• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thoughts on storing boat outside or covered

Wright2e

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
View attachment IMG_3985.webp

Want to get thoughts on storage! Live in central NC so winter not all terrible typically. Currently have my 252S covered with a mooring cover and stored at a storage place under a covered roof for RV and boats. Problem is it is pricey at 180/mo and about 35 min from my house. I can get uncovered space very affordable (as low as 43/mo) in my town but wondering about the impact to the boats exterior having it in the sun and uncovered (still with a mooring cover). No covered options in the Greensboro area for some reason.

Any thoughts?

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ve store an old boat (1995 Chaparral) outside one winter and I’d say it’s not ideal.

Not sure if this is possible for you but I store my boats at the local county fairgrounds. They use the barns for the county fair and the only criteria is you need to get the boats out by late April. Charge is about $250 for the season.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Down in Fl I stored mine outside but temps and conditions differ. I used the Yamaha mooring cover with the poles and stored outside with no issues. Biggest issue I had was hurricanes dropping limbs on the cover. This is how I did mine. No issues at all.
IMG_4606.jpeg

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
One thing you may want to look into at the facilities that are close and cheap, is that they may let you build a cheap structure on the lot to let you keep the boat as long as they get to keep it when your done or you remove it completely. For what its worth, I built a pipe structure next to my house here in FL out of galvanized fence pipe and the fittings found here:

it keeps the sun and rain off so I can put a cover on the boat without having to worry about anti-pooling poles or having it on perfectly. also makes a great area to work on the boat in that it's always shady. The other thing you can do if your going to open store the boat is to get one of the larger/generic boat covers that will cover more of or most of the sides of the boat. also get some tire covers.

Texjet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
In the past, I've had to store my boat outside over the winter and think it came out fine. I put buckets of charcoal inside it under the trailering cover, ensured the cover was "tented-up" with good drainage all around and covered that with a tarp big enough to cover most of the trailer and tires. Tied everything down nice and tight. Checked on it often to be sure no water was pooling or debris laying on it. In the Spring, everything was just fine.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have kept mine outside with just mooring cover since 2016 in eastern NC. No issues and it still is in near perfect shape inside and out.
Heavy waxing often

Wright2e

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I think my wife is nervous about water getting into it. We have to store it somewhere year round since it won’t fit in the garage like the 195s we had. Maybe the larger cover/tarp is the answer. Sure would be nice to save 100 or more per month!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you got the shipping cover, I suggest you use it while stored out of season. Otherwise use the canvas cover and cover it with a tarp. Don’t forget to install the anti pooling poles and straps first. I also recommend that you put damp rid or the dollar store alternative in the compartments, bow and cockpit. Pull all the drain plugs as well. My boat has lived outside since I got it in 2012. No real problems but will condition the interior more often going forward because, I think, all the temperature cycling over the years caused the vinyl to dry out and crack faster than normal.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ve store an old boat (1995 Chaparral) outside one winter and I’d say it’s not ideal.

Not sure if this is possible for you but I store my boats at the local county fairgrounds. They use the barns for the county fair and the only criteria is you need to get the boats out by late April. Charge is about $250 for the season.
I’ve done the same for several years. Price has remained the same all these years at $400 for the season. From late October to late April.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Been storing boats that will not fit thru a 12'w x 14'h arena door, outside in Vermont Winters for years. Build a 2 x 4 frame with Deadmen to support the ridge. Tie the ridge down to cleats on both sides. Or in my cases, I use the toe rail and stantions to secure the frame. Then throw a big heavy duty tarp over the boat and top sides and tie it down to the trailer. The Whaler and Zodiac are in our arena, uncovered. The Yamaha was always covered in the arena.. I use/reuse 20 x 30' tarps to cover ours. Make sure all the water is removed from the boat.

A7949A5E-D507-4E89-B583-2AD1CD9E1C9D.jpeg

65FA8054-B73D-427A-AD69-6FB4B8CEBFD6.jpeg

5AD90C15-7097-4CFE-BDC3-801A8B359458.jpeg

20170525_171507_001.jpg

Last edited: