• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sugar Sands Tango randomly dies or won't start

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry to hear you are still having issues.
I'd go for the rebuild v. Just the cleaning of the carbs since the carbs will be apart either way.

Hopefully this will resolve your problems and you can move on to the fun part of boat ownership. That saying you quoted isn't true for everyone.

Last edited:

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A rebuild and cleaning would be a good idea since they are one of the keys to preventative problems. You also cleaned/replaced up the fuel line and systems which was another good preventative fix. Looking to see some pics soon

Stormcat918

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey everyone! After grueling months of messing around with this issue, I have finally fixed the problem. I rebuilt all three cards as well as the fuel pump. Neither of them fixed the problem. At this point I knew that nothing in the fuel system was the problem. I found the service manual online and ran through testing of the electrical (spark) side of things. Turns out that one bank of cylinders was very intermittent. When I initially started troubleshooting this problem last year, my inline spark tester showed good on all cylinders which is why I originally target the fuel side. I disconnected the stator and trigger and found that one side of the stator was out of tolerance. I replaced the stator and that still didn't fix the problem. The only thing that was left that could cause an entire bank of cylinders to be intermittent was a switchbox. I replaced the switchbox this morning and she is running better than she ever has since I've owned the boat!

jeff B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi...a totally irrelevant question BUT...have just bought a Sugar Sand Tango with 175hp engine.
In your thread you indicate you run your boat at home out of the water.
I always thought you had to have water on the jet unit before running it...to protect certain bearings.
Would really appreciate your comments and advice re this issue....cheers

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Hi...a totally irrelevant question BUT...have just bought a Sugar Sand Tango with 175hp engine.
In your thread you indicate you run your boat at home out of the water.
I always thought you had to have water on the jet unit before running it...to protect certain bearings.
Would really appreciate your comments and advice re this issue....cheers
Hi Jeff You should have a flushing attachment on your engine Looks like a length of garden hose with a male plug in it. Likely clipped to the top rear of your engine, at least that's where it is on my 240. Hook up to hose, turn on water and then start motor. Ok to run at idle, don't rev it up though.

jeff B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes, I do have that connection, my concern is about runnning the actual jet unit out of the water. I have previously owned Hamilton Jets and these must be “in the water” before running up as the bearings are all water cooled...
Are you indicating that the water from the hose passes through the engine and then int9 the jet unit, thereby ensuring the units bearings are already lubricated?
Cheers and many thanks for your assistance
Jef& B

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Yes, I do have that connection, my concern is about runnning the actual jet unit out of the water. I have previously owned Hamilton Jets and these must be “in the water” before running up as the bearings are all water cooled...
Are you indicating that the water from the hose passes through the engine and then int9 the jet unit, thereby ensuring the units bearings are already lubricated?
Cheers and many thanks for your assistance
Jef& B
Ok to run on hose. The pump bearings run in an oil bath both fore and aft of the impeller, which by the way, should be changed annually

Bill

WILL IHNE

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
This sounds exactly like the issue I am having with my 2001 Tango 4x2 with the 175

WILL IHNE

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
After a fuel pump rebuild mine is starting right up and stays running for the moment, I will be heading out to the water this coming Sunday and will have a update afterwards

WILL IHNE

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Be sure that the block to pump gasket is correct on it

Attachments

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The hose with the hose fitting on it is the flushing adapter and not for running the engine out of the water, at least with the 90 and 120 hp motors. I have seen this in 175 manual excerpts as an additional cooling line for low speed operations.
In the smaller engines there is a dealer engine adapter that screws in the end of the hose from the jet cooling output to the block.
This fills the engine from the bottom to the top and overflows down the heads etc into the exhaust, cooling the exhaust as well.
In the smaller engines there is a warning about running or starting the engine without the cooling water hose due to build up of gasoline vapor in the space around the ride plate and blowing out the plate.
Since the larger engines have a different exhaust system this may not be an issue.