• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Canal Runs Red

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our canal and those around us look like the River of Blood. I have never seen this color in our canal over the 35 plus years we have own our property. So I am looking for some ideas that might be causing it. Our Association wants to say is it caused by algae bloom, however, there is no algae to be seen. I am concerned that unless this clears up it will permanently discolor the hull.
LRG_DSC09785.JPGLRG_DSC09786.JPGLRG_DSC09787.JPGfullsizeoutput_3663.jpegLRG_DSC09789.JPGLRG_DSC09790.JPG

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Could there be some severe turbulence or runoff somewhere upstream agitating a red clay or silt?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't know your location relative to salt water, but this happens in Fla.
20190331_121331.jpg

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I had a post here about the red tide last fall and just how bad it was to all the fish and people I sure hope it is not around this summer , your color looks a bit different though could there be iron bleeding into the water. https://jetboaters.net/threads/red-tide.19817/
Someone will need to test samples to determine what it is but most likely a micro organism is responsible. Global warming may be somehow responsible I just noticed the big changes in the weather patterns and the hurricane patterns in the last few years as well as the higher water temperatures from a decade ago and longer I recall refusing to go in the water here if it went below 60 now I don't see it that low.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Correct me if I'm wrong but, if it is caused by an algal bloom as suggested by your HOA, then the red in the water is the algea. Therefore your statesmen about how "there is no algea to be seen" would be incorrect. The algea is suspended in the water causing the discoloration. Many of our waterways here in Utah have been plagued by blooms of green algea. The risk with the green algea here is the resulting cyanobacteria that is a byproduct, which is a potentially hazardous neurotoxin. For your sakes, I hope it doesn't last.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To be honest I really have no idea what is causing it, however, I do not believe it is red tide or algae. We are located at the end of the canal system and approximately 3 1/2 miles from the river that leads into the bay which is about another 1/2 to 3/4 of mile away. I have also noted that is not in other canals that are closer to river so if I had to guess it is something bleaching into the water via the bulkheads in our area or under one of the bulkheads. The good thing is I have a while before I intend to put my boat in the water so I am hoping it will gone by then[flag]

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It reminds me of the French river in Webster Massachusetts all the textile plants had dye brooks that went directly into that river, keep in mind I am traveling back in time to the 60's and no one cared what they did. The river changed colors daily depending on what dye was being used that day, made for some colorful water birds.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You should grab a sample in a mason jar, see if a local water treatment company can test it for iron. Has the city been flushing hydrants lately? That’s awful red to be clay, and not likely organic as it looks to be somewhat “patchy” in the water.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Association has put in the circulators and the redness seems to be dissipating and now the canal water looks brownish. I am hoping that in the next week it begins to clear.[flag]

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The red whatever is now gone as the little green aliens from the sky in the form of pollen have taken over[flag]