• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242x comm err. stuck in gear

TubularCWB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Offhand I cant remember if it's a 2016 or 2018.
Quick background: 242x E , We recently replaced the head unit for third time and went with a aftermarket. Im not sure yet if it is NMEA compatible. I'll check this afternoon. Also the harness from each engine to the harness we replaced the Deutsch connector. One had 11 wires. The other side has 10 with one side having 10 and the other side of the connector having 11. When doing this, we replaced the wires one at a time as to not put the wrong wire connected to the wrong wire.
So they boat was detailed and the new stereo installed with a new head unit being installed to the right of the captain's chair. We put it back in the water and fired it up. Initially it didn't start due to low batteries.
We Jumped the batteries and it fired up but popped a comm error code. I'll take pictures of the codes\err messages tonight and reply to the boat.
The main issue is that the boat immediately goes into forward on boat engines.
We took it back out of the water and took it back to a shop and they could not diagnose it. They are saying the whole wire harness needs to change costing 10k.
The ONLY issue seems to be communication.
I've tried charging the batteries and manually positioning the buckets. It will not read the gear the engines are in nor throttle up regardless of what position I put the throttle control in. Im gonna try a couple more things this evening, IE; disconnecting the batteries for 15-20 min, trying different positions for the buckets. I really don't know what else to try. I Know it's drive by wire and the old polk head unit on the swim platform was the main unit.
Anyone had this issue that they figured out. I feel like it's related to the stereo swap and something wasn't connected properly.
Thank you for your time.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length