• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Food and drinks are no issue as well. Tracking link wont work for me I need to make a video on it thats where my pay day comes on this the monetary bet is nothing. Pretty sure you said two hours "but the extra 2 hours to drive to Florida allows us to arrive WAY more refreshed to the point" yes I would take the bet as well that you are plugged into super chargers for more then 2 hours on the trip also. I really am serious about this feel free to PM me to set it up it will be fun. We can even try and schedule it around when temps will be in the 70's to give you the best shot.
Nope, I won't be a part of a YouTube video for you to make $ off.

Yes (unless you can make it 1000 miles without stopping) 2.5 hours of stopping to charge/pee/eat minus a minimum of 30 minutes to gas up/pee/eat is an "extra 2 hours."

Math apparently is hard for you.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nope, I won't be a part of a YouTube video for you to make $ off.

Yes (unless you can make it 1000 miles without stopping) 2.5 hours of stopping to charge/pee/eat minus a minimum of 30 minutes to gas up/pee/eat is an "extra 2 hours."

Math apparently is hard for you.
Thats fine the video wont include any images of you.

Thats fine just let me know when this trip of 15 hours and 45 minutes at 2.5 hours of charging will occur I will still want to witness the miracle live.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
By the way, here are my charges from the last trip.

Since math is hard for you I'll add them... 18+37+24+9+12+28+17=145 minutes (2 hours and 25 minutes).

Not sure why I did the longer stops (which is inefficient) - must've wanted to finish an episode on Netflix :D.

1628003924439.png
1628003942198.png

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Correct but this is only 752 miles not 1000 miles no way you made another 250 miles on 66% charge when based on the Birmingham charging stop you left the super charger at 76% and only went 132 miles and burned 53% battery to achieve that. These number don't add up bro your missing a charging stop to get you to 1000 miles but maybe it because I can't do math that it doesn't make sense.
Lol your math difficulty shows again.

Do you think I left my house at zero charge? :D

Edited to add: He deleted his post quoted above, lol.

Last edited:

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
🍿Following....
If you have any real questions about Teslas or EVs, feel free to ask.

If you're just here for the scintillating dialog, I think he's done lol.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you have any real questions about Teslas or EVs, feel free to ask.

If you're just here for the scintillating dialog, I think he's done lol.
Lol yes I did delete my post I’m humble enough to admit I realized my error before you responded and that’s why I deleted it. You are correct I’m done I have tossed the gauntlet out I will just wait my contact for the trip thanks.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lol yes I did delete my post I’m humble enough to admit I realized my error before you responded and that’s why I deleted it. You are correct I’m done I have tossed the gauntlet out I will just wait my contact for the trip thanks.
As I said, I will not be a part of any YouTube video that would document the speed at which I may or may not drive.

More than happy to provide a live link for the next drive and willing to bet whatever you want.

I have already proved my point. ~2.5 hours of charging to drive 1000 miles as documented above (which equates to "an extra 2 hours" vs. a gas car).

There is NO way 600 miles takes an extra 4 hours vs. a gas car as you claimed. This is the FUD I expect from someone either without experience/knowledge or with an axe to grind.

I'll let you decide which.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Since math is hard for you I'll add them... 18+37+24+9+12+28+17=145 minutes (2 hours and 25 minutes).

Not sure why I did the longer stops (which is inefficient) - must've wanted to finish an episode on Netflix :D.

View attachment 159073
View attachment 159074
Man, there is some seriously good data in here.

Looks like you had 8 legs there. We can get average speed and total distance covered. We can trace the route. I'm really curious on the average kWh/mi numbers to be pulled from this.

I'm gonna need a spreadsheet.......Thanks for sharing!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

View attachment 159073
View attachment 159074
Not interested in the arguing (at all), but am curious on the cost. How many $ did you spend on charging to drive this far?

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not interested in the arguing (at all), but am curious on the cost. How many $ did you spend on charging to drive this far?
I'll answer for mine. 2100 miles to Breckenridge Colorado area, plus 5 days of mountain touring within, cost me $141.00.

