers. probably the MX280/4 or mayyyybe the MX500/4 and some polk speakers. And take it from there. Woohoo!

Also, I've done some more reading here and I think I've figured out most of my questions. The stoke is high!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length