• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

UPDATE: F150 EcoBoost Blew Up on Saturday

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The folks in here bashing the 3.5 Ecoboost, but raving about a 5.7 HEMI are sadly misinformed about engine reliability and power.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The folks in here bashing the 3.5 Ecoboost, but raving about a 5.7 HEMI are sadly misinformed about engine reliability and power.
Laughs in :Chevy 6.0:
;)

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Laughs in :Chevy 6.0:
;)
Pretty irrelevant to what I said.

But, since 2006 I have worked at a Ford dealer for 11 years and a Chrysler dealer for the other 3 years. All in the service dept as a service advisor or service manager. Pretty good grasp on repairs made on both the Hemi and EB.

I don't have much to say about the Chevy 6.0. Unlike so many others on forums and social media, I try not to talk about things I don't actually have knowledge about.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

But, since 2006 I have worked at a Ford dealer for 11 years and a Chrysler dealer for the other 3 years. All in the service dept as a service advisor or service manager. Pretty good grasp on repairs made on both the Hemi and EB.

I don't have much to say about the Chevy 6.0. Unlike so many others on forums and social media, I try not to talk about things I don't actually have knowledge about.
Lighten up Francis, it was a joke.

waternutt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Curious what are the issues with HEMI? I have driven a Ram 1500 with the HEMI for 7.5 years with no issues.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Lighten up Francis, it was a joke.
Man, I'm good! Just find it funny.

PS... Plenty of 6.0s have been gapped by this ol' Ecoboost of mine!

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Curious what are the issues with HEMI? I have driven a Ram 1500 with the HEMI for 7.5 years with no issues.
Lifters failing and destroying the cam. It's a daily thing here. The good news is, it's never a catastrophic failure, just a very expensive repair!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Love the hemi.... best v8 I have ever been behind to date! And I have an 05 durango with the hemi... zero issues. The one I had at work was a brand new 12 charger.... had some issues with the steering pump... think it is electric. Replaced and then it was fine! I have had more issues with the v6 from dodge than I have the hemi... but I am not in a place where all you see is the damaged and messed up ones. Kinda like I thought I lived in a nice quiet little town until I got into law enforcement and realized it is a crap hole!..... it's all a matter of what u are exposed to.... I would buy another hemi everytime if I could!

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Love the hemi.... best v8 I have ever been behind to date! And I have an 05 durango with the hemi... zero issues. The one I had at work was a brand new 12 charger.... had some issues with the steering pump... think it is electric. Replaced and then it was fine! I have had more issues with the v6 from dodge than I have the hemi... but I am not in a place where all you see is the damaged and messed up ones. Kinda like I thought I lived in a nice quiet little town until I got into law enforcement and realized it is a crap hole!..... it's all a matter of what u are exposed to.... I would buy another hemi everytime if I could!
The 3.6 V6 definitely has some major cam/lifter issues as well. But, it is an OHC motor and it is a much cheaper repair when they fail.

PS - Thanks for your service in Law Enforcement. My brother has worked with the York County Sheriff's Office for 15 years. Definitely a tough job that doesn't get enough thanks from the media and community!

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What about the 6.2 in the GMC. That's what I would get if I needed a truck. 2020 AT4 with the 6.2L and a ten speed - BOOM

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about the 6.2 in the GMC. That's what I would get if I needed a truck. 2020 AT4 with the 6.2L and a ten speed - BOOM
Biggest issue with the modern LS engines in the truck platforms are lifters. They typically don't destroy the cam, or otherwise hurt the motor when they fail, but they just simply lose pressure and don't open the valves anymore. This is usually from too long of an oil change interval (DO NOT trust the service life remaining on the instrument panel), or otherwise poor maintenance. The displacement on demand feature of the engine relies on dropping pressure to the lifters to deactivate a cylinder, and this system gets "gummed up" and stops working. Many people disable this feature VERY quickly after purchase, with the only downside really being reduced fuel mileage.

I've got 97k on my 5.3L and the DoD is still working fine. Knock on wood. I change pretty religiously at 5k intervals though, with DEXOS approved oils.