NOTE: one hotel charger on the return trip cost us nothing-this saved probably 10-12$ and one charge on the way there we still had referrals, was only $3-it would have been 10. so even without the perks, trip would have cost me 160. To take the SUV, this would have been mid- high $300's minimum.

charging daily at home with the included mobile charger and adaptor(14-50 purchased later for $45) @ 240v (32amp/6-8kw) it takes 6 hrs for a 2 day charge of 50%. which costs right around $4.00 at current electricity rate of 11cents. this appears to be a savings of $150 on our monthly fuel costs.

its no comparison there.

Yes the car cost more but theres returns, which I wasnt sure wed see or not.

Last edited:

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

View attachment 159073
View attachment 159074
what do you use for this?

I just went to tesla account and made notes lol

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My recollection is that I was charged right around $150 for the 2000 mile round trip. If I had driven the S it would have been free (but taken longer since the 3 charges faster and is more efficient).

Charging at home is WAYYY less expensive. 2000 miles at home would cost me about $35. The math is:
2000 miles x
250Wh/mi (my average rate other than roadtrips) =
500kWh x
$0.07/kWh (we charge overnight at off-peak rate) =
$35

Last edited:

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
what do you use for this?

I just went to tesla account and made notes lol
TeslaFi.

If you want to give it a try my referral code is RFortune.

Referral gets you a month trial instead of 2 weeks and I get $5 credit if you end up signing up for a paid account.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's some prelim analysis. Curious what happened to cause the high usage in southern Alabama, and if there was an overnight in Illinois. any thoughts @thefortunes ?

1628014643558.png

Some really high mpg numbers (assuming 33.7kWhr/gal ) in there. Really shows the efficiency in an EV of turning energy into distance moved.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Man, there is some seriously good data in here.

Looks like you had 8 legs there. We can get average speed and total distance covered. We can trace the route. I'm really curious on the average kWh/mi numbers to be pulled from this.

I'm gonna need a spreadsheet.......Thanks for sharing!
Yep, had 8 legs - could have more or less depending on how you want to drive and charge.

The days of the drive (April 21st-22nd) averaged 298Wh/mi (I'm too lazy to pull out the other drives on those days, but they shouldn't change the average by much since they only totaled around 60 miles). This Wh/mi was influenced by the temperature at the time (average 44F and 48F).

Drive time was a little slower than usual at 14 hours - no idea why (traffic, road construction, weather?).

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here's some prelim analysis. Curious what happened to cause the high usage in southern Alabama, and if there was an overnight in Illinois. any thoughts @thefortunes ?

View attachment 159086

Some really high mpg numbers (assuming 33.7kWhr/gal ) in there. Really shows the efficiency in an EV of turning energy into distance moved.
No overnight in Illinois - charged 21:45-22:23 then drove 2:38 and charged 1:03-1:28.

You don't have enough info in your spreadsheet to compute Wh/mi - you also need to add in the change in the SoC (in other words I didn't always replace what I used on the previous leg).

Wh/mi ranged from 246Wh/mi to 351Wh/mi for the various legs, depending on all kinds of factors - weather, speed, traffic, elevation change, etc...

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No overnight in Illinois - charged 21:45-22:23 then drove 2:38 and charged 1:03-1:28.

You don't have enough info in your spreadsheet to compute Wh/mi - you also need to add in the change in the SoC (in other words I didn't always replace what I used on the previous leg).

Wh/mi ranged from 246Wh/mi to 351Wh/mi for the various legs, depending on all kinds of factors - weather, speed, traffic, elevation change, etc...
Time stamps are off in Illinois. Showing a 10pm last charge, then a 1am next charge. Wonder if that's an EST/CST thing happening there.

I was using the "Power Used" number from your screen shots. Is that power that the supercharged used, and "Power Added" is what actually made it into the car. So the efficiency listed is not that of the car, but that of the supercharger? Seems like a weird thing to report, although I guess if you're paying for the power pre-charger, then you want to know how much is wasted to heat. Right?

I'm guessing since I don't know how much you actually used (only what was added), and you could potentially add more than you used (assuming you start low, use some, then charge to higher than where you started) I don't have the info to calculate whr/mi....(which seems unfortunate it doesn't log that as well).

