• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stuck cleanout plugs

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@sailorkane, Julian’s rebuild video in this thread should help you understand how the plug works.

Are you certain that you do not have the twist plugs? I am uncertain if they had a locking mechanism.

Pushing the unlock button should release the dogs. I have never tried to look to see if they have unlocked. You may be able to check with a flashlight. Disassembling the plugs in place might be an option for you.

I would tap the top of the plug downward with a long brass drift or even a 2x4 to see if the dogs respond. Then ice up the plugs and see if they will pull.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@sailorkane, you should go ahead and order replacement bottom halves.

sailorkane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Here's a photo of the cleanout plug. It looks like the 2000-2016 style to me: not twist, but not the 1999 version with wire to hold it down. I watched the video, but it just includes rebuilding the plug. I assume that when you push the "unlock" button, the t-bar "pops" and releases the catch. Mine doesn't pop. I haven't found a video yet of how it pops, though one that uses a 2x4 was also helpful. Just pulling on it when the catches are frozen may not be a good idea? Port cleanout plug.jpgPort cleanout plug.jpg

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Your plug is a push button style and it is totally frozen in place, so the first thing you need to do is fill the hole above the plug with ice. let it sit for an hour keep putting ice in as it melts if necessary, this will retract the parts and create some room between the plug and the tube.
Next go around the edge of the plug closest to the tube wall and use a piece of wood like a 1 by 2 or a similar piece and place it on the edge of the plug working around in a circle while taping on the wood with a hammer to get the plug loose don't hit it hard just tap it easily. Next take a rope and tie it to the T handle and use a 2 by 4 tied to the other end a couple of feet up the 2 by 4, . Push the button down and place a piece of swim noodle or foam or towel in on top of the button to hold it down. This video shows how the inside of the plug operates and how the plastic tray releases the locking dogs so if the button is not down the parts are not released if the T handle is still down.
. Now pry up on the 2 by 4 and see if you make any progress removing the plug if it does not come out go back and tap around the plug with the board and hammer once more. and continue this process until the plug comes loose.

sailorkane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Sir, you are awesome. Thanks so much for the reply. I can see an EZ lock in my future....

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Once you remove the plugs get part number FOR-67609-09-00 for each plug this will make it easy to install and remove the plugs and yes you should add the EZ locks to those plugs to prevent the opposite problem called plug blowout

sailorkane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I have watched your video many times. Still struggling to see how the unlock button releases the dogs and pops the handle. The left one unlock button will move perhaps 1/8". The right one has a lot more travel. Not sure which one is correct. I am just trying to pop the handle right now--getting the plugs out will be next step. I applied a lot of pressure to the handle while pushing on the unlock button. Appear to me that excessive pressure might just clamp the t-handle in there tight?!? Is pushing the unlock button a positive unlatch of the t-handle, or does it just allow the spring to remove the latch? I tapped the edges and used ice. And soaked in clr. So far, no joy. BTW, the left unlock button can be removed easily. Just pull it up. Does this gain me anything? I'm going to repeat the ice and tapping several more times...

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The push button should not be able to be removed at all the t handle and dogs are frozen in place so the t handle will not pop up you have to use a 2 by 4 or a jack to get the plugs to come out. Sounds like the one plug release is totally no good all they do is move the try back allowing the t handle to pop up you may need to use a board under the clean out and a jack to push it up from under the boat don't expect the T handle to release on it's own if everything is frozen up inside.

jjtherocketman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
This is an old thread, but last post was less than 6 months old, so hoping to get a reply. I'm new to jetboats. 2000 LS2000 (first year of this style cleanout plug). My cleanout plugs apparently were never out, or not for a L.O.N.G. time. (The latch key took a ton of pb blaster and persuasion to even get the hatch open). I have the t-handle with "Push Lock" written on the top, and "Push Unlock" on a button below the t-handle. I push the unlock button and nothing happens. Pull on t-handle and it won't budge. What is supposed to happen? Does pushing on the unlock button cause the t-handle to "pop" and free up the catches? Before pulling on the t-handle with a jack, I'd like to believe the catches are released--how do I know that? They are probably not releasing right now....
What SHOULD happen is that the T-Handle should "pop up" about a half inch? It's retracting the catch/pawls that are engaged with the sides of the tube that the plug is down in. IF you try to jack them out without those catches released, yes, you'll be doing damage (if you can even get them out). I'm going to try and attach a couple pictures of mine so you can see them and understand better how they work. One picture will show the latches engaged (extended out about quarter inch) and the second will show them retracted to remove the plugs.20210504_083544.jpg20210504_083532.jpg
I hope this is helpful. IF they are stuck solid in the engaged position, I unfortunately don't know how to help you break them loose, but I would NOT suggest pulling until you get them to release and pop up.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That is how the dogs work but if his are corroded they won't pop up thus the reason I told him to be sure the release buttons are down like using a rag or piece of swim noodle to hold the buttons down while he try to pull the plugs out. this will allow the dogs to retract while he tries moving the plug up.

