• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

UPDATE: F150 EcoBoost Blew Up on Saturday

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If the extended warranty doesn’t come through ask your dealer if Ford has some sort of customer care program. Been a while but Ford took care of me when my 350 needed a new transmission at 39k miles. Got a brand new trans with an extended warranty.

Yours is a bit older than mine was though.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well this sucks. I hope you get this worked out without too much trouble.

Funny you should mention that the dealer didn't want to move on price. I just saw this on youtube this morning so your comment reminded me I had seen it:

TLDW version: Dealers are not dropping prices on new cars because 1) The factories are closed and no more are being made so the dealer figures it's a supply/demand thing; and 2) Those piggies have been making so much money over the last several years that they can afford to sit on their inventory right now. As the video says, anyone who knows anything about business finance knows that they have to be flush with cash in order to be able to do that. Remember that time you got such a great deal that the dealer lost money on the sale? Yeah, that's why the dealership looks like a palace. They lose money on their sales all the time.

That said, used prices are way down and expected to continue to drop for another month or so.

I might be looking for vehicle #3 if I can convince myself to pull the trigger on a 5 - 10 year old sedan.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Running that 5.7 hemi in my 19 Ram and ran that 6.2 in my 392 Charger. Mopar engines are strong AF as long as you don’t mind paying the mpg’s. 😂

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Never been a huge fan of the EB. I had a 2014 5.0 I put 150k miles on in about 3 years, then a 2018 I just traded with 95k. Never even had a check engine light. I now have the 3.0 Power Stroke, loving it so far. Gets about 5 mpg better than the 5.0 with more torque. As soon as warranty is up I’ll be deleting and tuning it. Sorry about the EB issues, I hear the 2.7 is a bit stouter but no personal experience other than just driving one.

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There’s a video on YouTube where they go around and ask all the techs at a dealer if they were to buy a new F-150, what engine would they get. EVERY ONE said the v8... because of reliability. If that isn’t a dead give away, I don’t know what is. It’s sad, Ford really has everyone convinced going with the Ecoboost is the right thing to do. Great marketing on their part.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Seems like a good deal of bashing on the first gen 3.5; but that is easier the older stuff gets because people have had the time to identify the weaknesses. On the newer trucks, one might consider the fixes to second gen 3.5s were offset by the then introduction of a then-unproven 10 speed transmission and aluminum body Chevy folks like to drop toolboxes on. Everyone has brand preferences and usually values personal experience to those loyalties most; but without some legit statistics, it is only fair to point out the vast numbers of 3.5 Ecoboost vehicles with 100k and 200k still happily in service.

I am a long time owner of a 2011 3.5 Ecoboost. Like my 2006 SX210, I like managing the asset through at least 10 years of its lifecycle versus being more hands-off and replacing with new before the real sustainment phase begins. So I will share what I have learned about its technical weaknesses, which I have addressed and/or compensated for along the way.

1. Induction deposits (intake valves) from blow-by with direct injection (hard on the turbos if you treat with potent cleaners and break it all loose into the turbos at once)
-my fix: regular fuel system treatment to prevent mass build-up, an occasional “floor it” and a dual catch can to keep the blow-by from recirculating through the pcv
-Ford’s gen2 fix: dual injection so the intake spray keeps the valves clean

2. Timing chain slack -bad design on synchrophasers and chain stretch
-my fix: factory TSB to replace chain and synchrophasers
-Ford’s gen2 fix: incorporate the same

3. Transmission lead frame assembly intermittent sensor readings (output shaft speed sensor)
-my fix: need the new design via TSB again once the old wears out
-Ford’s fix: introduce a new 10 speed to help keep up with increasing epa requirements

4. Intercooler water pooling/ingestion stall
-my fix: nothing. I have never experienced a problem during those conditions. Some drill a drain hole (induction leak) in the intercooler
-Ford’s fix: was to cover up a large portion of the intercooler to reduce its effectiveness capturing and condensing the moisture.

5. Spark plugs- they can wear out (arc the insulator) much faster than the book replacement interval
-my fix: replace and inspect, especially if the engine ever stumbles under high boost

6. Turbo lag: one Mississippi, two...whoa!
-my fix: post warranty custom tune...I’m in the fun phase now

7. Weak rear end - fine for all the empty bed, no tow folks
-my fix: rear airbags and full Fox suspension
Ford’s fix: buy a Super Duty

8. loss of that throaty V8 sound we all love.
My fix: nothing-the truck is much quieter inside than a V8 and loves to tug hard at 1500rpm
Ford’s fix: a prerecorded engine noise played over the speakers when you press the gas. REALLY?! What? No speakers by the tailpipe?