The 8 and 10 speed transmissions are not great from what I understand. Neighbor has had his '19 in the shop twice for transmission issues. Once was a "full reset" to the trans computers, the second was a replacement of the trans computers. He's got ~45k miles on it at this point, but uses it heavily as a construction foreman for "large scale" civil construction projects. He's going back to a Duramax/Allison combo on his his next one he says.

The 6.2 returns very respectable mileage considering the power output. 420hp and 450ft-lbs from a gas "small block" is pretty impressive. I've seen reports of 21-22mpg on the expressway unloaded as well. I just got a few 18-19mpg tanks from my 5.3L on a 12.5hr trip to NE from southern IN. So the fuel mileage penalty isn't bad considering the extra power you get. It does REQUIRE premium fuel though. I already run premium in my 5.3 so no big deal for me, but to some it's sacrilege to run premium in a pickup.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
but to some it's sacrilege to run premium in a pickup.
Not so much sacrilege, but premium fuel costs 20-30% more these days. Certainly not getting that return in performance or economy. When you're refueling 30 gallons at a time, that extra $18-20 adds up.

Well, not now it doesn't, lol. I've put fuel in my truck once in two months. Guess I'll have to refuel this weekend.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 3.6 V6 definitely has some major cam/lifter issues as well. But, it is an OHC motor and it is a much cheaper repair when they fail.

PS - Thanks for your service in Law Enforcement. My brother has worked with the York County Sheriff's Office for 15 years. Definitely a tough job that doesn't get enough thanks from the media and community!
Thank you for that and bless your brother... hopefully retirement comes soon... I still have 9 years.

We also have a 2012 with the 3.6 v6. At about 92k we had the dreaded passengerside head failure where I think an exhaust spring breaks and u loose a cylinder. At 90 plus thousand miles dodge fixed it under warranty and got us a rental car for 4 days. No charge!... at about 145000 miles the alternator went out.... it happens. Dodge happen to have a recall. I towed it to the dealership and they fixed it free of charge. After the alternator went out the computer was messed up from a voltage spike... they replaced that free of charge ....

I simply can not complain about dodge. We have had a few issues with the 2012 but even as old and as many miles as it had they have not given us one bit of problem!...

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Would you buy another Ecoboost of that era? I'm looking for Expeditions, preferably a '15-17 to be within our budget but threads like this make me reconsider and possibly buy something older to stick with the V8. I don't really care about mpg but prefer the added power, looks and tech of the '15-17 models. 18+ is out of our budget.

John83

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a 2013 Eco Boost and loved it until I towed my son and his car back to Fort Bragg, NC [long story short]. We ran into rain and the turbos picked up rain water and shut down. I traded it almost immediately upon making it back home. Went to a GMC Sierra Denali, HATED IT! Will never buy another GM product. I now have a 2018 Ecoboost and love it! It was reengineered ( so ford told me). Pulls my boat like it’s not there. I have been a Ford guy for a while, but when I trade again I am going to look at the Ram as well.
In rare incidents rain water and the altitude your driving at will shut down the engine,not the first time I've came across people talking about it. Also be careful with plastic oil pans,giving many people consistent oil leaks after oil changes.

scottrus71

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I now have a 2018 Ecoboost and love it! It was reengineered ( so ford told me). Pulls my boat like it’s not there.
That's what I have... 2018 EcoBoost. This is my first pickup and will be my first experience towing something as large as a boat. Looking forward to seeing how it handles... and how well I do. :D

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I’ve heard a lot of the early Hemi’s have main bearing issues, mainly 2005-2010 ish? I can attest to the reliability of the Ford 10 speed, put 95,000 on my last one. The shifting is a bit wonky to be honest but never a problem. As I mentioned somewhat early my money won’t buy anything but a Ford from here out after over 250,000 trouble free miles.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's what I have... 2018 EcoBoost. This is my first pickup and will be my first experience towing something as large as a boat. Looking forward to seeing how it handles... and how well I do. :D
You'll do fine.... easy on the gas and early on the brake. Let everyone else driving be the idiot!