• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stuck cleanout plugs

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Anyone ever use silicone pool lube to coat the plugs and avoid the issue?
That should work fine. Any kind of silicone lubricant used every week or so should keep your plugs soft and pliable. I have "3in1" brand silicone spray for this purpose (no-name brands have less silicone in them). I spray all plugs, drains, rubber parts, that contact water. I use it for lubing hinges too like the cleanout cover. I also use it with a cloth on the rubber seals around the engine hatch and ski locker a couple times during the summer and before winter storage.

kuwona

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Got the tops off. Took some courage to keep adding one more pump in the jack. On the port side, white plastic piece with rod and spring stayed waiting for me on top of the plug bottom. On the starboard side, all those parts made a run for it but I chased them down in the archiological dig in the bilge area. Now... Is there a consensus on how to cut out the bottoms without marring up the tube? Also, should I disassemble the the tops prior to putting them back in service?

Attachments

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@kuwona, It is amazing that your plugs are so stuck. Do you think they are glued in?

I think I would start by drilling or perhaps hole sawing out the middle of the plug. That might let it contract a little. Then I would get something T shaped though the hole that will catch on the edges. Something like you would use to anchor inside a sheetrock wall. Or you could just drill a hole, install an eye bolt with a washer and nut screwed on by an arm reaching into the jet tunnel with the pump pulled. Then park under a tree or use an engine hoist to pull up on the bottom of the plug.

If that method pulls the plug out you made progress, if it enlarges the hole you made progress.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are looking to cut, try to avoid using a powered cutter if possible. If something slips, and you hack up the tube, you might be waiting quite a while for a replacement part, IF you can get a replacement tube. I'd drill into the middle, and then use something like a drywall jab saw, and cut from the middle outward, kind of like a star pattern.

Like @Bruce asked, I gotta wonder how they're so stuck at this point other than the possibility that they're glued in 🤷‍♂️

At least you're down to the plastic parts, shouldn't be too long before you can make some progress towards completion. Good luck

kuwona

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I cut the bottoms out pretty well. I should have taken a picture before I started brushing, but you can see the calcified mojo has really built up in there. I'm using an abrasive wheel on a drill to clean it off...PXL_20220314_222943442.jpgPXL_20220314_222924122.jpgPXL_20220314_222916459.jpgPXL_20220314_222908453.jpg

ellj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine were stuck. Used a 2x4 and a hammer to help knock it loose.

Mike's

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got mine out from under the boat (on the trailer);) - Centered point of pry bar on bottom and hammered it up. I did dump a bunch of ice in the top (not sure how much that helped). Once they were out and rebuilt I now use bearing grease on them along with sanding around the inside edges of the metal ring. 1 year later still still works great!