I am very bummed you experienced a failure, especially on the way to the lake! I am glad everyone was safe. The turbos are something to respect and eventually you need to maintain or replace. Deciding when (before a blow-up) can be a tough and pricey call; but not near as pricey as what they want for a new F-150.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Never been a huge fan of the EB. I had a 2014 5.0 I put 150k miles on in about 3 years, then a 2018 I just traded with 95k. Never even had a check engine light. I now have the 3.0 Power Stroke, loving it so far. Gets about 5 mpg better than the 5.0 with more torque. As soon as warranty is up I’ll be deleting and tuning it. Sorry about the EB issues, I hear the 2.7 is a bit stouter but no personal experience other than just driving one.
I have been very interested to hear about the 3.0 powerstroke... how does it stack up to the dodge ecodiesel? I hears the powerstroke has more hp but I been waiting to hear about real world results.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been very interested to hear about the 3.0 powerstroke... how does it stack up to the dodge ecodiesel? I hears the powerstroke has more hp but I been waiting to hear about real world results.
Don't mess around just go ram 2500 limited like my father in law.. good gosh that vehicle is sexy... coming from a Ford guy

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
.... must ... resist....bashing... Dodge.... ;)

Europeans have been making good gas turbos for a while. NA manufacturers have to play catch up a little. Despite all the advantages of diesel, I think it's time is almost past as emission goals are gradually reduced and electrical becoming more viable for the average driver.

I have admit, driving a 3.5L ecoboost is very pleasant. Good on gas on cruise control at 70, goes like stink when you push it.

Last edited:

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't mess around just go ram 2500 limited like my father in law.. good gosh that vehicle is sexy... coming from a Ford guy
Oh I love dodge! You havent drive a good v8 untill u have been behind one of the hemi engines and gradually add power! Drove a charger with one for work for years.... I loved it when u changed lanes to pass some one and didnt just stand on it but gave it some gas.... that thing didnt do the whimpy 10speed automatic and drop 4 gears to get up the juice to accelerate.... that 5.7 would just dig deep in the gear it was in and start this loud low growl sound as the torque came on and it slammed u back in the seat and all of a sudden everything outside the vehicle started to stretch like the enterprise jumping to warp!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I drive a freaking ford tarus with a v6 6 and a shit ton of gears in the transmission to make up for the loss of power!.. its THE WORST WORK CAR EVER MADE IN THE HISTORY OF WORK CARS! it's only saving grace is it red lines a little over 7k rpms.. it needs to rev that high to make power! POS!

MOPAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I can’t compare it to the EcoDiesel, I haven’t driven one. I can only compare directly to the other Ford offerings, as principles and experience dictate I will likely be a Ford guy for life. Numbers wise, I think the PS only has 10 more HP than the ED (unfortunate abbreviation warning). I just completed a 1200 mile tow with the boat however, and the 50 more lb-ft of torque over the 5.0 was noticeable and the quieter ride is too. My 5.0 in tow/haul mode pretty much NEVER ran in 10th gear, this one does. Returned 2mpg better towing numbers too 13 vs 11. That was the same exact trip last year, the PS might have done better but it was substantially cooler this year.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh I love dodge! You havent drive a good v8 untill u have been behind one of the hemi engines and gradually add power! Drove a charger with one for work for years.... I loved it when u changed lanes to pass some one and didnt just stand on it but gave it some gas.... that thing didnt do the whimpy 10speed automatic and drop 4 gears to get up the juice to accelerate.... that 5.7 would just dig deep in the gear it was in and start this loud low growl sound as the torque came on and it slammed u back in the seat and all of a sudden everything outside the vehicle started to stretch like the enterprise jumping to warp!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I drive a freaking ford tarus with a v6 6 and a shit ton of gears in the transmission to make up for the loss of power!.. its THE WORST WORK CAR EVER MADE IN THE HISTORY OF WORK CARS! it's only saving grace is it red lines a little over 7k rpms.. it needs to rev that high to make power! POS!

