• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stuck cleanout plugs

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would source a new plug before you destroy that one, last I remember they are hard to find,

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So after nearly 20 years of Yamaha jet boating I finally made the mistake of leaving my plug installed for too long. I left the boat on its lift over the winter and neglected to pull the plugs. Sure enough, they were stuck. Took me about an hour total and I was able to get them out. The single best approach I took was using a long (4 foot long) wooden closet hanging rod (1.5"? wooden dowel) and a hammer. I took the rod and hammered the plug DOWN and at an angle as much as I could on various parts of the top of the plug. This loosens up the crap that is sticking the plug in. Then I used the same rod with a rope loop over it and hooked to the plug as leverage to pull the plugs out. Worked like a charm for me. And yes....the rubber skirts on both plugs are swollen to the point that I didn't even try to force them back in. I just ordered the rebuild kit and will replace them ($45 each).

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
And you forgot to use ice lol. but that process usually works, same method works with stuck spark plugs ,back and forth with some oil in with the plug and it will usually come out with some patience.

sailorkane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Good for you. Not very badly stuck, then. On my starboard one, the push button latch was working OK--it did release the locks, but wouldn't come out. I did all the usual things (hammering, ice, pb blaster...) and then had to put a bar over the swim platform and a heavy duty ratchet strap. But I needed a 4x4 for the bar. Anything less would have bent and broken. I bent a putty knife into a curve and hammered it around the edge of the plug to unstick the rubber seal. Finally it popped with a loud "pop". That was the "easy" starboard one. Never did get the port one out; on it the push button latch was frozen; needs to be cut out.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Good for you. Not very badly stuck, then. On my starboard one, the push button latch was working OK--it did release the locks, but wouldn't come out. I did all the usual things (hammering, ice, pb blaster...) and then had to put a bar over the swim platform and a heavy duty ratchet strap. But I needed a 4x4 for the bar. Anything less would have bent and broken. I bent a putty knife into a curve and hammered it around the edge of the plug to unstick the rubber seal. Finally it popped with a loud "pop". That was the "easy" starboard one. Never did get the port one out; on it the push button latch was frozen; needs to be cut out.
try removing the screws and pull out the top half leaving the bottom half and then you only need the bottom half with gasket in the kit.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So after nearly 20 years of Yamaha jet boating I finally made the mistake of leaving my plug installed for too long. I left the boat on its lift over the winter and neglected to pull the plugs. Sure enough, they were stuck. Took me about an hour total and I was able to get them out. The single best approach I took was using a long (4 foot long) wooden closet hanging rod (1.5"? wooden dowel) and a hammer. I took the rod and hammered the plug DOWN and at an angle as much as I could on various parts of the top of the plug. This loosens up the crap that is sticking the plug in. Then I used the same rod with a rope loop over it and hooked to the plug as leverage to pull the plugs out. Worked like a charm for me. And yes....the rubber skirts on both plugs are swollen to the point that I didn't even try to force them back in. I just ordered the rebuild kit and will replace them ($45 each).
And if I remember correctly, you've got the newer push-twist plugs, right? AND didn't you just rebuild them this past season? Ouch! Sounds like the rebuild was a much better sealing plug, which caused this.

The more I read about these plugs, the more I think my plugs aren't sealing properly, or at least aren't sealing very well. With all of the other things I did to remove water from the cleanout tray, I'm not so sure I'm dissatisfied with them not doing their job very well, since I've got such an easy time removing them. I can't recall if I left mine in the boat, so Murphy's law says that I did, and that when I pull the boat out of storage, they'll finally be stuck.

Here's hoping a rebuild kit won't be on backorder for months on end.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
And if I remember correctly, you've got the newer push-twist plugs, right? AND didn't you just rebuild them this past season? Ouch! Sounds like the rebuild was a much better sealing plug, which caused this.

