• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So find a public charger then uber to my work office? My point is - charging at home is going to be the cheapest and easiest option for most (which is most likely at night) You have offices with 1,000+ employees. Zero Chance they have 1,000 chargers installed. When I was in the office at my old company, the chargers where first come first serve. (about 10 for ~2000 employees) In the public space you can charge more to people sitting in a charging spot.... how would this work in the office? "Sorry guys, gotta drop from this shareholder meeting to move my car."
We have 4 chargers for a thousand or so people. You're only allowed to be on the charger for 4 hours, and are expected to move your car after 4 hours or you're topped off, whichever comes first.

It's a convenience for people, not a right, and they treat it as such. If someone is so important that they can't be taken away from what they're doing, I'm sure they can have an underling move their car.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So now I have to pay higher costs at my work, because the govt said I can't charge at home at night?
That's the price you pay for living in CA, lol. They're all about the "what sounds good" not "what works".

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So find a public charger then uber to my work office?
No, go to a charging station and wait with your car. Like how you get gas now.

My point is - charging at home is going to be the cheapest and easiest option for most (which is most likely at night) You have offices with 1,000+ employees. Zero Chance they have 1,000 chargers installed. When I was in the office at my old company, the chargers where first come first serve. (about 10 for ~2000 employees) In the public space you can charge more to people sitting in a charging spot.... how would this work in the office? "Sorry guys, gotta drop from this shareholder meeting to move my car."
Like anything else in the corporate world is now......to start anyway. Implement it as a perk. Employee of the month gets a premium parking spot, why not put a charger there? Why not bill your employees a subsidized cost to incentivise charger usage? OR, make it a profit center where you mark up your energy cost by a percentage point or two and let your employees enjoy less expensive energy (because you already buy in bulk) than they can buy elsewhere?

Nobody is going to drop off a shareholder call to move their car. But they can take their regular smoke break and move it. The ways to handle this with internal company policy are as varied as the companies production. An IT company will handle their policies differently than a construction company, that is different from a manufacturing company. The premise is that government policy makers should incentivise the use during the day. The implementation can take many forms, and I'm not sure anyone has it figured out.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Apparently there's a lot of EVs that got flooded by Ian that are "catching fire and exploding" because their batteries are corroding, according to Lee County officials.

While no vehicle is designed with surviving flood waters in mind, the car catching on fire is a pretty big downside to me. I'm surprised the battery packs aren't required to survive extended submersion in salt.water.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Apparently there's a lot of EVs that got flooded by Ian that are "catching fire and exploding" because their batteries are corroding, according to Lee County officials.

While no vehicle is designed with surviving flood waters in mind, the car catching on fire is a pretty big downside to me. I'm surprised the battery packs aren't required to survive extended submersion in salt.water.
I've seen a few reddit posts around this. So far every picture I've seen has been a hybrid not an EV. Wonder if there is some core technology difference that is causing the fire as opposed to the EV? Wonder if it it's the multiple connections between battery and motor/generator, or even just the premise that the batteries aren't as well sealed since they aren't as critical of a piece of the driveline?

I would like to see some data. I don't trust JQPublic to correctly identify a car any further than I can throw the car. Too many years being around "car guys" and "boat people" to even begin to think the average dude knows how to identify anything other than the shape (sedan/wagon/suv/pickup/etc) and number of doors.

Don't get me wrong either. Could be EV's catching on fire, and I can totally see how the high current generated being enough to start the fire though. Lots of soft/combustible materials near where the wires run.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've seen a few reddit posts around this. So far every picture I've seen has been a hybrid not an EV. Wonder if there is some core technology difference that is causing the fire as opposed to the EV? Wonder if it it's the multiple connections between battery and motor/generator, or even just the premise that the batteries aren't as well sealed since they aren't as critical of a piece of the driveline?

I would like to see some data. I don't trust JQPublic to correctly identify a car any further than I can throw the car. Too many years being around "car guys" and "boat people" to even begin to think the average dude knows how to identify anything other than the shape (sedan/wagon/suv/pickup/etc) and number of doors.

