• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stereo upgrade help

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I went with polk pad4000.4 amp, for $199 it seems to be a great deal, then for speakers, polk mm652 6.5inch

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well my saga continues I picked a poor mounting location and it has given me fits. I had to wait on another part to come in which arrived today so I went down to the boat to finish up finally and finally have everything mounted and powered up. I was about to start cleaning up the wires and decided to test everything first so I turned it on and quickly realized nothing is coming from the subwoofer. I tested it and the JL amp that is powering it about two weeks ago and everything worked so now I have to go back and process through everything to find the issue. The amp is powering on and the protection light is off so it appears to be all good there. I guess my process will start with switching the RCA's from the polk amp and see if that doesn't work I will run the Subs speaker wire to the polk amp and make sure its not the sub. I was messing with some of the settings before mounting I'm hoping I turned the gain down and forgot about it or something but if thats not the case I have to imagine there is an issue with the amp. The Polk PAD 40004 works great and I was surprised at 75% volume I only set the gain at about 1/3 and that was about as loud as I could ever need any more then that was too loud.

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
lots of the parts i ordered are now arriving, just waiting on some additional speaker wire and ill be ready to plan the install.... @robert843, where did you mount it hat it caused problems?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
lots of the parts i ordered are now arriving, just waiting on some additional speaker wire and ill be ready to plan the install.... @robert843, where did you mount it hat it caused problems?
I keep to much stuff in the helm console so I choose to mount them under the rear passenger seat on the captains side in the wood closest to the captains chair. If I only had one amp it would have been ok but squeezing two amps there has proven to be a pain. Biggest advantage to using some type of mount and setting up under the helm is being able to do some wiring outside the boat this required a lot of work to be done with me stuffed in that compartment also making wiring difficult. I literally probably have 6-8 working hours involved already in my install and still not complete but I did have to wire 15 LED lights as well.

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Im trying to keep it pretty simple at first, my plan is to mount the amp at the helm and run the power/ground back to the battery. from there i think any additions might be a little easier to set up

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So got back down there today and I guess when I was adjusting settings the polarity switch wasn't pushed all the way to zero so it wasn't working but once changed everything worked fine on the sub amp as well. Here are some pics of my mounting location which was under the starboard side rear seat on the wall closest to the captains chair it was an extreme pain mounting two amps there I would not recommend this spot unless you were to pull this wood out of the boat first as it was a lot of working trying to squeeze two amps in this spot and mount them while stuffed in the compartment. I still have some wire clean up today and yes I know the JL amp is upside down but once again poor location choice dictated that but overall they are out the way and I didn't really loose any space from them being installed.

IMG_3284[1].JPG IMG_3287[1].JPG IMG_3288[1].JPG IMG_3290[1].JPG IMG_3291[1].JPG