The more I read about these plugs, the more I think my plugs aren't sealing properly, or at least aren't sealing very well. With all of the other things I did to remove water from the cleanout tray, I'm not so sure I'm dissatisfied with them not doing their job very well, since I've got such an easy time removing them. I can't recall if I left mine in the boat, so Murphy's law says that I did, and that when I pull the boat out of storage, they'll finally be stuck.

Here's hoping a rebuild kit won't be on backorder for months on end.
Yes, I did rebuild them at the start of last season as they were getting harder to remove and re-insert. 2017 was the year they started the new twist in plugs - so I don't have those. This is the first year I've left the boat on the lift throughout winter. I'm going to have to pay much closer attention to my routines to ensure I take care of them better -- I got lazy and paid the price! Fortunately $100 isn't a major hit!

sailorkane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
try removing the screws and pull out the top half leaving the bottom half and then you only need the bottom half with gasket in the kit.
Need to release the locks. It appears to me that unscrewing the bottom only releases the bottom part. The top needs to be disassembled to get the stuck locks unstuck. Can disassemble the top without getting to the side of the plug. No access. I purchased a complete replacement plug. Just can't get the old one out.

Last edited:

kuwona

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Just wanted to share that yes that thing I was afraid would happen... Happened.

Just wanted to join the stuck plug club thread. I have tapped and sprayed with liquid wrench. I used an air hammer to vibrate all around the plug and unscrewed the 8 screws. The top half is stuck, but I haven't used the jack on just the top half. (I broke the tray when the plug was still screwed together).

Attachments

sailorkane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length

Just wanted to join the stuck plug club thread. I have tapped and sprayed with liquid wrench. I used an air hammer to vibrate all around the plug and unscrewed the 8 screws. The top half is stuck, but I haven't used the jack on just the top half. (I broke the tray when the plug was still screwed together).
If the latches on the side retract when you push the button, you have a chance. If not, no chance. If they retract, get a 4x4, span over the transom area, use strong ratchet strap or jack. I used a putty knife, with end bent to match the curve of the plug and hammered it all around the outside edge.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Yeah.....NEVER put pressure on the tray. It is far too thin to take ANY pressure.

kuwona

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I'll try. The dogs are disengaged. In fact I can't push down the t handle enough to get them to engage. The mechanism does move though.

sailorkane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Best bet is go to harbor freight. Get a cheap heavy duty putty knife. Put it in a vise and get a curve on the sharp end. Best way is get 2x4 and 4" hole saw and cut a plug from the 2x4. Put the putty knife between the pieces of the curved 2x4 section into the vise and crank it down. Get the curve to match the curve of your cleanout port as close as possible. Get a big hammer. Drive the putty knife around the outside of the port plug. All around it. Then use the 4x4 and jack/ratchet strap to apply upward pressure. I was unable to get to the plug from underneath, but you might try that also. When the tension gets high, look out. Mine popped when it released. For me, ice, pb blaster, tapping, etc did no good.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

You should be able to patch that crack up without a lot of hassle. In fact, you could probably just leave it, knowing that water coming in there is just going to drop into the bilge anyway.

I used a long piece of wood spanning the top part of the hatch, a floor Jack and a looped dockline and was able to pop my plugs free. This was after hitting it with a 7lb bag of ice.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anyone ever use silicone pool lube to coat the plugs and avoid the issue?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I wonder if ????? just had an idea!
Years ago I built a special end for a 5 pound slide hammer to help get stuck jet pumps out it works nicely.
So If an end could be made for the slide hammer so a person can use it to get a stuck plug out May be a problem solver ,easy effective and inexpensive like my EZ locks for those push button clean out plugs turned out to be many years ago.

sailorkane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I think a slide hammer would work well. Need a good way to attached to the plug, with no give, so the shock of the hammer is conveyed to the plug.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
that would be the easy part

sailorkane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Anyone ever use silicone pool lube to coat the plugs and avoid the issue?
I like this idea. Should be waterproof. I used anti-seize compound on the aluminum tubes. They have the copper colored and the silver colored. I used silver. Not enough experience to know if it worked.