• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX 192 Mods

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@DBamaC I looked around today at Lowes, NAPA and Auto Zone and none of them had 1/2" barb Y fittings. So I'm going to order one. Be sure you order some that can withstand the temps. If you end up ordering the 10 pack let me know and I'll just buy one off ya and meet you somewhere local.

I finished installing the SVHO intercooler and have grabbed all the footage needed for the How-To install video. I used a T fitting to test the intercooler until the Y fitting comes in. Eventually I think I'll just run a new line to thru hull outlet like the other pissers. Just running the boat off the house water the pisser stream seems to be much stronger so that's a good sign already!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just finished editing the video and its rendering now. Should be uploaded to my YT channel tonight and I'll create a separate How-To thread fir it.

Attachments

Jetswu87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Went out again this weekend.

Hampton Roads area of Virginia. Took a trip from Suffolk to Smithfield for those familiar.

Had an SSE wind of 5-10 MPH sustained(more like 10), and took her out to "big water" holy cow there were white cap waves on the way out. Only was in the open area for about 15-20 min and then cleared up, no big deal. Figured ride home would be better with the wind at our backs, until the wind shifted and increased to 10-15 sustained....Talk about an uncomfortable ride in a 19ft Yami, never felt unsafe but just my back paid for it. Even the sections that were smooth on the way out were rougher than the ride there.

Anyway in the very short time i was able to open her up after 25-30mph cruising (45min ride each way) I got a consistent 7300-7350 RPM and best speed I saw was 48.6. Some chop and wind as stated above. Air temps 85, water 80. 2 adults, full tank of fuel and 1 nervous 60lb German Shepherd.

I keep meaning to check my throttle cable for slack.

sx998

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
very nice! how was WOT speed over time.
Just fine. I never held it too long. But I did a bunch of runs back to back then ate lunch and did some more. It always made it to 50 or more on the analog. No heat soak that I could tell.

WildBillF1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Went out by myself today. Full tank of 87. Only mod is the SVHO intercooler. Smooth water at sea level. GPS said 51.something with the current and 48 against it. I'm good with that.
View attachment 46583
That's great, I'll be stoked when I get my boat to perform like that. Any approximate guess as to what air/water temps are where you ran today?

Matt J

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Today I bought a SVHO IC from a guy on GreenHulk. Taken off a new 16 FZ with less than 3 hrs on it. So now I need to pick up a Y fitting and get some extra hose if I don't have some laying around the garage somewhere.

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Went out by myself today. Full tank of 87. Only mod is the SVHO intercooler. Smooth water at sea level. GPS said 51.something with the current and 48 against it. I'm good with that.
View attachment 46583
Thats great numbers, That intercooler does make a great difference, glade to here it has worked out.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Can't you buy something more universal? Does it mount a certain way that just makes it not possible?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I had a semi truck intercooler in my Mustang when it was turbo charged. I don't know if that kind of thing is possible with your guyses setup

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had a semi truck intercooler in my Mustang when it was turbo charged. I don't know if that kind of thing is possible with your guyses setup
We have water intercooler not air-to-air like on a car or truck. There are aftermarket intercoolers guys run on these boats like the Fizzle, Type 14, etc.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So took the boat out for some testing today with the SVHO intercooler. Water temp was 90 and air temp was 94. Right off the trailer I hit 7600 or a hair more and 49 MPH with Bimini stowed. Boat felt like it had more power but could be butt dyno but it did feel a little stronger thru he RPM range. After about 15 minutes or so my RPM dropped to around 7300 but I was able to keep about 47-48 MPH. Then as cruising I felt a drop in power so I slowed down and opened the engine hatch to find my clamp for the upper charge pipe had come loose from where it goes near the supercharger. Working on a hot ass motor on the water is NOT fun!! Went back to boat dock so I could work on it better and tighten down the clamp.

After that a friend of mine came to ride with me on the lake so we headed out and I got it up to 7300 RPM and 45-47 MPH going upstream against the current with Bimini deployed. Turned around at top of river and headed downstream with current and I hit 7300-7400 at 48 MPH.

SVHO intercooler definitely helps keep the temps down as my pisser was not really warm at all compared to he hot engine pisser. It helped me have a higher top speed even with same RPM's as stock intercooler. Feels a little stronger too. I think my next mod will be ribbon delete and that should get me 200-300 more RPM so that should put me at 7500 consistently all day. So there is still some heat soak but nowhere like before. Good mod for those wanting better cooling, performance and a stock look.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Air to water IC's are actually very popular in cars these days, some even coming stock, but definitely as aftermarket upgrades.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know they have them, I'm just talking about most performance car intercooler are usually air to air. i used to run water injection on my Dodge Neon SRT4 to get a denser charge at the track especially during hot summers. I went with a larger front mount IC over stock.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
http://www.frozenboost.com/air_water-ic/barrel-water-to-air-intercoolers-p-228.html
http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=AWIC022&Category_Code=AWICS

I don't know if this kinda stuff plugs right in or not. Water feed from pump into this and then straight out again would be a simple thing, but I don't know if the actual air inlet/outlet would work on these engines.
On the first page of this thread he is running a Frozen Boost Type 14 water to air intercooler like this one http://www.frozenboost.com/air_water-ic/water-to-air-intercoolers-p-214.html ;). Other shapes would work I suppose but that shape seems to fit to the side pretty good like the Fizzle one. If I didn't care about a stock look and wanted the best aftermarket I could get I would have went a Fizzle all the way but more expensive of course.

Buckeye Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Those who have put a cold air intake on their boats, have you noticd a difference? Also where did you get the parts?