• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle Drop VS Throttle By Wire

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Please Help Lads and Lassies.....

So Ive read and re-read about throttle drop in this forum and I still need some advice PLEASE....

Boat is still asleep (Canada).... but soon to be back in action.
I have taken several videos late last summer for my local dealer explaining in vivid color that ....

On a glass lake and cruising at 40 mph in a straight line - I let go of the single throttle lever and it drops EACH time to about 30 mph.

Im being told this is a safety issue and its called Throttle by Wire...... same as let your foot off the gas of your car and it slows down. Kinda makes sense but with what Im reading / seeing online Im not so sure.....

Now aside from my cruise assist being intermittent.... ie it will turn itself off in the above noted scenario each and every time.....

is my dealer feeding me a line ????

Truly appreciate the cranial advice....

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I had this problem before I installed the CJS's, I now don't have the throttle drop, the only thing I can attribute it too was the original install of the TV's, when I pulled the TV's off the boat and installed the CJS's all of a sudden the throttle response was significantly improved, the move to the indents is deliberate and I can now run WOT, (which I have done for the last 2 outings) and no drop off, not sure why exactly except that I had to replace the TV's hardware on the reverse gate with original hardware. I had previously adjusted the throttle cable in the engine compartment but to no avail. Now as far as what I have been told...one should ALWAYS have a hand on the throttle at all times so maybe it's supposed to be that way. I sure this doesn't help but it my experience. I believe I read you had the CJS's so there goes that theory....Lots of smarter people on the board I am sure they can figure it out....As a side note I don't think it will be anytime soon before you guys in the Great White North will be on the water, so you have sometime...;)

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sounds like dealer BS to me. Letting the boat ghost drive at 40 is a hazard, but 30 is ok. ;)

martynnz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat used to do this (made the cruise assist unusable). I tightened up the throttle handle so there was less play and it would hold in position. That cured everything. Now I can let go of throttle at no matter what speed and it will stay there. Cruise assist also stays engaged. See below for instructions.

Cheers

Martyn

Attachments

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Please Help Lads and Lassies.....

So Ive read and re-read about throttle drop in this forum and I still need some advice PLEASE....

Boat is still asleep (Canada).... but soon to be back in action.
I have taken several videos late last summer for my local dealer explaining in vivid color that ....

On a glass lake and cruising at 40 mph in a straight line - I let go of the single throttle lever and it drops EACH time to about 30 mph.

Im being told this is a safety issue and its called Throttle by Wire...... same as let your foot off the gas of your car and it slows down. Kinda makes sense but with what Im reading / seeing online Im not so sure.....

Now aside from my cruise assist being intermittent.... ie it will turn itself off in the above noted scenario each and every time.....

is my dealer feeding me a line ????

Truly appreciate the cranial advice....
The information you are given by the dealer is not completely accurate.
Drive by wire type throttles are currently only available on E-series 242 models. Your boat has the APS module (accelerator position sensor?) which is kind of half-way there, but the throttle lever is still operating a cable up to the APS (so it is not a true throttle by wire by any means).

The throttle lever should stay put at any speed. Period. Usually they may drop a little bit in rough water - but really shouldn't.

Use the throttle adjustment screw first. After that:

@Speedling posted a a fix that has worked for many here
https://jetboaters.net/threads/throttle-dropping-check-here.299/

Or - you can go "full @gmtech16450yz", lol. https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-throttle-shifter-yamaha-should-have-put-on-our-boats.15940/#post-273931

If you are looking for a true cruise control - the @Ridesteady is the way to go. You can get it for the single a bit cheaper than twin
https://jetboaters.net/threads/new-speed-control-electronic-throttle-synch-for-twins-ridesteady-by-hydrophase.12590/

--

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
It’s really amazing the stooped things dealers come up with...and not just boat dealers. I’m dealing with Ford on one of my fleet vehicles and the bs they come up with that would be humorous if it wasn’t happening to me. I’m about to get the joy of trying to get it declared a lemon. Yep, that should be fun.

I almost forgot...my 192 was doing this when I got it. I followed the guidance from the videos and it was gone.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The information you are given by the dealer is not completely accurate.
Drive by wire type throttles are currently only available on E-series 242 models. Your boat has the APS module (accelerator position sensor?) which is kind of half-way there, but the throttle lever is still operating a cable up to the APS (so it is not a true throttle by wire by any means).

The throttle lever should stay put at any speed. Period. Usually they may drop a little bit in rough water - but really shouldn't.

Use the throttle adjustment screw first. After that:

@Speedling posted a a fix that has worked for many here
https://jetboaters.net/threads/throttle-dropping-check-here.299/

Or - you can go "full @gmtech16450yz", lol. https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-throttle-shifter-yamaha-should-have-put-on-our-boats.15940/#post-273931

If you are looking for a true cruise control - the @Ridesteady is the way to go. You can get it for the single a bit cheaper than twin
https://jetboaters.net/threads/new-speed-control-electronic-throttle-synch-for-twins-ridesteady-by-hydrophase.12590/

--
I did @Speedling throttle drop mod and it works like a charm. Even with Ridesteady you would have issues because it requires enough throttle. As far as the throttle dropping being a safety thing to focre keeping your hand in the throttles I guess that could be but I really disliked the throttle drop. I comment about my favorite mods but always seem to forget this one as I did it early and now don’t even think about it. This is certainly one of my favorite mods. Thanks again @Speedling

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I did @Speedling throttle drop mod and it works like a charm. Even with Ridesteady you would have issues because it requires enough throttle. As far as the throttle dropping being a safety thing to focre keeping your hand in the throttles I guess that could be but I really disliked the throttle drop. I comment about my favorite mods but always seem to forget this one as I did it early and now don’t even think about it. This is certainly one of my favorite mods. Thanks again @Speedling
Hey, i just explored what needed to be done because it annoyed me too!
I am just glad there are so many minds to work on so many things!

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanx muchly Lads..... Im going to forward part of this conversation (no names of course) to my dealer and wait for a response....

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My boat used to do this (made the cruise assist unusable). I tightened up the throttle handle so there was less play and it would hold in position. That cured everything. Now I can let go of throttle at no matter what speed and it will stay there. Cruise assist also stays engaged. See below for instructions.
Oh man I wish I had discovered this sooner. Now I have to wait until next year to try this. I was just thinking that I need to buy RideSteady to solve my throttle irritations. (I will probably still need to do so but the OEM cruise assist has been useless for me at cruising speeds so far).