• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tons of problems with my 195

Rtimleck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Just heard from marine max tech -- they determined the engine was mounted in the wrong spot in the hull and have ordered all new parts. New impeller, wear ring-- basically a new jet pump assembly. Should have parts in next week and will work to fix by next weekend-- more hopeful than I have been thus far-- funny that the engine was in the wrong spot. That seems elementary....
How does something like that pass quality control?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The BRP/Rotax engine has been solid. 99% of the issues has been the Scarab plant's lack of quality control, and the dealerships lack of knowledge and caring about the product they are selling.

Once they get the engine installed correctly, the boats have very little issues mechanically. This is a Scarab problem, not a Rotax problem. We would be seeing a ton of Glastron and Chap owners having issues as well.

I'm not saying this to be a jerk or start something but this thread is one of the major reasons I chose Yamaha. One manufacturer for everything and Yamaha makes sure the dealers can work on them. A few years back my Yamaha dealer who I bought my snowmobiles from had his boat franchise yanked by Yamaha because he wasn't a dedicated marine dealer. Still sells the sleds, bikes and PWC lines but no boats. Coming with a lot of experience from the sled world BRP wasn't known for great reliability there either. They seem to follow suit in al their lines, their sleds are fast, light and look like a million bucks, especially when getting towed back with a Yamaha. Good luck with your boat, I still like the looks and interior of the scarab line more then my boat they are awesome looking boats.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Its sad to hear how Scarab has released these boats. These dealers have no clue, and probably wont in the future. Scarab should have contacted BRP authorized dealers, or SeaDoo dealers to sell these boats. In the end, the brand will suffer, and probably go defunct once again. Piss Poor execution.

Dealers like MarineMax are not Authorized BRP, and never will be. They are owned by Brunswick Corporation which is a direct BRP competitor with their Mercury line of motors and boats like Sea Ray, Boston Whaler, and Bayliner.

These boats would be better served to be sold with SeaDoo PWC's, and CAN AM Trikes. Yamaha sells their boats like this, and its mostly a home run.

This community will probably serve as the best source for the new lineup of BRP powered boats for a long time. But dont wait for Scarab Corporate representation here. They have already told me that they have no time to keep up with this community.
@ScarabMike: Just to keep things real here, and not appear to be too anal about technicalities ..........
Let's better clarify a couple points:

MARINEMAX is a New York Stock Exchange-listed company, symbol, HZO, has been business as MarineMax since 1998. It is an outgrowth from the Bassett Boat Company, which started selling boats in 1944. In 1998 a number of large dealership companies got together, and subsequently formed MarineMax. A little background as to who MarineMax is might be useful:

MarineMax, Inc. is the largest recreational boat retailer in the United States, and the leading seller of Sea Ray, Boston Whaler, and other boats made by Brunswick Corporation, which makes up nearly 90 percent of the company's new boat sales and 75 percent of used boat sales, as well as brand names such as Hatteras and Supra ski boats. A conglomeration of major boat dealers, with 47 retail locations throughout the United States, MarineMax sells new and used pleasure and recreational boats, fishing boats, and high-performance boats, as well as related marine products, including engines, boats, trailers, parts, and accessories. The Clearwater, Florida-based company also arranges boat financing, insurance, and extended warranty contracts, provides boat repair and maintenance services, and offers boat brokerage services.

MarineMax likes to say: “We stock the largest selection of SeaRays in the world. We have sport boats, cruisers and yachts, and then we have a full range of other boats, from Harris Pontoons, Boston Whaler, Scarab Jet Boats, Scout Boats and Grady-Whites Sea Ray, Meridian, Hatteras, Azimut Yachts, Ocean Alexander, Crest (Pontoons), Sailfish, Aquila, and Nautique."

They have between 1200 and 1300 employees, has approx 54-55 retail locations throughout the U.S, and annual sales in the range of approx. $750 Million or so a year.

BRUNSWICK CORPORATION, formerly known as the Brunswick-Balke-Collender Company, is a United States-based corporation that has been involved in manufacturing a wide variety of products since 1845. Brunswick's global headquarters is in the northern Chicago suburb of Lake Forest, Illinois. In 2011, it had sales of US $3.748 billion with net earnings of $71.9 million.

NYSE-listed since 1925, its symbol is BC.
BC is the world’s leading provider of marine engines, pleasure boats, fitness equipment and billiards products

Annual revenue today is in the neighborhood of APPROX $ 4 Billion a year.
Revenue is split 51% engine, 29% Boat, and 20% Fitness.
Their engine (ie, Mercury/MerCruiser) division alone has more than 5,300 employees worldwide.

