• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Super Charger clutch fail?

ldefoggi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I know this has been discussed a lot and I did search a lot for this topic…. But I can’t seem to find the question or info I’m looking for.

I have a 2017 AR195, about 310 hours on it. I just put a new impeller and wear ring on it and the boat has been running fantastic! Had a full family load pulling tubes and wake boards with no issues.

I got on the tube with my daughter and my friend was pulling us around, after a couple runs, he went to take off and the boat would not rev past 5500 RPM. We stopped and checked everything. Nothing in the shaft/impeller, and it didn’t feel damaged. The cleanout plug was all the way seated. I checked the air cleaner box, no foam or debris in the intake tube. Oil level is good, and the are no unusual vibrations. Doesn’t seem like it’s misfiring so I don’t think it’s a spark plug or coil.

I did check to see if the SC will spin freely and this is where I’m second guessing myself. I can move it both directions, with one direction being easier than the other. Everything I’ve found in searches indicates that when these SC clutches fail the SC will FREELY spin in both directions. I’m just not getting that, so my question is if I can turn this SC in both directions, but not free spin, does that still indicate a bad clutch?

I do recall hearing almost like a whistle when the engine would idle before but now I do not. Related? Maybe I’m imagining it…

Apologies if this has already been asked, and for creating ANOTHER SC clutch thread…

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I do not have a boat like yours but, if the SC wheel can spin in both directions the clutch is bad.

If the engine will only rev to 5500 rpm is another clear cut sign from everything I’ve read that the SC clutch is bad.

Again, based on everything I’ve read I’d be installing on of the blow off valves to protect the SC clutch.

Well I dug around and couldn’t find any other explanation, so I removed the clutch today, got the gasket surface cleaned up and now just waiting on the new clutch and gasket to arrive!

Well done! Did you check out the blow off valves?

I did, I ordered a BOV kit from MacsBoost.com.

MACSBOOST BOV kit

I ordered the new clutch from PWCparts.com and the description says its OEM but it’s an upgraded clutch for 2014 and up SVHO. Not sure when the upgrade would’ve happened, as my boat is a 2017. And from the looks of the oil pump housing and bolts it’s never been apart. So with 310 hours and 7 years old I’ll call that a win no matter what!

SC Clutch kit

I watched a video on YouTube that discussed needing to prime the oil pump / Supercharger. There’s a small bolt to remove on top of the gear side of the SC that’ll bleed off air. Seems pretty simple, remove the bolt, start the engine and let the air bleed off til oil comes out the bolt hole then stop the engine and replace the bolt.

I’ll post an update when I get everything back together!

MACSBOOST BOV kit

I ordered the new clutch from PWCparts.com and the description says its OEM but it’s an upgraded clutch for 2014 and up SVHO. Not sure when the upgrade would’ve happened, as my boat is a 2017. And from the looks of the oil pump housing and bolts it’s never been apart. So with 310 hours and 7 years old I’ll call that a win no matter what!

SC Clutch kit

I watched a video on YouTube that discussed needing to prime the oil pump / Supercharger. There’s a small bolt to remove on top of the gear side of the SC that’ll bleed off air. Seems pretty simple, remove the bolt, start the engine and let the air bleed off til oil comes out the bolt hole then stop the engine and replace the bolt.

I would not run it to bleed off, i would remove the coils and plugs and just crank. Running it may cause a mess. Just a thought. But good find on the cluch being blown.
Definitely should only spun one way.
And get a blow off valve, it will extend the cluch life .

MACSBOOST BOV kit

SC Clutch kit

Great job!

I love to see folks aggressively get after their repairs like this. You’ll be back on the water soon making good memories!

Back