• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Towing with Tesla Model X

Alright, I'm late to meet a partner. Take care you guys and chat later. Lots of good posts by everyone today, btw.

Update on the 4xe. Range is advertised as 26 miles. Did 31 miles last night before the engine turned on. Mix of city and highway. Engine ran slightly then it went to hybrid mode for a mile then back to pure electric for the last mile home.

Started with 3/4 of a tank, about 450 miles in and still at 1/2 a tank.

Towing wise, we have only towed once but didn't pay too much attention to range. It can tow in pure electric with no issues. I was teaching my wife how to trailer so wasn't a good time to measure it towing, however I estimate it uses 50-60% of typical range.

Update on the 4xe. Range is advertised as 26 miles. Did 31 miles last night before the engine turned on. Mix of city and highway. Engine ran slightly then it went to hybrid mode for a mile then back to pure electric for the last mile home.

Towing wise, we have only towed once but didn't pay too much attention to range. It can tow in pure electric with no issues. I was teaching my wife how to trailer so wasn't a good time to measure it towing, however I estimate it uses 50-60% of typical range.
Do you plug that thing in at night?

Wife has been considering a Jeep (she wants a 4wd convertible), and this would be an interesting proposition if it works like that.

Jeep says 21 miles of EV range? 2022 Jeep® Wrangler 4xe - Hybrid Electric 4x4 SUV

Dash consistently says 26 miles when fully charged. No idea on the actual marketing. In either case, it is surpassing those numbers.

Do you plug that thing in at night?

Wife has been considering a Jeep (she wants a 4wd convertible), and this would be an interesting proposition if it works like that.

We plug it in whenever at home. It comes with a Level 1 charger, which is fully charged in 12 hours I think. We bought a Level 2 charger, which is about ~2 hours for full charge from empty. My wife can run errands for a little bit, come home, charge, and we can head out later with it fully charged again.

They do offer a power top option, which essentially makes it a convertible.

We plug it in whenever at home. It comes with a Level 1 charger, which is fully charged in 12 hours I think. We bought a Level 2 charger, which is about ~2 hours for full charge from empty. My wife can run errands for a little bit, come home, charge, and we can head out later with it fully charged again.

They do offer a power top option, which essentially makes it a convertible.
Gotcha.

Interesting concept for certain. 30mi would get my wife to work downtown and back. Starting price of $52k sounds rough though. They do have a $360 lease advertised which is far more palatable. I'm betting Jeep Wranglers are one of the best leasing vehicles out there considering the absurd LACK of depreciation....the residual has to be through the roof on those.

Wonder if it runs the engine every now and then if you spend too long in EV only. The Chey Volts would do that to keep oil circulated, bearings lubed, and the gas from going completely stale.

That's how I read it.

View attachment 169832

The graphic further up the page has 49 mpge listed, and the MILES as the units......which is confusing, and poor design IMO...

This graphic is misleading IMO.
View attachment 169834
2nd graphic is MPGe (i.e. the mpg "equivalent" for EVs).

For reference, the Tesla Model X MPGe is 102 and the Y is 122. :oops:

I don't think it is poor design - I think it is intentionally misleading, especially when they have the overall driving range right next to it.

Gotcha.

Interesting concept for certain. 30mi would get my wife to work downtown and back. Starting price of $52k sounds rough though. They do have a $360 lease advertised which is far more palatable. I'm betting Jeep Wranglers are one of the best leasing vehicles out there considering the absurd LACK of depreciation....the residual has to be through the roof on those.

Wonder if it runs the engine every now and then if you spend too long in EV only. The Chey Volts would do that to keep oil circulated, bearings lubed, and the gas from going completely stale.

Don't forget the $7500 federal tax credit. Apparently on the 4xE forums there is a dealer that is doing about 5-6k off of sticker too. You will have to pay 1k for it be shipped but still a good discount. I am employee of Chrysler Capital so I was able to use my EP.

Don't forget the $7500 federal tax credit. Apparently on the 4xE forums there is a dealer that is doing about 5-6k off of sticker too. You will have to pay 1k for it be shipped but still a good discount. I am employee of Chrysler Capital so I was able to use my EP.

Any idea what dealer that is? I'd like to beg and plead with them to get me a Hellcat Durango, lol.

Any idea what dealer that is? I'd like to beg and plead with them to get me a Hellcat Durango, lol.

tn[%2FB]=kK-R

Looks to be a lease broker but they say they do financing too.

a little allusion to the OP here about Tesla towing.

