• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer 101

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As for backing up... start with both hands palm up on the bottom of the wheel. Your thumbs are pointing the direction the trailer will go when the wheel goes the direction that thumb is pointing. Dont oversteer --- allow your 50 feet of rig to slowly go where you need it to.
I tried this method with the wife, this has been the best way I can explain to someone how to know what direction you're going to be going, and she still cannot back up a trailer for shit. We're close enough to the ramp that I end up doing it, but I've explained to her that she needs to figure this out in case we trailer somewhere, or she's gonna need to learn how to drive the boat and pull up to a dock. She doesn't want to do either, and to boot, last year she backed the EMPTY trailer halfway into the ditch in front of our vacation place while bending over the address marker sign Blinded.gif Nutpunch.gif

soccermom.gif

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tried this method with the wife, this has been the best way I can explain to someone how to know what direction you're going to be going, and she still cannot back up a trailer for shit. We're close enough to the ramp that I end up doing it, but I've explained to her that she needs to figure this out in case we trailer somewhere, or she's gonna need to learn how to drive the boat and pull up to a dock. She doesn't want to do either, and to boot, last year she backed the EMPTY trailer halfway into the ditch in front of our vacation place while bending over the address marker sign View attachment 110093 View attachment 110094

View attachment 110095
As Clint Eastwood reminded us, "A man (or woman) has got to know his (or her) limitations."

My wife doesn't want anything to do with backing the trailer or driving the boat and I think she's right. She can't do the spacial relationships necessary to back a trailer and her comfort level driving the boat is just above zero.

I'm sure with interest and practice, she'd be capable of doing either. The thing is, she's not interested so she's not going to practice. Assuming that doesn't change, she will not become capable.

Sometimes we just gotta resign ourselves to the fact that it's "our" job.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yup, to each Their Own

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Even if my wife wanted to, I would not let her. 120k worth of equipment in the hands of a woman that I love but has issues finding the lines at Target? Hard pass.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tried this method with the wife, this has been the best way I can explain to someone how to know what direction you're going to be going, and she still cannot back up a trailer for shit. We're close enough to the ramp that I end up doing it, but I've explained to her that she needs to figure this out in case we trailer somewhere, or she's gonna need to learn how to drive the boat and pull up to a dock. She doesn't want to do either, and to boot, last year she backed the EMPTY trailer halfway into the ditch in front of our vacation place while bending over the address marker sign View attachment 110093 View attachment 110094

View attachment 110095
^^^DITTO^^^^

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Disclaimer: I am a Ford guy and always will be. If anyone is in the pickup market with this issue, I recommend the Pro Trailer Backup Assist. My girlfriend uses this and has old-timers at the ramp complimenting her skills. She was extremely hesitant to try, and I was going to make her do it manually. It was a real disaster (as you can imagine) but I set up the system and I have to tell you it makes us look like champs loading and unloading the boat. Super busy ramps, other couples are screaming and cussing each other out on the verge of divorce, we do our thing and leave still happy "domestic partners" as I call us lol. Add in a VHF in the cab of the truck and she doesn't even have to roll the window down to hear me yelling "left" or "right" louder than the domestic dispute taking place at the next ramp. I just broadcast them on channel 68, she responds. If not for this I would be driving the truck and launching the boat solo.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Lol

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Disclaimer: I am a Ford guy and always will be. If anyone is in the pickup market with this issue, I recommend the Pro Trailer Backup Assist. My girlfriend uses this and has old-timers at the ramp complimenting her skills. She was extremely hesitant to try, and I was going to make her do it manually. It was a real disaster (as you can imagine) but I set up the system and I have to tell you it makes us look like champs loading and unloading the boat. Super busy ramps, other couples are screaming and cussing each other out on the verge of divorce, we do our thing and leave still happy "domestic partners" as I call us lol. Add in a VHF in the cab of the truck and she doesn't even have to roll the window down to hear me yelling "left" or "right" louder than the domestic dispute taking place at the next ramp. I just broadcast them on channel 68, she responds. If not for this I would be driving the truck and launching the boat solo.
Pro-trailer on our F150 has definitely made her more confident... at least enough to do it on non busy days for now. Hoping that gives her the practice to be confident on busy days in the future. Best part for her is that it keeps the whole rig in line on the longer narrower ramps so she isn't fighting with keeping it all straight all the way down

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The biggest confidence zapper is definitely other people at the ramp. As hard as it is you have to get her to ignore the chaos around. Sometimes other people “helping” does quite the opposite.