• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

syphoning gas ....

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
does anyone run into an issue when syphoning gas out of their boat through fill line ? ... i tried this one time with no success , is there a check valve of some sort ... ?

does anyone run into an issue when syphoning gas out of their boat through fill line ? ... i tried this one time with no success , is there a check valve of some sort ... ?

Yes there is a fill line check valve. Is there a reason you’re trying to siphon gas out of your boat?

Yes there is a fill line check valve. Is there a reason you’re trying to siphon gas out of your boat?

3 reasons .. 1 encase i decide to tow long distance after winterizing , 2 encase i want to syphon stale gas out of boat into cars 3 god forbid a fuel crises i would want access to the fuel in the boat to transfer into my car or truck ...

On my 2008 I once stored it in my buddies warehouse, his insurer requested that the reservoir be empty, I removed the floor panel and access the reservoir by removing the pick up at the top of the tank and syphoned from there. DO NOT USE AN ELECTRIC SYPHONE. I used a manual one that I picked up from Wally Mart.

the check valve is designed to prevent gas from flowing back up the fill ... if this is not a check valve it is something different i.e an anti syphon valve ... so which is it ?

Most vehicles and boats in the last 20 years have a filter or screen in the fill line to prevent stealing fuel. If you need to remove fuel from the tank, remove the hatch cover, remove the pump or sender from the fuel tank, and siphon from there.

3 reasons .. 1 encase i decide to tow long distance after winterizing , 2 encase i want to syphon stale gas out of boat into cars 3 god forbid a fuel crises i would want access to the fuel in the boat to transfer into my car or truck ...

1. You don’t need to remove fuel to tow it.
2. If you treat the fuel before your last outing of the season, e.g. put fuel treatment in the tank and fill up, then go drive the boat around, the fuel will be good for a couple of years.
3.What @212s said.

3 reasons .. 1 encase i decide to tow long distance after winterizing ,
Towing has no effect on fuel, summer or winter. Towing weight of fuel is generally not a concern unless you're above the towing capacity, in which case I would recommend another tow vehicle instead of siphoning gas.
2 encase i want to syphon stale gas out of boat into cars
Not a good idea - stale gas is stale gas, and your vehicles will run poorly too with stale gas. As mentioned, add stabilizer according to directions and you're good.
3 god forbid a fuel crises i would want access to the fuel in the boat to transfer into my car or truck ...
Never gonna happen, unless Elon Musk takes over the world with electric cars...and he's not that greedy.
?

your a retard ! lol towing weight is towing weight and does make a difference and if someone is deciding to tow 1200 miles they would definate want to remove all fuel regardless of tow vehicle ... and i guess you are to young or dont know history ! and long fuel lines for hours upon hours where you werent allowed fuel on certain day according to your license plate ! the 70 s ... and just last May this year in certain states where people could not get gas because stations simply did not have any left ! , or perhaps you think ! during a storm when power goes out all station pumps will work without electric , .. dude stop trying to act all smart ... im just asking if anyone knows if there is a valve in the line of the 240s !
Another for the ignore list.

On my 2008 I once stored it in my buddies warehouse, his insurer requested that the reservoir be empty, I removed the floor panel and access the reservoir by removing the pick up at the top of the tank and syphoned from there. DO NOT USE AN ELECTRIC SYPHONE. I used a manual one that I picked up from Wally Mart.

yea i guess thats the right way if you needed to ... but who wants to start messing around with a tank that does not leak to begin with and with the sender unit .. just to get fuel .... has to be a better way

I think it's safe to say you are (correct use of you're) not going to like the answers we give you. I think most of us understand that towing with fuel actually mixes in the stabilizer we were supposed to put in the tank prior to storing it with 20-50 gallons of gas in it.

And if we are truly worried about that $60 worth a gas in a shortage, I'm sure it's safe to say, you probably skimped on a tow vehicle too. And you should be worrying about the tow weight with that additional few pounds. I can't believe all of us were such "retards" (as you put it) to think you could afford a proper tow vehicle with such high gas prices, and shortages.

You are right, we are wrong. Sorry to have wasted your time offering up answers to your questions. Maybe they know the answer on the "other forum" I know Steve will recommend you change your oil lines, even though you have a four stroke.

Good luck!

PS: note the "reaction score" of the member you are calling names. There is a good chance they gave out more good advice than bad.

I think it's safe to say you are (correct use of you're) not going to like the answers we give you. I think most of us understand that towing with fuel actually mixes in the stabilizer we were supposed to put in the tank prior to storing it with 20-50 gallons of gas in it.

And if we are truly worried about that $60 worth a gas in a shortage, I'm sure it's safe to say, you probably skimped on a tow vehicle too. And you should be worrying about the tow weight with that additional few pounds. I can't believe all of us were such "retards" (as you put it) to think you could afford a proper tow vehicle with such high gas prices, and shortages.

You are right, we are wrong. Sorry to have wasted your time offering up answers to your questions. Maybe they know the answer on the "other forum" I know Steve will recommend you change your oil lines, even though you have a four stroke.

Good luck!

PS: note the "reaction score" of the member you are calling names. There is a good chance they gave out more good advice than bad.

My tow vehicle is rated for over 10,000 lbs ... so its not an issue at all however if you have ever towed long distance as i have towed my boat on a over 1000mile trip summer with half a tank and the whole way i wished and wondered if id get a better tow gas mileage wise and wear and tear if i have had an empty tank ... i guess what you are trying to say is 50 gallons isnt much weight 8.34 x 50 = 417 lbs ... well some would say yes some would say no ... well i would think yes less weight is better for a extra long tow ! .... BTW this is just a small part of reason for wanting/ needing to syphon gas ... there are many others as ive listed .

To answer your question, no you can't syphon gas out of out boats. The only way to get the gas out of the tank is either to use the boat(burn the gas) or to remove the deck hatch and one sending unit. The second option will allow you access to the gas through a LARGE hole.

I have towed the boat long distance many times with a full tank and an empty tank and from my experiences I can tell you that the weight, there or not was not noticed & fuel mileage did not change. The trailers OE are rated for more than enough and if the tow vehicle is close to being maxed out due to how much fuel is in the boat then a different tow vehicle should be looked at.

My tow vehicle is rated for over 10,000 lbs ... so its not an issue at all however if you have ever towed long distance as i have towed my boat on a over 1000mile trip summer with half a tank and the whole way i wished and wondered if id get a better tow gas mileage wise and wear and tear if i have had an empty tank ... i guess what you are trying to say is 50 gallons isnt much weight 8.34 x 50 = 417 lbs ... well some would say yes some would say no ... well i would think yes less weight is better for a extra long tow ! .... BTW this is just a small part of reason for wanting/ needing to syphon gas ... there are many others as ive listed .

Since our boats have the same hull, I can relate. But when I towed mine 1700 miles one way, the amount of fuel in the tank was the least of my concerns. The quality of the tires, was for sure. But that 400-500lbs wasn't. Maybe it should have been.

It's hardly worth name calling in this forum for someone questioning why you would want to syphon it out. Since it was a fair question.

Back