• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trim Tabs - options - wake surfing (and cruising)

Jack Long

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you guys for all the information. I will be ordering a set, now that I have seen it done!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you guys for all the information. I will be ordering a set, now that I have seen it done!
Happy to send you my invoice with the exact parts. My tabs install in such a way that you can still wake surf (if you or the next owner want to) as they retract completely (or at least enough to be out of the water).

--

Jack Long

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Happy to send you my invoice with the exact parts. My tabs install in such a way that you can still wake surf (if you or the next owner want to) as they retract completely (or at least enough to be out of the water).

--
Hey that would be a great help! TY

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

--
I already ordered them, but I would like to know the proper install so we can surf too. Special way you have to install for them to retract completely?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I already ordered them, but I would like to know the proper install so we can surf too. Special way you have to install for them to retract completely?
The tab size (9" chord, w/tapered edges- flared up) and short style actuators are the key, w/placement as pictured.
The point is to have the tabs:
  1. angled up when fully retracted (instead of pointing strait/level or down) - to prevent them from ploughing through the surf wake surface;
  2. top actuator mounts recessed under the swim platform (forward of the tie down U-bolt to U-bolt line) - to permit installation of @jcyamaharider Wake Wedge (or any one of those "flap" devices - attached with a cross-member mounted between the U-bolts).
--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally did my install yesterday and finished up today. Had a little hiccup but everything looking good now. Just need to get it on the water to test. Justin at ridestready and @swatski were big help in this. I'm super pumped now. Thank you all. Hopefully I can get the trim tabs installed next week.

myblueheaven305

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Installed the Lectrolab Trim Tabs Yesterday.. What a difference.. To test we took the Inter-coastal from Haulover to Miami Beach, when returning we decided to test on 2-4 foot swells in the Atlantic and drove back Miami Beach to Haulover... Averaged 27 mph hugged the water like we were riding a skate board doing rail slides. We were were driving parallel to the current.. One of my clients told me "Owning a boat without Trim Tabs is like Owning a Car with out BRAKEs".. now I understand..

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Installed the Lectrolab Trim Tabs Yesterday.. What a difference.. To test we took the Inter-coastal from Haulover to Miami Beach, when returning we decided to test on 2-4 foot swells in the Atlantic and drove back Miami Beach to Haulover... Averaged 27 mph hugged the water like we were riding a skate board doing rail slides. We were were driving parallel to the current.. One of my clients told me "Owning a boat without Trim Tabs is like Owning a Car with out BRAKEs".. now I understand..
Very well said!!
Awesome!

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's great. I'm getting my put on hopefully this week. Glad to hear more great news about them.

myblueheaven305

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's great. I'm getting my put on hopefully this week. Glad to hear more great news about them.
You will be happy with the results, For me it took off the Limitations of where I can take my boat.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally got the trim tab installed. All I can say is wow. After testing of this product, I'm so sold. I went ahead and got the automatic leveling system to give some peace of mind at times. The thing I love about that is, I can take it into manual mode anytime I like. During test runs yesterday, I set my gains on the controller for fast response time. I was always at plane even going 10 mph. That's pretty impressive. The automatic leveler lets you fine tune things to how you like. I now can ride with the bow down anytime I like. To be honest, the way it rode, I have no idea why Yamaha did not incorporate this into all the boats. Makes the boating experience that much better. Lots of folks have questions about the auto leveler and after experience it, I don't know why I would go any other way. It is constantly adjusting and keep boat plane out. The best part is, you never hear the tabs until engines are off or even feel the change of altitude when adjustments are being made. You can go in and out of auto mode. This paired up with my Ridesteady makes me feel like I driving a Mercedes. I am anxious and curious to try it on big waves. It was rather calm yesterday so things were little biased I could say. Well keep everyone posted once I try them in windy conditions.

Attachments

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice on the self leveling. I would still disengage on following seas to prevent from stuffing like a spoon into the next wave... Experience will tell I'm sure.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes. That's one reason I cannot wait to get into windy and wavy conditions to test out. It's pretty windy today so hopefully I can get more test runs under rough conditions.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally got the trim tab installed. All I can say is wow. After testing of this product, I'm so sold. I went ahead and got the automatic leveling system to give some peace of mind at times. The thing I love about that is, I can take it into manual mode anytime I like. During test runs yesterday, I set my gains on the controller for fast response time. I was always at plane even going 10 mph. That's pretty impressive. The automatic leveler lets you fine tune things to how you like. I now can ride with the bow down anytime I like. To be honest, the way it rode, I have no idea why Yamaha did not incorporate this into all the boats. Makes the boating experience that much better. Lots of folks have questions about the auto leveler and after experience it, I don't know why I would go any other way. It is constantly adjusting and keep boat plane out. The best part is, you never hear the tabs until engines are off or even feel the change of altitude when adjustments are being made. You can go in and out of auto mode. This paired up with my Ridesteady makes me feel like I driving a Mercedes. I am anxious and curious to try it on big waves. It was rather calm yesterday so things were little biased I could say. Well keep everyone posted once I try them in windy conditions.
Awesome!
Now the only missing piece, the only thing we need to make it into a Lamborghini, is a good reflash to smooth out that throttle response curve, particularly the low end - before the RideSteady kicks in.
Well, guess what?... I’m working on that :cool:

But that’s for another thread.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome!
Now the only missing piece, the only thing we need to make it into a Lamborghini, is a good reflash to smooth out that throttle response curve, particularly the low end - before the RideSteady kicks in.
Well, guess what?... I’m working on that :cool:

But that’s for another thread.

Well you know I'm all ears for the final product. Hope you get it figured out. I though I just needed to tighten my cables more to fix this issue lol.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski or @Bruce I'm being lazy and don't fell like going back and reading through 8 pages of an old thread but when you installed these did you have to modify the tie downs on the rear of the trailer to get around the tabs or was it fine? I just ordered the 12X12 Lenco polished tabs with the LED switch just trying to figure out if I need to look at the trailer as well?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski or @Bruce I'm being lazy and don't fell like going back and reading through 8 pages of an old thread but when you installed these did you have to modify the tie downs on the rear of the trailer to get around the tabs or was it fine? I just ordered the 12X12 Lenco polished tabs with the LED switch just trying to figure out if I need to look at the trailer as well?
Mine are 9x16, no mods of the tie downs.

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine are 9x16, no mods of the tie downs.

--
When you installed yours did you hook the wire to the auto retract to the ignition or did you just find a hot wire that was only hot when the boat was on? I thought about just hooking that wire to the remote switch on the radio since it turns off when I kill the ignition.