What's the story with not charging to 100% each time. I get the effeciencies are poor at higher states of charge, and current is limited to protect the battery pack and all that, however the ICE mentality suggests that you always charge to 100% (or fill up) at a charging station. I'm curious how you get past the mental hurdle of pulling away from a charger without a full tank. I can't imagine going to the gas station on a road trip and not completely filling the tank, only trusting that I'm going to carry what energy I think I need to make it to the next stop. The boy scout in me says that's a good way to find yourself unprepared in moderately unknown territory. I mean, clearly it works just fine, it's just some mental gymnastics to get over on my side.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Time stamps are off in Illinois. Showing a 10pm last charge, then a 1am next charge. Wonder if that's an EST/CST thing happening there.

I was using the "Power Used" number from your screen shots. Is that power that the supercharged used, and "Power Added" is what actually made it into the car. So the efficiency listed is not that of the car, but that of the supercharger? Seems like a weird thing to report, although I guess if you're paying for the power pre-charger, then you want to know how much is wasted to heat. Right?

I'm guessing since I don't know how much you actually used (only what was added), and you could potentially add more than you used (assuming you start low, use some, then charge to higher than where you started) I don't have the info to calculate whr/mi....(which seems unfortunate it doesn't log that as well).

What's the story with not charging to 100% each time. I get the effeciencies are poor at higher states of charge, and current is limited to protect the battery pack and all that, however the ICE mentality suggests that you always charge to 100% (or fill up) at a charging station. I'm curious how you get past the mental hurdle of pulling away from a charger without a full tank. I can't imagine going to the gas station on a road trip and not completely filling the tank, only trusting that I'm going to carry what energy I think I need to make it to the next stop. The boy scout in me says that's a good way to find yourself unprepared in moderately unknown territory. I mean, clearly it works just fine, it's just some mental gymnastics to get over on my side.
Charging gets a hell of a lot slower the higher the battery charge is. To make trips quicker, recharge to what you need for the next stop, not to 100%.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Time stamps are off in Illinois. Showing a 10pm last charge, then a 1am next charge. Wonder if that's an EST/CST thing happening there. Nothing weird happening - from 10:23pm (end of Illinois charge) I drove 2 hours 38 minutes and then started charging at 1:03am. There is some rounding happening, but no time zone issues.

I was using the "Power Used" number from your screen shots. Is that power that the supercharged used, and "Power Added" is what actually made it into the car. So the efficiency listed is not that of the car, but that of the supercharger? Seems like a weird thing to report, although I guess if you're paying for the power pre-charger, then you want to know how much is wasted to heat. Right? It's somewhat irrelevant data (even to a math geek like myself) but yes, the efficiency shown on the charge lines is the kWh drawn vs the kWh that went into the battery.

I'm guessing since I don't know how much you actually used (only what was added), and you could potentially add more than you used (assuming you start low, use some, then charge to higher than where you started) I don't have the info to calculate whr/mi....(which seems unfortunate it doesn't log that as well). You can get to it by using the SoC at the beginning and end of every charge session, but it's really not that important - I gave you the info above.

What's the story with not charging to 100% each time. I get the effeciencies are poor at higher states of charge, and current is limited to protect the battery pack and all that, however the ICE mentality suggests that you always charge to 100% (or fill up) at a charging station. I'm curious how you get past the mental hurdle of pulling away from a charger without a full tank. I can't imagine going to the gas station on a road trip and not completely filling the tank, only trusting that I'm going to carry what energy I think I need to make it to the next stop. The boy scout in me says that's a good way to find yourself unprepared in moderately unknown territory. I mean, clearly it works just fine, it's just some mental gymnastics to get over on my side. It's probably one of the biggest hurdles when you road trip with an EV, I still know people who "overfill" by 25% just to be "safe." The car gives you so much info en route that you can ALMOST always plan a 5%-10% buffer (which you can see is my target). The only risk I see is if an accident occurred that caused a 25+ mile detour DURING your leg. Remember that the car is using current traffic info so if a portion of the highway is closed before you start the leg it will route you via the detour and tell you to charge more (I have had this happen). Even if it happens while you are on the leg, your average speed is going to drop so heavily, causing your efficiency to go up so dramatically that you will probably have enough.

Adrianp89 answered about the taper, but here's the most I've ever charged at a Supercharger (from 6% to 96% - I don't recall why) so you can see that in this case the charge rate was highest until the battery hit about 40% then it started to slow down. I typically keep that battery between 5% and 70% if I'm trying to minimize my total travel time.

1628024474167.png