SOME of their boat lines they OWN are: Bayliner, Boston Whaler, Crestliner, Cypress Cay, Harris FloteBote, Lowe, Lund, Meridian, Princecraft, Quicksilver, Rayglass, Sea Ray, and Uttern.

I hope this clears a few things up, for those who might be interested.
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake OConee, GA

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MikeyL
The reason its a little less now is because of the Scarab line which they are systematically destroying.

MarineMax, Inc., incorporated on January 23, 1998, is a recreational boat dealer in the United States. Through 54 retail locations in Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Tennessee, and Texas, the Company sells new and used recreational boats, including pleasure and fishing boats. The Company also provides repair, maintenance, and slip and storage services; arrange related boat financing, insurance, and extended service contracts; offers boat and yacht brokerage services, and operates a yacht charter business. It is also retailer of Sea Ray, Boston Whaler, Bayliner, Cabo, Hatteras, and Meridian recreational boats and yachts, all of which are manufactured by Brunswick Corporation (Brunswick).
http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/companyProfile?symbol=HZO

CLEARWATER, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 14, 2006--MarineMax, Inc., (NYSE: HZO) the nation's largest recreational boat retailer, today announced that it has expanded its service capabilities on Florida's West Coast with the acquisition of a large boat and yacht service facility. This facility is adjacent to a large marina, which was simultaneously purchased by Brunswick Corporation (NYSE: BC).
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20060214005805/en/MarineMax-Acquires-Large-Florida-Service-Facility-Partners#.VbqSYmrbJpg

MarineMax and Brunswick schedule quarterly reports
http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/2015/04/marinemax-brunswick-schedule-quarterly-reports/

If it smells like a fish, and it tastes like a fish.............

See file below: "

We are the nation’s largest retailer of Sea Ray, Boston Whaler, Bayliner, Cabo, Hatteras, and Meridian recreational boats and yachts, all of which are

manufactured by Brunswick Corporation"

Attachments

Karl Clements

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
this post went a way different direction, lol. We finally got out boat back on 7-31. It ran great this past weekend. they did the break in Oil change and replaced the whole jet drive system and few other things that were wrong. even some cracks on the gel coating. We still have some seats and few other issues to be worked out but were going to take it back to the dealer at the end of the season. We're going to get the most out of whats lefts of the season. Before we turned her in she was doing about 38mph. We took her out on a smooth lake and hit 45mph. she hauling ass now. The dealer actually showed my father what do if we suck something up again. needless to say it will a whole lot less if it ever happens again. "fingers crossed" it doesn't. We hit 11 hours and were feeling good about it now. They did replace the center walk through seat with a 2015 upgrade seat but only one part of it lol. They, Oh well. Scarab has not been in contact with us since the 2nd it was at the dealership. So who knows what theyre offering. But im gonna enjoy it while I can. Thanks guys for the help.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Karl Clements Glad to hear that she is operating at peak performance. It is a lot of fun when it is running correct!!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's awesome @Karl Clements glad to see that you're getting it all fixed up.

Karl Clements

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@Slugger55 tons of fun. Tubing behind it though is one hell of a work out, way different than our previous four winns. Im sore in places I didn't even know had muscle lol

ptdavidson

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@ScarabMike and the rest, I am amazed to read the inconsistencies.... must be a bad morning.....:) I feel the need to correct some inaccuracies.

Scarab has contracted with a large number of Sea-Doo/BRP powersports Dealers across North America, just look at their dealer locator. Maybe not in your neck of the woods because of MarineMax.

All Scarab Dealers including MarineMax are obligated to do significant training on the engines directly with BRP - They are absolutely BRP Certified! Maybe your dealer has not completed the training, in that case i would find the next closest dealer of tell them to get their act together.

MarineMax and Brunswick are two wholly different companies and have completely different board of directors and management. MarineMax is a very powerful customer of Brunswick to be sure.

Yamaha deliberately pulled their boats out of the powersports dealerships in the mid 2000's because the average powersports dealership does not have the space or the interest to stock the larger (physically/$) product when they can turn 5 bikes in the same space/time/$. The boats are actually not even managed by the same team as the powersports products because of this differentiation. Yamaha has been successful for a number of reasons the idea that they are in the powersports stores is not one of them.

Guys, I think that this forum is fantastic and there are a LOT of very happy Scarab owners out there. We are hearing about the same few individuals that are having a bad start, in fact I notice these same individuals on all of the different topics. This is rough for them, but it sounds like almost every one of them ultimately has been satisfied after the dealer / Scarab / BRP figure out the issue(s). As pointed out by a number of you, these are brand new products and they are having a few teething issues, but I am very confident that there are far more VERY HAPPY customers like myself than there are customers having issues. That is the case even on this forum!