After some time with the car,I still say that if you MUST tow distance don't consider a move to EV YET. For some driving, gas is going to be better for some time. But for day to day commutes and MOST trips with no time constraint, its Tesla ALL day and twice on sunday. Even SHORT tow trips to your nearest ramp work. And, Maybe other EV brands if the charging infrastructure exists in your area...

I found an instance where the EV just wasnt good...

Had to head to a Coaching conference in KC last weekend, was planning on taking the Y. Wife had it all charged, heated and preconditioning. But I balked at the last minute. It was -5F and the jump to the next Supercharger through central rural MO is 190 miles. Some calculations were telling me if we maintained under a 60mph average id make 222 miles. There's back road option that saves 9 miles and is all 2 lane @ 55-60. But there was weather concerns, and I was driving a fellow coach. I figured id make it, just have to monitor speed and energy usage but decided I didn't want him to be part of my experiment. lol Also, the charging would have taken extra in the cold, and there were 9 of us coordinating training seminars, didn't want to be "the late guy" :D

So, Grabbed my sons Jetta, it was "fine" but boy did I miss that acceleration when having to pass on those back roads. The VW 2.5 5 cylinder is peppy but... it isnt instant 375ft/lbs of torque peppy :D:D:D:D:D I was sad but I took out my frustration by speeding like a mofo on the way home. made the 273 mile 4:42 trip under 3:50 with only one 10 minute gas stop.. VERY proud of that one. Bragging to the Mrs. she rolled her eyes. HAHAHAHAHA

... And, Maybe other EV brands if the charging infrastructure exists in your area...

This gets brought up a lot. The charging infrastructure in "your area".

I've been thinking on how this would impact me in general as I look to move to an EV. In general, the infrastructure around me is, well, bad. We have ONE EA charger, and ONE sueprcharger in town. Very few businesses have EV chargers in front of them as well at this point. I've been trying to be on the lookout for them, but they aren't super obvious if they are there.......SO.....Locally, it's not great, but does that really matter? Over the last year, I can think of TWO days where I drove more than 200mi in a single day (without towing to the lake). And both of those days I knew in advance were going to be long days. So, assuming I plug in every night, I should be good locally. No problemo.

Formal road trips are also "no big deal" really. There are 101 sources on how to get from here to there and hit some chargers on the way. Rarely covering rural areas. In the last 4 years I've not made trips far off the beaten path, and only 1 has been a "Hurry the dammit up and get here" issue, and that was from Louisville to St Louis. There's a charger in Mt Vernon, and even at significant speed, I think I could make it on a single charge in an emergency. Had one trip to Jacksonville about 5 years ago that was an emergency trip, but at that distance we had several stops anyway, just change my routine on road trips a bit, and get after it. Regardless of EA or Tesla backed chargers, it's possible.

It's the "mid-distance" use that still has me doing extra planning. This happens as I venture off the beaten path with a trailer in tow. Just no charging infrastructure from anyone out there. We're talking rural Kentucky, Indiana, and Tennessee. And we're talking quite a few miles of loaded range being needed between charging stops to make it off the interstate, to the lake, and back to an interstate. I'm sure the guys out west have it worse than I do (more physical distance between interstates out there) with this aspect.

I watched TFL work out the charging curve on the R1T yesterday. peak rate of like 155kW, and a 20%-80% time of around 77min or so. While not terrible in terms of modern tech, I would gladly give up my time to have that available near a lake, river, or state park. Really though, what I'm finding myself gravitate towards is creating a "charging tool kit" with some different plugs, and cables setup so I can plug in to any 240V outlet I can find. RV campsites in state parts have 50A 240V outlets. That's not going to fill me up in 75min, but I can let the thing sit there and charge overnight and be good to get home on Sunday. Similarly, lots of the cabins we stay at have 240V 50A plugs for the dryers in the laundry room. Again, kind of a sketchy solution, but it would get me the electrons I needed to make the trip home. If not that, they at least all have 110V available outside near the parking area. Not sure if an overnight would get me there or not, have to test at home first.

Point to all this rambling, is, for me......charging infrastructure doesn't exist for my most desirable (most needed) locations and trips. So I'm somewhat agnostic to that whole portion of the buying process. Tesla/GM/Rivian/Polestar/Audi......they're all going to have the same set of limitations for me......because infrastructure sucks near me and how/where I intend to drive.

Also, I wouldn't be 100% honest if I didn't admit to looking at AT4's with the baby Duramax last week. While I have a reservation on the Silverado EV, it's still a ways off, and I'm ready to get back into a truck now. We'll see how my vehicular ADD holds up with this springs bonus from work. If it's another big one, I might move back to a pickup sooner rather than later, and give my dad my spot in line for the EV.

