• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The throttle/shifter Yamaha SHOULD have put on our boats...

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh wait... I just realized most of you guys weren't around when Ho Ho's and Ding Dong's were wrapped in foil!
I did not know Ding Dong wrapped in foil, I’m sure I was around I guess I just wasn’t paying enough attention.

But I’m surprised how large that ipenubg looks in your boat! I’ll be looking at it promptly upon my return, I’m in Oakland, CA for work, miss being able to check on my boat, lol.

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did not know Ding Dong wrapped in foil, I’m sure I was around I guess I just wasn’t paying enough attention.

But I’m surprised how large that ipenubg looks in your boat! I’ll be looking at it promptly upon my return, I’m in Oakland, CA for work, miss being able to check on my boat, lol.

Hey you're across the bay from me, drive over and say hi!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey you're across the bay from me, drive over and say hi!
Darned. I know! Just not this time, maybe next, I’m heading back - it was just a short stint at Oakland Childeren’s Hospital. Great place BTW.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice mod there! Let's us know how much the noise is reduced with that fiberglass and tape. Looks very promising.

Any concern with rust on the foil tape? That looks like the tape used for hvac work.

Thanks!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh wait... I just realized most of you guys weren't around when Ho Ho's and Ding Dong's were wrapped in foil!
HA HA!!! I kept looking at the black rubber hose to protect the shaft thinking "that could be a big HO HO but not enough to comment on". I forgot all about the foil wrapped delightful little snacks. How many times have a split that foil pack open?????

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's not even close!!!! @gmtech16450yz is on a different planet.

BUT - just imagine - Yamaha hired guys like @gmtech16450yz, @Mainah, AND actually listened to them! They would be unstoppable.

--
Funny you said that. With all the issues I've had with the purchase and initial use of this boat, I have BEGGED all of the people at the dealership I bought it from to let me talk to ANYONE at Yamaha. Actually, the initial purchase issues are still not resolved to this day!!! They were supposed to get me a couple replacement parts to help smooth out the horrible experience I had and it's been TWO MONTHS and I still haven't seen a thing. The screw-ups that Yamaha did at the assembly level and what the dealer did would take an hour to go through. I actually haven't filled out the customer survey that the factory sends you simply because my new boat buying experience is still not over! I bought the boat like 3 or 4 months ago.

So have I gotten a call or anything from anyone at the factory, assembly plant or even zone rep level? Nope. Not a word. It is really too bad because I have a lot of really good feedback for them. They either don't care or everyone at that dealership has done a really good job of not letting anyone at Yamaha know how badly they screwed up. It's not over yet though, I just might make a few phone calls again today. I talked to the service manager about the parts last week, he assured me that he would have the parts department ship them up immediately. I'm a day away from them at UPS Ground speed. 7 days later and still no parts. Amazing.

I really would like to talk to somebody about a lot of this stuff. I've told half a dozen people that, but I've stayed at the dealership level so far because I want to see them either come through on their promises or fail miserably. I'd even be up for flying out to the assembly plant and giving my input on things they could improve on. From the looks of the way these boats are assembled, and the fact I'm a customer that is IN this business, actually at a higher level because I deal with automobile manufacturers and not low production boats, my knowledge could absolutely be valuable. They need to fix some of these issues that are sore spots in buyers and owners minds and experiences. My "interactions" with the dealership and Yamaha aren't over, they may just be starting. We'll see.

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice mod there! Let's us know how much the noise is reduced with that fiberglass and tape. Looks very promising.

Any concern with rust on the foil tape? That looks like the tape used for hvac work.

Thanks!
I already took the boat out with the traps insulated. It made a significant difference. I heard a difference when i started the engines in my driveway right after the work was done. I think it's a worth while mod, BUT it has to be done correctly or you will have issues.

The tape is aluminum, so no rust issues there. The traps are obviously aluminum also. I didn't use stainless wire to wrap them with, but if that wire rusts it really shouldn't be a big deal anyway. What I did do is I put a TON of the aluminum tape around them to make sure there were no open spots that water could get into. I didn't want the fiberglass layer to get and stay wet, although it wouldn't really do much since it is fiberglass and it's against aluminum. I also didn't want any of the fiberglass wrap coming apart and filling the bilge area, that would be a mess and possibly plug the pumps. You also have to make sure they don't get too big, I wrapped them very tightly. And lastly, if you make the insulation layer too thick and the trap sits too high, you will end up compromising the seal at the inlet side of the traps because it won't be straight into the rubber manifold.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In the intrest of future boats being better I would enjoy being a tester/consultant as a side gig.

Yamaha enjoys a very large share of the mid margin mass market sport boat market segment which is also a growing. As long as they enjoy growing sales figures there is not a lot of motivation to fix the issues that a buyer may have had.

That is just corporate reality for you. I am sure most of us that work for large corporations do good work but we also tow/foster/develop the so called company line.

Dealers are in a tough spot. With only so many brands in any given segment you don’t want to be price fighting with XYZ boats done the road carrying the same lineup. They are “authorized” by the manufacturer and they are stuck with their rules and a contract. If they make the manufacturer upset XYZ boats may end up with the product line next year. The dealer also wants to keep you happy. It is quite the balancing act but make no mistake in that the deal with boat maker with always win out at the end of the day and that may require the dealer to misrepresent the truth from time to time.

Where does that leave you and I? Making noise and hoping someone hears us and fixes things. If not we have to do it ourselves. I am not saying any of it is right or that trying to change things is completely futile My pragmatic opinion is that the path of least resistance is to be persistent to a point and then move on. I love my boat but it is just one thing of many that provides my family enjoyment. I am not going to let it shape my identity or occupy too much of my time/thought. If it starts to do that I will sell it and buy a used pontoon and a couple of jet skis.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@gmtech16450yz , difficult to tell from pictures, do you think a 20" x 24" roll of fiberglass packing mat would be enough to go around the muffler? I have a 2014 190 with probably the same 1.8 motor that you have so i'm going to assume the same muffler as well.
Thanks for the idea.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@gmtech16450yz , difficult to tell from pictures, do you think a 20" x 24" roll of fiberglass packing mat would be enough to go around the muffler? I have a 2014 190 with probably the same 1.8 motor that you have so i'm going to assume the same muffler as well.
Thanks for the idea.
Just make sure the insulated water box will fit back into the bilge before you wrap everything up! I don't know how @gmtech16450yz does all he does, he is incredible. But he also has a different boat. In my old 190 - I could not fit much of an insulation around the water box - I ended up needing to strip some to fit it back in...

--

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Screw that stupid lanyard! It's messed me up twice already. Didn't realize somebody took it out and it took me awhile to realize why the engines wouldn't start! I think I might actually take it out and jump the wires.

I also think that minor mod to the grates made a noticeable difference. I still haven't taken my boat out since I did V 2.0 of the intake tunnels and the nozzle/pump/rudders work I did either. By the time I take it out there's gonna be a dozen mods to try out.
Why can't I find this grate mod? Good chance I posted on it anyways, but I don't recall it!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep. That's the one.
I did this mod following @gmtech16450yz posts - and it totally works. Hard to measure the exact improvements but they are there, especially in turns. You would love it.
I didn't know how to cut aluminum so it took me way longer that it should have, but it is a fairly strait forward mod, and the best part: costs nothing, just labor and some sealant.

--