sailorkane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Thanks for all the advice, guys. These have been in there 20 years and are not budging. I am also concerned about doing damage, esp to the tube itself. So jacking it from the bottom will just try to rip the engaged dogs out of the tube, probably damaging the tube. Sounds like its time to leave them alone. New rebuild kits are $26-50 on Amazon. New complete plugs are $200-250. If I were Ok with getting a complete new plug, how to destructively remove the plug without damaging the tube??? What would removing the screws in the top do?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have never done it but I believe several people here have if I recall correctly they took all the plug mechanism out and then broke the bottom part to get it out as those are available called a rebuild kit. perhaps someone who has done that will jump in

sailorkane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Well, a little progress. On port side, nothing. On starboard side, the T-Handle is loose and the unlock button may be working. The right side of starboard plug seems to be released. I can put a thin metal (a hose clamp band) between plug and tube, down about 1". I assume that means the dog has released on the right side. The left side of SB plug, the t-handle is not as high, and I cannot get the metal band between plug and tube. So I assume the left dog has not released. Switched from CLR to PB Blaster now. Hoping to free up some corrosion.
Still nothing on port plug.

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
well take the one apart that has the t handle up

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If I were Ok with getting a complete new plug, how to destructively remove the plug without damaging the tube??? What would removing the screws in the top do?
If I had to remove a plug that is stuck, I would remove the top of the plug, drill a hole in the bottom of the plug and use a reciprocating saw to cut the bottom of the plug in half from the hole I drilled. Be sure you have the rebuild kits on hand.
The screws in the top of the plug hold the top and bottom together.

sailorkane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Like a number of projects recently, its one I wish I had not started. Now that I started the SB one, I cannot leave it like this. All kind of sand and crap in the mechanism, so the T-handle will also not click down and latch any more. Can't be removed because the left side dog is still firmly in place and won't budge. So I can't run it like this. I'll leave the port one alone and just continue to work the SB handle until I can get it out and rebuild it.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I forgot to mention that it may be easier to cut the bottom of the plug out from underneath the boat but there is a risk that the bolts that hold intake grate in place may be frozen and the nuts embedded in the hull will strip out allowing the bolts to spin freely instead of spin out of the nuts.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
ok so the garbage in the plug is what is keeping the doge from releasing,, as in my video water gets inside the plug and trash gets in preventing the tray to go forward to lock however in this case the dirt is so bad it has prevented the parts from releasing .. here is what I would try, loosen the screws on top but no dot try to remove the top yet just back them off a turn or 2, then use a power hose nozzle in the hole around the edge of the plug to wash out some of the sand, and then continue using the 2 by 4 and the rope to pull up on the plug and continue washing it. you should get enough sand out for the dog to release.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I had to remove a plug that is stuck, I would remove the top of the plug, drill a hole in the bottom of the plug and use a reciprocating saw to cut the bottom of the plug in half from the hole I drilled. Be sure you have the rebuild kits on hand.
The screws in the top of the plug hold the top and bottom together.
My dogs are released and I removed the screws and still can’t remove the tops they are so frozen in.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My dogs are released and I removed the screws and still can’t remove the tops they are so frozen in.
That’s a tough position to be in. Condsider jacking the trailer/boat up (one side at a time), wedging a 2”x4” between the ground and the bottom of the plug and lowering the trailer/boat back down, slowly. Hopefully the weight of the boat will be enough to push the plug back up though the access tube or at least free the plug without damaging the top half. You get the bottom half with the rebuild kits so it doesn’t matter if you damage or destroy it. Please report back on you progress whatever you decide to do. Good luck.