MOPAR!!!!!!!!!!!
So... my wife has continually been spoiled every vehicle has had something new or "better" she now drives a grand cherokee overland that has a 5.7 hemi in it.. thing moves and she loves it... only thing she wishes she had was 4x4. We will get that on my next truck.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

MOPAR!!!!!!!!!!!
I had a '18 392 with the 6.4 for a year. That thing was a monster that needed a lot of respect even in the best of conditions. With the nannies off it would go sideways at 45 with too much right pedal!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So... my wife has continually been spoiled every vehicle has had something new or "better" she now drives a grand cherokee overland that has a 5.7 hemi in it.. thing moves and she loves it... only thing she wishes she had was 4x4. We will get that on my next truck.
They make that Jeep in a 2wd version? I wouldn't have guessed that in 100tries

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had a 6.0L LS2 powered Trailblazer SS that was that way. Only had a 4spd transmission and 4:10 gears with all wheel drive.

Never had to drop a gear. 70mph on the expressway still had enough torque and revs on tap to pass most others without a downshift. That "dig deep" feel is hard to explain, and very cool.

Buddy had a '15 Durango R/T and we "compared" many times in various situations. The SS would usually get the jump and then it was a dead heat to as fast as we cared to go. Check around for my threads talking about the 'Rango's. I'm a big fan, and the 5.7/8spd combo is a big part of that.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Had a 6.0L LS2 powered Trailblazer SS that was that way. Only had a 4spd transmission and 4:10 gears with all wheel drive.

Never had to drop a gear. 70mph on the expressway still had enough torque and revs on tap to pass most others without a downshift. That "dig deep" feel is hard to explain, and very cool.

Buddy had a '15 Durango R/T and we "compared" many times in various situations. The SS would usually get the jump and then it was a dead heat to as fast as we cared to go. Check around for my threads talking about the 'Rango's. I'm a big fan, and the 5.7/8spd combo is a big part of that.
That new SRT Durango tho... *drool*

JWExperience

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

MOPAR!!!!!!!!!!!
Nothing was better than the Crown Vic! I work in a city and we switched our fleet over to Chargers after the Vic. Long story short, we went back to Ford because the Dodges were too expensive to fix and failed all the time. The troopers in the area still use them because they have “easy” highway miles vs. our punishing city streets;). I also own a Ram with 5.7 and it’s nice but the build quality is not Ford or Toyota. I’ve had to fix stupid little things with this Ram regularly unlike my previously owned vehicles. The EB may have its issues but the hemis are also known to randomly eat cams and grenade engines. Nothing is perfect but Tundra is closest I’ve found, prob could have changed the oil and welded the hood shut.

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
EcoBoom is quite common. Just search the truck forum. Turbo are not and never will be made for the average turn key drivers no matter how they try to make them be. My buddy has a 17 F150 and its never towed anything but he jumps in, turns it on and goes. Engine lasted to 17k before it blew. I have a 2015 Mustang with the 2.3L turbo. Nice car but I wouldn't jump into it in freezing temps and hammer on it even though I see many people do it. Its a shame because they are nice trucks and when they run it goes well with good gas mileage.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nothing was better than the Crown Vic! I work in a city and we switched our fleet over to Chargers after the Vic. Long story short, we went back to Ford because the Dodges were too expensive to fix and failed all the time. The troopers in the area still use them because they have “easy” highway miles vs. our punishing city streets;). I also own a Ram with 5.7 and it’s nice but the build quality is not Ford or Toyota. I’ve had to fix stupid little things with this Ram regularly unlike my previously owned vehicles. The EB may have its issues but the hemis are also known to randomly eat cams and grenade engines. Nothing is perfect but Tundra is closest I’ve found, prob could have changed the oil and welded the hood shut.
Funny.... the vic 4.6 litter was bumper proof engine but so underpowered... I loved it... a vic u have to drive it... not traction control, no stability control... the new guys dont get the benefit of learning on the vic... however, more expensive or not, the charger out performed the vic in absolutely every aspect of the job and was soooooo much more fun to drive. Well. Except room.... more room in the vic.

I had a dog so I had an older. Ic while everyone else got the shiny new ones. We traded at the time at about 90 k miles. Mine had like 160k .... but off the line I would drag the new cars till about 80 mph... smoking out on side.. after that they could pass me... but was a fun time.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They make that Jeep in a 2wd version? I wouldn't have guessed that in 100tries
Yes... she was trying to move trailer out of side yard morning we were leaving for trip last spring. It had rained for 2 or 3 days prior and she had to back down over area we had trees removed.

Needless to say the hole from those made her jeep useless.