• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle Dropping? Check here!

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It was pretty straightforward. I ended up unbolting the part that has the fork and crimping it on the bench as I didn’t have needle nose pliers with enough leverage. Any tips on setting tension would be appreciated....I am guessing as loose as possible without the lever slipping back?

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
.I am guessing as loose as possible without the lever slipping back?
That is what I did. . . . . Just tight enough so they hold, but move fluidly.

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took the boat out yesterday and the difference is amazing. The throttle is so precise I hardly see the need for cruise assist. Thanks to all for the help.

LKNHokie

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did this last week (before Hurricane Florence) and waited until the rain cleared to test it (couldn't find any friends as brave/dumb as I to go surfing on lake with rain and a little wind...). Works perfectly! Thanks @Speedling, you're my new favorite!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Did this last week (before Hurricane Florence) and waited until the rain cleared to test it (couldn't find any friends as brave/dumb as I to go surfing on lake with rain and a little wind...). Works perfectly! Thanks @Speedling, you're my new favorite!
Glad to hear it and that you didn't get wiped out by the hurricane!

LKNHokie

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Glad to hear it and that you didn't get wiped out by the hurricane!
Thanks, wasn’t much of an issue as forecasted inland. We’re lucky and feeling for those to east.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Necropost... had it with the damn throttles today. Did the fix with tape AND used loctite on the 10mm bolts. Unfortunately it with be Weds or Thurs before I can try it out.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Necropost... had it with the damn throttles today. Did the fix with tape AND used loctite on the 10mm bolts. Unfortunately it with be Weds or Thurs before I can try it out.
Hopefully all goes well!

mattster

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I just brought home a 2012 242 LTD, and the throttles are driving me crazy (port engine throttle is "loose" on mine as well for some reason--stb. is ok). I'm going to give this a go--if I can get the throttles "buttery smooth" as someone else mentioned, I'm a super happy guy. Thanks in advance for the write-up, neighbor (Crooked Lake, IN)!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just brought home a 2012 242 LTD, and the throttles are driving me crazy (port engine throttle is "loose" on mine as well for some reason--stb. is ok). I'm going to give this a go--if I can get the throttles "buttery smooth" as someone else mentioned, I'm a super happy guy. Thanks in advance for the write-up, neighbor (Crooked Lake, IN)!
Before you tear things apart have you tried tightening the friction screws on the back of the throttle quadrant?

mattster

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@Gym, I have, but from what I'm reading here they're 2 different issues. My issue isn't throttle friction per se, it's the RPM drop from the port throttle not staying put--but drifting down in RPM.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Lol crooked lak indeed. I prefer Lake Michigan but i am actually on my boat for the first time this year on cedar tucky. Need a test and tune ya know? Anyway hope the write up helps and hit me up with any ?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Gym, I have, but from what I'm reading here they're 2 different issues. My issue isn't throttle friction per se, it's the RPM drop from the port throttle not staying put--but drifting down in RPM.
Yes @mattster the throttle lever dropping back is the issue. Most of us have had this issue. Just wanted to make sure you tried the easy fix first by tightening the friction screw. If that doesn't help @Speedling's fix seems to have helped many.

mattster

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Lol crooked lak indeed. I prefer Lake Michigan but i am actually on my boat for the first time this year on cedar tucky. Need a test and tune ya know? Anyway hope the write up helps and hit me up with any ?
there's no doubt I'll have questions! This issue is so far my biggest complaint about the boat. If I can remedy this--jetboat heaven!
I'd love to try the big lake sometime--makes me a little nervous though. I didn't see Dale Hollow (KY) on your list--that's another beautiful body of water.

mattster

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yes @mattster the throttle lever dropping back is the issue. Most of us have had this issue. Just wanted to make sure you tried the easy fix first by tightening the friction screw. If that doesn't help @Speedling's fix seems to have helped many.
after all these years/so many issues, I'm surprised that the factory hasn't come out with a bulletin on it?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
after all these years/so many issues, I'm surprised that the factory hasn't come out with a bulletin on it?
Then they'd have to admit they f-----up.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
there's no doubt I'll have questions! This issue is so far my biggest complaint about the boat. If I can remedy this--jetboat heaven!
I'd love to try the big lake sometime--makes me a little nervous though. I didn't see Dale Hollow (KY) on your list--that's another beautiful body of water.
Yes it is sorta. I want to visit all the major Kentucky and Tennessee lakes. In fact i want to retire to Tennessee.

mattster

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yes it is sorta. I want to visit all the major Kentucky and Tennessee lakes. In fact i want to retire to Tennessee.
Have there been any updates to your fix, since your original post was a while ago? I guess they'd be in this thread...duh.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Have there been any updates to your fix, since your original post was a while ago? I guess they'd be in this thread...duh.
The basic idea is the same. You can pinch the pieces together instead of using tape like i suggested. Ihad done that as a trial and error concept. I still have the tape in there and it works fine. Is that over 5 years now?

GeauxDeep

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So i started on this fix this morning, only got the port side done. i'll do the starboard tomorrow. I'm really not sure that i see that much of a difference just testing it in the garage. also, my drop is so bad that if I'm not constantly holding both throttles in place, they'll basically drop almost all the way back to the first "click' of the forward position. gets to the point that my arm is sore from holding them in place all day. i was wondering how tight the circular part should be on that nylon bushing. i put the electrical tape on the piece inside the fork, but should i tighten those small nuts around the nylon bushing to make it any tighter? or do i need to be looking at the parts under the engine hatch to see if theres something too loose under there? this is by far the most annoying thing that i deal with. hopefully i can solve this and test it friday when i go out.