• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stuck cleanout plugs

Jgonzalez114

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
just took possession of my first boat. 2016 242x. was going through it today (first day). found the plugs are stuck. tried prying and tapping. decided to stop and do some research. I want to run the boat this week and weekend so I didn't want to destroy anything. thanks for all the posts. I can be sure dogs are releasing and once we pull it from the water can start trying to yank the plugs.
Hello Brian,
I just went through this a few weeks ago on a 2008 AR210 I acquired late last year. I have no idea how long those plugs were in but I can tell you there was so much salt and mineral build up I had to cut my plugs out. Ended up buying new ones because I broke the T handle on one of them using the lift jack method. Mine were truly cemented in there. I spent weeks putting in clr to break up the mineral deposits, lubricants, ice and nothing worked. I don’t say this to discourage you. Your boat is much newer and I hope with some patience you won’t breaks your like I did. The good side to my story is I took everything out from that bilge area and cleaned the bilge and put new SS clamps on all the exhaust tubes and manhole tubes. Most of them were snapped or about to snap. Also added a 2nd bilge pump with float direct to the house battery.

Yoziyo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I used engine hoist after after applying lubricant

Brian B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So far I have pretty much given up. Been spending the time and money on other things like ballast, wakesurf board and fuel!!! Now our jetski blew the engine so a replacment on the list. Im at lake havasu in AZ, if you stay out of the coves there isn't much grass. I'm not looking forward to paying to replace both plugs and we may never use them!! Also two plugs are the price of a new board!! I think I'll bring my floor jack out this winter and rig something up and see what i can do. I dont want to buy before its broken and don't want to break it and not be able to be on the water.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here is a way to get those out when they refuse to cooperate.
First pour vinegar and water on top of the plugs and let them sit overnight lime away can also be used , next mix some car wash soap with hot water and put some in on top of the plugs after a hour fill the holes with ice, let that sit until the ice melts .
Then using a hammer and a 2 by 2 or similar object work around the edge of the plug tapping the wood with the hammer on the edge of the plug. Then use a 2 by 4 and a rope tied to the t handle pres the red button and try to pry the plug up and out.
If it does not come loose go back and repeat the tapping around the edge process and the rope on the 2 by 4 until it comes loose, do not keep going one way it just wedges the dirt and corrosion in tighter, in the end it usually works without doing any damage.

Brian B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'll give it a shot around christmas...keep my fingers crossed until then. Thanks for the pointers.

jjtherocketman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Ok guys, could use some help finding repair kits for my clean out plugs. Thanks to everyone here, I was able to finally get those stuck plugs OUT using the floor jack technique and MANY MANY thanks to you all! But now that I have them out, I can't seem to find the correct kit for these plugs. This is for a 2000 LS2000 which if I'm reading it right, should be F0R-67690-03-00 That's the part number for a new plug assembly. I just want the repair kit please. Anybody have a link they can quickly share so I can get these on order?

hatrik8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Try looking for
F0R-67609-09-00

jjtherocketman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Ok guys, could use some help finding repair kits for my clean out plugs. Thanks to everyone here, I was able to finally get those stuck plugs OUT using the floor jack technique and MANY MANY thanks to you all! But now that I have them out, I can't seem to find the correct kit for these plugs. This is for a 2000 LS2000 which if I'm reading it right, should be F0R-67690-03-00 That's the part number for a new plug assembly. I just want the repair kit please. Anybody have a link they can quickly share so I can get these on order?
Nevermind, I found what appears to be the correct kit on Amazon.

jjtherocketman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Yep, that's the kit I ordered. Appreciate the response.
Just cleaning up the plugs helped a LOT! Before, they were coated in mud and gunk and barely functioned mechanically. Didn't break them down completely and pull the arms out, but even just a good hot bucket of suds got them functioning again. When the kits come in, I'll evaluate how they're working and either keep the rebuild kits as a future need or swap out parts. But amazing how some people won't do just basic maintenance on their hardware. All in all, the boat I bought was in decent shape except these plugs.......so far ;-)

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You may want to add EZ locks to those once you rebuild them because the rebuild kit does nothing for the internal locking mechanisms it replaces the bottom section and the gasket around the plug. That set has been in for a long time. 2000 was the first year they made that style of plug

jjtherocketman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
You may want to add EZ locks to those once you rebuild them because the rebuild kit does nothing for the internal locking mechanisms it replaces the bottom section and the gasket around the plug. That set has been in for a long time. 2000 was the first year they made that style of plug
Not familiar with EZ Locks? What are they, how do they work, and where do I get them? The existing locks certainly aren't in perfect shape, got some dings on them, but they appear to look like they will still perform as planned....

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Cobra EZ-Locks
and

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not familiar with EZ Locks? What are they, how do they work, and where do I get them? The existing locks certainly aren't in perfect shape, got some dings on them, but they appear to look like they will still perform as planned....
This is cheap insurance and I would advise purchasing them or doing something to "lock" them in place,

you always know the plugs are locked with them installed and it's physically impossible for the dogs to let go with them installed,

jjtherocketman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
So now I have a different question. After getting my stuck plugs OUT, cleaning them up and reassembling while I wait for the repair kits to come in, I was hoping to just use the cleaned up plugs with the old rubber gaskets. I can't get them back in! The rubber appears to have been stretched/swollen to the point that it sticks out past the bottom plug/manhole cover and it doesn't want to fit back down in the hole. The obvious answer is, well just wait for the new repair kits to come in and replace and it'll be fine. But I was hoping to get this boat out on the water this weekend and I might not have the new kits in until next week. Is there a clever way to squeeze the gaskets to get them back down in that hole? Yes, I may be asking for trouble getting them back out later LOL, but since I've been through getting them out when they were coated with silt and scum, I figured it can't get much harder to remove them then that. Dumb question perhaps?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Did you put any type of solvent like wd 40 in the holes to loosen the plugs if so you probably have a chemical reaction to that solvent swelling the seals , Place them in warm water with dish soap to remove any left over solvent, and hopefully allow them to go back to their original shape, only use spray furniture wax like pledge on the gasket I have been discovering even silicon spray may have solvents mixed in it now .

jjtherocketman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length

jjtherocketman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Nevermind guys, I see WHY they won't go back down now.....the other thread had this first picture and the second picture here is MY plug with swollen rubber gasket....Holy Cow, no wonder it won't go back in! I just didn't know what I didn't know since I've never seen a good plug and what it should look like. Now I understand.

Attachments

sailorkane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
This is an old thread, but last post was less than 6 months old, so hoping to get a reply. I'm new to jetboats. 2000 LS2000 (first year of this style cleanout plug). My cleanout plugs apparently were never out, or not for a L.O.N.G. time. (The latch key took a ton of pb blaster and persuasion to even get the hatch open). I have the t-handle with "Push Lock" written on the top, and "Push Unlock" on a button below the t-handle. I push the unlock button and nothing happens. Pull on t-handle and it won't budge. What is supposed to happen? Does pushing on the unlock button cause the t-handle to "pop" and free up the catches? Before pulling on the t-handle with a jack, I'd like to believe the catches are released--how do I know that? They are probably not releasing right now....