Don't let the detractors take over the forum and ruin it for the rest of us. There are a lot of positives that need to be shared!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ptdavidson

MarineMax and Brunswick could have different people running each company, but they are completely in bed with each other.

Take a look at all the recent threads of broke down boats, and dealer nightmares. If this is the "formal" training they have, I'm afraid that I will never get to use my 5 year warranty, and will have to do all repairs myself. At least I know there is a minimal level of competence doing the work.

Today we had a 255 platinum edition, the flagship of the Scarab fleet involved in a dealer dilemma that could have probably been avoided if the owner would have stayed away from the dealer. Don't believe the crap they feed you. The only people watching out for you, your investment, and your family is this website, and you.

Last edited:

luanders

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Update: just heard from marine max, the engine has been moved and the new jet pump assembly is in and it is no better or maybe even worse (their words). They are at a loss -- waiting on next steps from BRP.

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't drive it hard at all. I don't know enough about it to do so. I'm very easy on all my power sport machines. Sleds, at whatever it may be.

The dealer told us both the strap and exhaust hose was more than. Likely there fault for not inspecting it full enough. I have the proper trailer hook up for the brake system. It doesn't only do it with my F150 but also my fathers 2013 F150. The windshield came off alignment due to the weatherstripping not being put on right. These are not thing I just randomly noticed I spent 2hrs with the service writer looking over the boat. He pointed out numerous things that were manufacturer and marina issues. I can say the front pinstripe chips definitely me. But I never touched the exhaust, intake or peeled up the corner of the rear deck matting. I've washed it after every trip. Did the manufacturer recommend flush, because the lake I frequent is dirty. I take care of my equipment. I have just never had something out of the box with these kinds of problems.
I appreciate the info man be it good or bad. I can tell you I am rough on equipment these boats are not supposed to be pontoon boats that are not supposed to be extreme. If I paid the money I did for my Yamaha and it was having all these issues I'd be furious also. These boats claim to be great for waters ports and they glamourize the performance of them so I don't agree that they are meant to be putted around in and babied. When's the last time a jetski got babied. You may have to switch brands to do it but keep using your boat for what it is made for or supposed to be made for and thinks for voicing the problems. I'm reading some comments that sound like they are coming straight from a dealer or salesman mouth so I wouldn't worry about pretty much being called a liar. Don't take it personal if that's possible

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will definitely take pictures of everything I mentioned. It will all be fixed but it will show you all what I'm speaking of.
Also Karl it doesn't matter if it's your first post or last if it's the truth that's all that matters. I wouldn't be surprised if it was your last after the way you have been treated here. Hope you stick around though this site has definately helped me a few times

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can attest that these boats are not be be babied. I was fishing in Long Island sound this week and it got a little rough. More than once on the way back in I know my boat was flying a few feet in the air. I just wish there was someone filming us it could have been some good video for Yamaha

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can attest that these boats are not be be babied. I was fishing in Long Island sound this week and it got a little rough. More than once on the way back in I know my boat was flying a few feet in the air. I just wish there was someone filming us it could have been some good video for Yamaha
I agree but I know I'm very late in reading this post but in some of the beginning post Karl was being told he was probably to hard on his equipment and that he was responsible for his new boat falling apart. People pay huge money for these boats at least huge to me and we should be able to use them without them falling apart. I'm glad yours held up they should

luanders

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Update: contacted scarab customer service and they are Bringing boat to factory. Should be there next week for service. Expected to have back on Friday. Very helpful and I'm hopeful! They committed to make it right-- can't wait

luanders

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Update: just heard back from marine max-- factory determined the ride plate wasn't sealed correctly-- @ScarabMike -- that sound right to you? they are fixing and then brining to lake to verify repairs. It will be back to MN on Friday for the weekend. Marine max said they are going to detail before pick up. I'm pleased.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No, I don't believe it unless there was no sealant there at all. Your nozzle is further back than the jet wash. Your issue with cavitation will end up being something within or attached the pump housing. (ie: seal from the pump to hull, loose or damaged impeller, worn wear ring, stripped drive shaft, improper bucket position at WOT). The ride plate only serves one purpose on our boats, and that's to cool the engine. If it were a Seadoo ski, then I could understand because the ride plate also controls the pitch attitude or trim of the ski.

Good luck.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Isn't the ride plate connected to the intake grate area? Thus, if the seal was bad it could pull air in from the engine compartment.