• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starting my sound system update journey. Please bear with all the questions that will follow

toddaltpeter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
was it difficult going to the courtesy switch?
Not really, Just spliced in a 3amp fuse and ran wire to each speaker But the 45KM604WL's are only a blue led and only require a 12V and GRD. If you go with something that is a multi-color or color changing LED, then I believe you will need a controller. You could probably still run it off the courtesy light switch, but you'd have to wire the controller in line. I just wanted blue, so it made my install easy

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You do not need a controller for the RGBs. That is only if you want to change colors. You can only wire up say blue and only get blue lights.

toddaltpeter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You do not need a controller for the RGBs. That is only if you want to change colors. You can only wire up say blue and only get blue lights.
That’s what I was trying to say, but you said it better. I just wanted to point out that a direct wire solution will not give you the color changing capabilities without a controller

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The 280/4 has plenty of power and reserve for dynamic power, well over 50w/ch. If you're going to do mid-cabins for a total of 8 speakers, I would suggest you go with a pair of 280/4 and drive each speaker directly, and leave the tweeters wired to the head unit as it doesn't need much power. The advantage of using two amps allows each channel to drive to full power with reserve headroom and greater damping factor at 4 ohms. This helps to contribute to better mid-bass punch.

This also means you don't need to wire in fuses or breakers as the 280/4 has inline fuses, which saves you money, time and hassle. The 500/4 and most other similar amps require you to wire in a 50 amp fuse.
Since I've never done something like this I'll have to find some diagrams of how to do this. But I like this idea.

RNYCLV

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not really, Just spliced in a 3amp fuse and ran wire to each speaker But the 45KM604WL's are only a blue led and only require a 12V and GRD. If you go with something that is a multi-color or color changing LED, then I believe you will need a controller. You could probably still run it off the courtesy light switch, but you'd have to wire the controller in line. I just wanted blue, so it made my install easy
I’m all blue. If I do the kickers is it a constant blue or only on bass?

toddaltpeter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 45KM604WL's were blue only. I think they have others that were other colors. On a multicolored pair, you can usually set a constant color of red/blue/green based on the wires you connect. The color is solid, it does not flash with bass.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Regarding your question about wattage. My last boat had 6 JL M3 6.5s. I was running the same amplifier on them as I'm running now. A Wet Sounds sd-6. It's rated at 185 watts per channel! It's all in the setup and tuning. Over the years, I have seen more speakers blown because of too little power and driving them into distortion, then too much power.

RNYCLV

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So if I am only looking to do solid blue, I don't need to get a controller. I'm sorry if I'm being slightly slow on the upload. I have never run audio or leds before. I am looking to do what @toddaltpeter was saying about going to courtesy switch

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Correct no controller needed, just hook up ground and the blue wire to 12v.

RNYCLV

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Correct no controller needed, just hook up ground and the blue wire to 12v.
So being completely new, If i replace my current speakers I can use the current speaker wires for the speakers I would only need to run a ground to 12v
I know its like talking to a 5 year old .....

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since I've never done something like this I'll have to find some diagrams of how to do this. But I like this idea.
My personal recommendation would be to put a breaker on a bus bar for the entire system, just makes life easier then dealing with in line fuses.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
how was creative audio to work with? I have some speakers in the cart but havent pulled the trigger yet
how was creative audio to work with? I have some speakers in the cart but havent pulled the trigger yet
Got all my speakers and amps through them a year ago. Good Service.

RNYCLV

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry I mispoke. The manual outlines how to hook it up. Black wire is 12v+, the color you want is grounded. You can ground 1,2, or 3 of wires to create a color.

I would also reccomend some RBG speaker wire: Amazon.com: Stinger SEASRGB120 120 Feet of 6-Conductor Wire. Two 16-Gauge Speaker Wires and 20-Gauge RGB LED Wiring : Electronics

I really just need to get my business going and offer packages to you guys lol
Thank you for the information.

toddaltpeter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I just pulled some low voltage led wire 91CmsxkVnUL._AC_SX679_.jpg

The amp I put in is only 50W per channel, so I reused the existing speaker wire. That said, if I was doing it again, I would use the wire recommended above or something like it. That way if you want to go big on an amp in the future, you are ready. It'll be the same degree of difficulty to pull either of them. It's just 3x more expensive. But hey, anything under $250 is a miscellaneous expense in the boating world anyway and you know you'll eventually want more power. It's a disease that every person on this forum is afflicted with!

To be clean on the install you could use something like this

719t2YzOufL._SX522_.jpg

1. Cut the Courtesy light output wire and attach to screw position 1
2. Attach the other half of cut wire to screw position 2
3 attach led's to screws 3,4,5,6
4 attach jumper bar to other side

Do the same for the ground wires. These are 8 connection. you could probably find a 6. I didn't look very hard.

Good luck.

toddaltpeter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Opps. Just saw you ordered 4 pairs. Same concept, led's to 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. you'll need a 10 terminal not an 8.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Following. I’m replicating if you can keep the budget to $1k. The challenge I’m finding is in the head unit and/or amp. (I need to replace everything.)

If I get a good HU, it probably won’t drive more than four speakers well. If I get a good amp, I still gotta drop $300 for any HU worth getting, but I’m not using its amp.

I feel like getting no HU and plugging a Bluetooth dongle directly into the amp. (I’m sure there is a reason to why that doesn’t work, or isn’t a good idea. )

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm a huge fan of JL I run their M6 series, this is the second boat that I am doing this set up on. Just finished installing my 7.7 speakers today. Looking sharp unfortunately its not a $1000 budget though, but if you piece it together over time it would be well worth it. I am kind of an audio head though and that guy out at the sand bar.A59B5B16-C809-408C-BBE1-01393E9DF7E9.jpeg97E04B32-7BE7-40A7-ABF6-3E48BB119B91.jpeg574F010C-4F2A-4F73-AD26-C81BA17B8E08.jpeg

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The 280/4 has plenty of power and reserve for dynamic power, well over 50w/ch. If you're going to do mid-cabins for a total of 8 speakers, I would suggest you go with a pair of 280/4 and drive each speaker directly, and leave the tweeters wired to the head unit as it doesn't need much power. The advantage of using two amps allows each channel to drive to full power with reserve headroom and greater damping factor at 4 ohms. This helps to contribute to better mid-bass punch.

This also means you don't need to wire in fuses or breakers as the 280/4 has inline fuses, which saves you money, time and hassle. The 500/4 and most other similar amps require you to wire in a 50 amp fuse.
ok, I think I've decided on this route. The twin 280/4s with each speaker on it's own channel. Now I just need to decide on speakers. Either buy 2 polks and add those mid cabin, or buy 4 kickers and replace the current cabin speakers. Basically making the cabin a Kicker zone and the bow and stern a polk zone. Or, simply buy 2 JL 650s for the new mid cabin speakers, and call it a day.