That's a good point, charging infrastructure near you is pointless unless you don't own a home. Charging infrastructure where you want to go is more important.

I still want a baby duramax Tahoe real bad. It's virtually impossible to get one though. I think the automakers are prioritizing EV production over more normal models (Ford and GM especially), which may push adoption, but likely will just catastrophically backfire as people buy competitors that aren't as constrained.

I've been thinking on how this would impact me in general as I look to move to an EV. In general, the infrastructure around me is, well, bad. We have ONE EA charger, and ONE sueprcharger in town. Very few businesses have EV chargers in front of them as well at this point. I've been trying to be on the lookout for them, but they aren't super obvious if they are there.......SO.....Locally, it's not great, but does that really matter? Over the last year, I can think of TWO days where I drove more than 200mi in a single day (without towing to the lake). And both of those days I knew in advance were going to be long days. So, assuming I plug in every night, I should be good locally. No problemo.

Formal road trips are also "no big deal" really. There are 101 sources on how to get from here to there and hit some chargers on the way. Rarely covering rural areas. In the last 4 years I've not made trips far off the beaten path, and only 1 has been a "Hurry the dammit up and get here" issue, and that was from Louisville to St Louis. There's a charger in Mt Vernon, and even at significant speed, I think I could make it on a single charge in an emergency. Had one trip to Jacksonville about 5 years ago that was an emergency trip, but at that distance we had several stops anyway, just change my routine on road trips a bit, and get after it. Regardless of EA or Tesla backed chargers, it's possible.

It's the "mid-distance" use that still has me doing extra planning. This happens as I venture off the beaten path with a trailer in tow. Just no charging infrastructure from anyone out there. We're talking rural Kentucky, Indiana, and Tennessee. And we're talking quite a few miles of loaded range being needed between charging stops to make it off the interstate, to the lake, and back to an interstate. I'm sure the guys out west have it worse than I do (more physical distance between interstates out there) with this aspect.

I watched TFL work out the charging curve on the R1T yesterday. peak rate of like 155kW, and a 20%-80% time of around 77min or so. While not terrible in terms of modern tech, I would gladly give up my time to have that available near a lake, river, or state park. Really though, what I'm finding myself gravitate towards is creating a "charging tool kit" with some different plugs, and cables setup so I can plug in to any 240V outlet I can find. RV campsites in state parts have 50A 240V outlets. That's not going to fill me up in 75min, but I can let the thing sit there and charge overnight and be good to get home on Sunday. Similarly, lots of the cabins we stay at have 240V 50A plugs for the dryers in the laundry room. Again, kind of a sketchy solution, but it would get me the electrons I needed to make the trip home. If not that, they at least all have 110V available outside near the parking area. Not sure if an overnight would get me there or not, have to test at home first.

Point to all this rambling, is, for me......charging infrastructure doesn't exist for my most desirable (most needed) locations and trips. So I'm somewhat agnostic to that whole portion of the buying process. Tesla/GM/Rivian/Polestar/Audi......they're all going to have the same set of limitations for me......because infrastructure sucks near me and how/where I intend to drive.

Also, I wouldn't be 100% honest if I didn't admit to looking at AT4's with the baby Duramax last week. While I have a reservation on the Silverado EV, it's still a ways off, and I'm ready to get back into a truck now. We'll see how my vehicular ADD holds up with this springs bonus from work. If it's another big one, I might move back to a pickup sooner rather than later, and give my dad my spot in line for the EV.

agree.

weve already taken this trip during normal weather, but -5F killed it. Again, not a huge negative, I accepted this "con" of owning an EV. But, theres no "out" so to speak, should the math be wrong.

your quote here also frustrates me: Very few businesses have EV chargers in front of them as well at this point. I've been trying to be on the lookout for them, but they aren't super obvious if they are there

I dont like having to constantly look at a phone app. Tesla has part this handled and I know changes are coming but, as far as towing, and inclement weather use, the problems are exacerbated by these extremes, and a lack of convenience,. This takes a point away from EV use. Which nay-sayers will point at to "win" a debate.

Range is an important aspect to me and why I won't consider a 300-mile option for our two vehicle. 400 miles minimum, 500 preferred. And it's not because we plan to regularly drive those distances but because I expect 50% range in adverse conditions such as a monster snow storm or when towing the boat.

Aren't you in Georgetown?

Back