Don't get me wrong either. Could be EV's catching on fire, and I can totally see how the high current generated being enough to start the fire though. Lots of soft/combustible materials near where the wires run.
They say an EV battery is sealed and watertight, which still can get water intrusion if seal is compromised. All the Toyota hybrid batteries that i have seen are not as water tight and can get easily compromised

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They say an EV battery is sealed and watertight, which still can get water intrusion if seal is compromised. All the Toyota hybrid batteries that i have seen are not as water tight and can get easily compromised
The pictures I've seen have either been Ford CMax Hybrids or Priuseseseses.

Like 4 pictures, so not a large data set.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The pictures I've seen have either been Ford CMax Hybrids or Priuseseseses.

Like 4 pictures, so not a large data set.
Yeah, I mean, it's kinda all anecdotal. They're trying to find and count bodies, notnworry about how many rich people's EV are on fire. Priorities and all.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

This thought would never even cross my mind. If situation is the point where the battery pack is completely under water - the car is totaled. Fire or no fire.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This thought would never even cross my mind. If situation is the point where the battery pack is completely under water - the car is totaled. Fire or no fire.
For sure. I'd be more concerned about the fire risk if it was flooded in a garage or similar.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New 2024 GMC Denali EV announced today.

As expected it looks like the Silverado EV with some subtle styling changes.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's a bit more handsome.than the silverado i think.... but i see cladding. Like, late 90s amounts of cladding.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's a bit more handsome.than the silverado i think.... but i see cladding. Like, late 90s amounts of cladding.
GMC has always had those archs and cladding look. Not sure why they're such a fan. My '15 Sierra had just the arches. Had a Typhoon for awhile that was all cladding below the body line.

I do agree it looks better than the Silverado.

Reservations are already full a little over an hour after the announcement :(

Can't afford $107k anyway.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
GMC has always had those archs and cladding look. Not sure why they're such a fan. My '15 Sierra had just the arches. Had a Typhoon for awhile that was all cladding below the body line.

I do agree it looks better than the Silverado.

Reservations are already full a little over an hour after the announcement :(

Can't afford $107k anyway.
It's probably 50% scalpers, 40% people who sign up everything in the hopes to get one, 5% people who are dreaming about affording $110k, and 5% actually buyers that can afford it tbh.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Your not the only one. I think that GM priced themselves out of the market for a regular Joe to buy something like this.
107k is a whole new ball game. I mentioned in the other thread my fully-loaded Ram was 70k sticker and bought it for 50k new.. In this current market MSRP seems to be the selling point, so I would be looking at paying over double for a new truck. I just couldn't do it. 107k is in my dream car territory.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
107k is a whole new ball game. I mentioned in the other thread my fully-loaded Ram was 70k sticker and bought it for 50k new.. In this current market MSRP seems to be the selling point, so I would be looking at paying over double for a new truck. I just couldn't do it. 107k is in my dream car territory.
Agreed, the whole EV transition is going to run out of steam really quick woth MSRPs like that.

I built a loaded to the max f150 platinum the other day, it was 84k. That was entirely too much money. This is another 20k plus over that. That's ANOTHER CAR more than that. That's 70k miles worth of $5 a gallon gas more. If gas were to be in the 2 dollar a gallon range again, you could not drive enough to offset the cost.

I get it, 750hp and whatever and crabs mode and all that... but that's a lot of freaking money for a truck that likely will run into the same limitations as lightning, meaning it won't be a good truck.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They are probably toting their high end model and might come out with a cheaper, more economical one priced for the average consumer at $80-90k (sarcasm)

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They are probably toting their high end model and might come out with a cheaper, more economical one priced for the average consumer at $80-90k (sarcasm)
Fun fact. The payment on a hypothetical 100k truck, with 25k equity from a prior vehicle (lol cuz that's what most people will have), with excellent credit on a 72 month loan is $1400 a month. If you just came.out of a lease and have no equity, or you're a serial trader with no equity, it's nearly 1900 a month.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's how the Silverado is supposed to work. $102k for the RST, closer to $60k for the W/T. I'm sure there will be some LT and LS models in between with more reasonable MSRP numbers.

Current Denali is nearly $90k, Electric one is $107k. If you're honestly shopping at that level, the difference is negligible IMO.

Much like wages. The difference in day to day life of a guy that makes $100k and $300k isn't all that great. Once you cross a particular barrier (I think it's like $70k) the change in lifestyle stops being as dramatic. That's where these Uber-Expensive trucks live.

Says the guy with the smallest boat on the boards :D :D