• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trolling Motor Install on FSH 220

FSH220Now!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi all, I'm preparing to install a new Minn Kota Riptide Terrova Trolling Motor
112 LBS (36V) / 72" on my FSH 220

I'd like feedback on the parts to ensure I'm thinking correctly. I'm new to this and have been doing a lot of research, but I still have much to learn. Any help is much appreciated. So far what I have is:

6 Gauge Marine Wire Tinned Copper Boat Cable, Standard USA OFC Oxygen Free Copper Wire
Minn Kota 1865106 MKR-19 Waterproof Circuit Breaker Marine Motor Accessory, 60 Amps, Large, Black
Minn Kota 1865106 MKR-19 Waterproof Circuit Breaker Marine Motor Accessory, 60 Amps, Large, Black
by Minn Kota (Sports) |
Minn Kota 1865108 AC Power Port-Black / MKR-21
Minn Kota 1865108 AC Power Port-Black / MKR-21
by Minn Kota (Sports) |
Minn Kota 1854017 Quick Release Bracket / RTA-17 White
Minn Kota 1854017 Quick Release Bracket / RTA-17 White
by Minn Kota (Sports) |
Cable Lug Crimping Tool with 170pcs Copper Wire Lugs and 210pcs Heat Shrinkable Tube, Wire Crimping Tool for AWG 10-1/0 Electrical Lug Crimper, with Cable Cutter
Cable Lug Crimping Tool with 170pcs Copper Wire Lugs and 210pcs Heat Shrinkable Tube, Wire Crimping Tool for AWG 10-1/0 Electrical Lug Crimper, with Cable Cutter
by Mdvora (Tools & Home Improvement) |
1865120 MKR-28 Trolling Motor Plug and Receptacle For Minn Kota Freshwater and Saltwater Marine Boat Battery Accessory Male Female Connector Socket Waterproof Heavy Duty 8AWG Rated To 60A Up To 48V
1865120 MKR-28 Trolling Motor Plug and Receptacle For Minn Kota Freshwater and Saltwater Marine Boat Battery Accessory Male Female Connector Socket Waterproof Heavy Duty 8AWG Rated To 60A Up To 48V
by E-cowlboy |
AWBLIN Upgrade Battery Disconnect Switch with Voltmeter, DC 5-60V Master Isolator Cut/Shut Off Switch for Marine Boat Car Truck Camper RV Trailer Vehicles Engine Application (On/Off)
AWBLIN Upgrade Battery Disconnect Switch with Voltmeter, DC 5-60V Master Isolator Cut/Shut Off Switch for Marine Boat Car Truck Camper RV Trailer Vehicles Engine Application (On/Off)
by AWBLIN |
LiTime 12V 100Ah LiFePO4 Battery BCI Group 31 Lithium Battery Built-in 100A BMS, Up to 15000 Deep Cycles, Perfect for RV, Marine, Home Energy Storage(3 Packs)
LiTime 12V 100Ah LiFePO4 Battery BCI Group 31 Lithium Battery Built-in 100A BMS, Up to 15000 Deep Cycles, Perfect for RV, Marine, Home Energy Storage(3 Packs)
by Litime |
NOCO Genius GEN5X3, 3-Bank, 15A (5A/Bank) Smart Marine Battery Charger, 12V Waterproof Onboard Boat Charger, Battery Maintainer and Desulfator for AGM, Lithium (LiFePO4) and Deep-Cycle Batteries
NOCO Genius GEN5X3, 3-Bank, 15A (5A/Bank) Smart Marine Battery Charger, 12V Waterproof Onboard Boat Charger, Battery Maintainer and Desulfator for AGM, Lithium (LiFePO4) and Deep-Cycle Batteries
by NOCO (Electronics) |

I am planning on installing the batteries on a tray just forward of the center console storage area. I'll probably have to build something for this specifically. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. I plan on getting the parts together and wiring it in my garage prior to install on the boat.Thanks!

Very comprehensive parts list!

First, you need to be able to charge those lfp batteries at 10A minimum, in fact this battery recommends 20A charge current. I evolved to the Victron Energy IP67 battery chargers (configurable from 3A to 25A) and would highly recommend them over any of the other brands like noco, pro mariner or my original minnkota PC MK 220 / 330 chargers.

F613E3FA-046E-432A-9B3F-4C4E0FE0C45F.jpeg

Having said that, the Battle Born batteries are also on sale on amazon at 20% off, and they are the only battery that I would buy based on the extensive research I did before I set up my trolling motor battery bank with lfp. This is thread I did on conversion to LiFePo batteries, lots of great information there and great input from our site members.

I originally had a Minnkota AC power port and did not like it, I switched to a noco two plug style a much better AC plug than the minnkota one.

The trolling motor plug you have chosen is burly and a great choice.

The crimping tool and connector set I cannot recommend, (I bought one) the lugs / connectors that come with that set are very thin material, I’d look at using burndy lugs of the correct size, cut your wire to the correct lengths and take it that to a battery shop and they should be able to crimp the lugs for you, or even have the lugs there. The #6 wire you have selected is good for the run to the trolling motor itself, but I suggest going to #1 welding cable or machine wire for the battery jumpers.

I also do not see a Victron smart shunt in your parts list, that is something I would install to monitor the trolling motor battery bank, and perhaps another on your house bank. I read the reviews of the batteries you selected and looks like there has been some issues getting the app to synch up with the batteries and no customer support. Speaking of customer support, that is one of the main reasons I chose BB batteries.

I personally like the trolling motor quick disconnect plate, it is a snug fit with the trolling motor. So snug that if the locking bar is left in the sun and the quick disconnect has been in the shade it is hard to get the locking bar installed.

I like that trolling motor plug and circuit breaker.

Back