• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starting my sound system update journey. Please bear with all the questions that will follow

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Alrighty then. Amp is on hand. Speakers, harness, cables, tools, all in route. This is gonna be fun!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
These things are sexy compared to the polks. Hefty too

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It's all here. Now the most difficult part. Finding time.

PXL_20220526_014750890.jpg

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

RNYCLV

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's all here. Now the most difficult part. Finding time.

View attachment 178900
I hear you on that one....I have everything sitting in the house ready to go as well... however with so few people at work we are all stretched so thin the only day I get off we hit the lake, and that's more important for sanity at this point ....lol

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I started scoping out how to move my batteries back and noticed the wiring. Seems that all the ground wires are hooked up to the starting battery (to the left), and one power wire coming from the switch.

The house battery (to the right) is simply hooked up with a power wire from the switch and the ground goes to the starting battery terminal.

So I make the following assumptions. Please correct as needed. Disclaimer: I didn't have enough time to pop open the switch.
1. The power for the engines goes to the switch and then to the starting battery.
2. The power for the radio, connext, blowers, and everything else goes to the house switch and then to the house battery.

Questions:
A) when I hook up the amp, do I hook the power to the switch or directly to the house positive terminal. Also the ground, do I hook that up to the starting battery where all the other grounds are or do I hook that up to the house.
B) should I transfer all the grounds to the house?
C) I don't have bus bars. Do I need them?

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Always multiple ways but what I would do:

Questions:
A) when I hook up the amp, do I hook the power to the switch or directly to the house positive terminal. Also the ground, do I hook that up to the starting battery where all the other grounds are or do I hook that up to the house.

I would want the amp after the house switch, so if house is off, the amp is off. For grounds, see next answer.
Edit: I skipped something here, you obviously should fuse between the amp and power. You may want to consider a breaker of the appropriate size. So, Battery-—-Switch——Breaker——Amp. You may want a distribution box in there too.
B) should I transfer all the grounds to the house?

All your grounds need to come together, it doesn’t matter how, electrically speaking, but the boat should have one common ground. How they are now is fine. You could connect the amp to either, the cable between the two grounds brings it all together. But, next…

C) I don't have bus bars. Do I need them?

You don’t need them, but they can make your life easier and simplify the wiring. Instead of a cluster of wires going to a battery terminal you can consolidate them at a bus bar and then have a single, or less wires going to the battery. Changes and troubleshooting can be easier as you can remove wires with futzing (technical term) with the battery posts. This is sorta why all your grounds go to one battery and then the two are connected, less chance of error.

Last edited:

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At the risk of confusing you, here is my “work in progress” diagram of what I plan to do.
Notes
  • My DVSR is a single 1/2/1+2 switch.
  • This also assumes a high watt HU or amp in the helm, I’d rather have the amp in the battery compartment to avoid running the 6 AWG wire across the boat.
  • Not showing ground/negative, but they are there.
262540CC-3C55-4488-8A74-0786CA3EC356.jpeg

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the input @TimW451

I moved my batteries aft, as well as repositioned my NOCO. Now I have space for the amp.

PXL_20220615_190300769.jpg

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey y'all. This may be a dumb question, but how do I wire speakers in parallel? I know the theory. Negative to negative and positive to positive. But how do I actually do it? Do I have to splice the cables before they reach the amp?

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No you can just combine them at the same amp terminal.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@tabbibus One of the benefits of bus bars are that its simpler to connect and disconnect the batteries. I have a ground bus bar that all the negatives in my boat connect to, then I have ONE wire from the bus bar to each battery. Super simple.

I have a Positive fuse block too. One wire from the house battery to the fuse block, then everything is fused there and connects to the rest of the boat. This also makes it easier if you want to add things to the boat later (like USB charge ports, marine radio, fume detector, bilge alarm, amps, etc).

The "magic" at the speaker can be made easier with dual spade adapters. Not sure if these are the right size (they are electrical piggy back - not speaker ones) - but I have to assume they make speaker ones too.

This pack give you an assortment of sized piggybacks.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@tabbibus One of the benefits of bus bars are that its simpler to connect and disconnect the batteries. I have a ground bus bar that all the negatives in my boat connect to, then I have ONE wire from the bus bar to each battery. Super simple.

I have a Positive fuse block too. One wire from the house battery to the fuse block, then everything is fused there and connects to the rest of the boat. This also makes it easier if you want to add things to the boat later (like USB charge ports, marine radio, fume detector, bilge alarm, amps, etc).

The "magic" at the speaker can be made easier with dual spade adapters. Not sure if these are the right size (they are electrical piggy back - not speaker ones) - but I have to assume they make speaker ones too.

This pack give you an assortment of sized piggybacks.
So is simply combining them at the amp terminal a bad idea?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
So is simply combining them at the amp terminal a bad idea?
I would combine them at the amp. No issues doing this, also if you decide to put them on individual channels later, your wires are already run.