• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with a hitch extension

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jgorm the additional distances multiplies the force on the vehicle, hitch receiver and axle just as a cheater bar multiplies the force on a bolt. Your experience says that you had a strong enough vehicle and sufficient mourning system to handle your load.

I am sure there are formulas to calculate the load on the axle and the receiver based on the length of extension. I would not rely on simply derating to 1/3rd. Thirty four inches is a lot of additional leverage. I suspect that is too much for the suspension in most 1500s and all SUVs to handle.

I believe my personal experience was an 18” extension in a Sierra Denali with the stiffest suspension GMC offers. It was fine with 2,200 pounds of travertine in the bed. The load on the suspension was not any issue it was the wobbles. Something like the cable system you used with the 3500 could have resolved that. I quickly decided that blowing bubbles was better than the hassle of the extended hitch.

Extending the trailer tongue is another option that would be much more stable. With axle repositioning you could maintain the same weight balance or improve it and maintain similar cornering.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are we all sure this has to be such an issue? Since we all know how easy it is to swap out tongues why not tow without, and just add it in while at the parking lot. It may take all of 5 minutes to unhook the trailer and swap it just for the purpose of getting the extra length at the landing. Then swap out to tow safely on the highway.

My buddy has an adjustable height hitch that he uses to tow his Tritoon at the perfect level on the highway. But on shallow landings he will either drop it, or put in an 8" drop tongue only for the purpose of lowering the tongue on the trailer to allow the boat to float off and load on easier.

That being said, its just too low for level towing on the highway. So he takes 5 minutes and swaps it back out. Maybe I have over simplified this, but yes, there is no reason to tow in an unsafe manner when it is so easy to change.

Good luck,