• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Travel trailer solar panel install

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I bought and install ours in 1995/96 it is a 24 v system with a Trace 4000w true sign wave inverter and about 7 days of storage in the batteries, depending on usage. Being off the grid, I designed the system by calculating our daily usage of everything we used. Refrigerators, with auto defrost are big users and that is why we still use our Sunfrost 22 years later, although we have added another frig. and freezer to the loads since. Transformers plugged in walls will use power 24/7. The television uses a lot. There was no internet around when I did this, but there are sites with information on this topic.http://www.leonics.com/support/article2_12j/articles2_12j_en.php, is one there are others. Currently, my system inputs have not grown as my system demands have and is undersized for the loads of the pool filter (summer) and all the circulators and outdoor boiler (winter), but it helps out and I do have a quiet backup if the power grid goes out

To start, break down your monthly demand into daily demands and then from there you can calculate your system requirements based on average hours of daylight or wind speeds for your area and the hourly amp/watt outputs of the pv/wind devices used.

SunCommon has a big presence in our area, I have seen many roofs covered with panels recently installed.
Thanks. My issue is that I use so much electricity it is very difficult to generate it all. My house is entirely electric (heat, water heater, dryer, stove, etc.) as there is no natural gas line in my area.

I need an enormous system which isn't anywhere near cost effective, in addition to still not generating sufficient electricity to be off the grid. Even with subsidies in the form of tax breaks, the quotes I've received are $60,000+. That buys me a ton of electricity at 13 cents per kWh.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thanks. My issue is that I use so much electricity it is very difficult to generate it all. My house is entirely electric (heat, water heater, dryer, stove, etc.) as there is no natural gas line in my area.

I need an enormous system which isn't anywhere near cost effective, in addition to still not generating sufficient electricity to be off the grid. Even with subsidies in the form of tax breaks, the quotes I've received are $60,000+. That buys me a ton of electricity at 13 cents per kWh.
Propane is fairly cheap and can be a nice setup so you can use it for heat, stove, oven. I think there are even propane generators which can lower cost as well.
http://www.generac.com/for-homeowners/home-backup-power
Since your location states Maryland: http://www.thompsongas.com/

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Ya 4000kwh/ month is a lot to generate. Feasibility and pay back is something to consider for sure. I do use propane or wood for furnace, domestic hot water, cooking and clothes dryer. Propane bill is about $700/yr and the wood is collected and processed by me on the farm. My small wind and PV system, installed 20 years ago, cuts our power bill in half from $120 to $60 saving us about $15000 over that period. Less than the 10,000 initial cost. I do not produce all the power I use, to do that I would need a bigger system. I do not like paying $500 power bills every month and would find ways to reduce them.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I agree 100%, I don't like paying so much for electricity either, and will likely replace the heat pumps with propane when they wear out. However, though I will likely be more comfortable in the winter time, I don't believe I will reduce my monthly spend much if you factor in the cost of propane and electricity. I believe we should be further along in alternate sources of energy and battery research/knowledge. We've been able to power calculators with indoor, artificial light for forty years. Look at other technology and compare the gain of knowledge in the past forty years.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its very difficult to power a whole house with solar, without modifying the house and your lifestyle. A typical electric range can use 4x the total power output of a large solar system. I saw some neat natural gas fuel cells in Japan that were about the size of a fridge. Unfortunately with most solar you end up with a 20 year payback. Cam.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
That is what I have gathered in my research as well. Unfortunately it seems that I cannot even make solar pay for itself, let alone the cost of running the entire house.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Well, i still use my small solar panel charger to keep my batteries charged up all winter but if i get a new camper i may go bigger and get bigger batteries as well

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I finished this last month but got too busy to post some pics. Here is the completed install. Cam.

Metering 2.jpg Metering.jpg mount on roof.jpg Panel Gap.jpg Panel mount side 1.jpg Panels on roof 1.jpg Solar Controller 2.jpg Solar Controller.jpg

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The controller hardly generates any heat. I was contemplating putting an air vent in but I am not sure that I will need it. Cam.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its very difficult to power a whole house with solar, without modifying the house and your lifestyle. A typical electric range can use 4x the total power output of a large solar system. I saw some neat natural gas fuel cells in Japan that were about the size of a fridge. Unfortunately with most solar you end up with a 20 year payback. Cam.
And not a 20yr shelf life on most components. . . . . . The new solar roof shingles Elon Musk has been touting (combined with his hiuse batteries) should be interesting if they take off.

https://www.tesla.com/solarroof

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First trip out on the weekend, weather super sunny. Batteries were charged by 9:30am each morning. Cam.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We just spent 6 nites dry camping. It was nice to be the only one in the group not worried about power. Was mostly sunny so the batteries were fully charged by 9:30am most days. Lots of trailers are not very well set up. Our friends new $75K 43' toyhauler has one battery. It went dead almost every day. Probably an optimum amount of panels would be 2x 150W panels although its nice having the excess for when I add a 2000W inverter for the coffee maker. Cam.

Last edited: