• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What are you seeing in Dealer prep costs

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
According to one dealer I spoke with, freight is already covered by Yamaha. According to him, they were just piling on a charges for both freight and prep, which he described as "part of doing business".
Yes I have heard the same thing from multiple sources, but some dealers will argue with you that is not the case.

ken4motion

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Here's a clip from my 2/27/21 sales invoice on the 252SE w/ galvanized trailer...

Included coast guard kit, anchor, shipping cover and premium mooring cover.

20210912_154125.jpg

Txbred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Here's a clip from my 2/27/21 sales invoice on the 252SE w/ galvanized trailer...

Included coast guard kit, anchor, shipping cover and premium mooring cover.

View attachment 163262
Wow, I got a quote for a 22' 252se 96k. Ridiculous. But what am I going do🤨

42superman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2022 AR250

MSRP listed at $66,449
Freight & Prep $3,785.63
Other Fees $2,445.90
Sales Tax $4,427.55

OTD $77,108.08

Probably not the best deal but tired of waiting.

Ride Now Powersports Jacksonville Florida

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2022 AR250

MSRP listed at $66,449
Freight & Prep $3,785.63
Other Fees $2,445.90
Sales Tax $4,427.55

OTD $77,108.08

Probably not the best deal but tired of waiting.

Ride Now Powersports Jacksonville Florida

Why not buy a used one with low hours and save 12k ++ ??? No difference in models in the years for the AR250, except color. And take a road trip to pick one up. I have seen at least a couple as well on face book marketplace of the AR250's in the low to mid 60's. $77k OTD + Mooring cover, etc. Is a bit much, IMHO. Boating season is over in Michigan for most - Even though I am holding out for some fishing - and Yamaha's are going up for sale, as well as other boats, now daily creating downward pressure on used boat prices.

Boat - REDUCED MI 2021 AR250 30 Hrs 66.5k | JetBoaters.net - The World's Largest Jet Boat Forum!

(8) Marketplace - Yamaha AR250 | Facebook

Last edited:

orionone

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Good or bad deal? Room to negotiate?

2022 212SE:
Freight $2750
Prep $1000
Doc Fee $330

Is it normal to be taxed on freight/prep/docs?

Total with tax ~73K

Skierdad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Its a catch 22 in my opinion. Mine was $2800 on my AR. If I went out of state to "get a better deal", then they screw me when I need service work done or warranty work.

First question out of every boat dealer where I live is...."where did you buy the boat?" It could mean the difference between getting your boat fixed in 2 days or it sitting in their back lot for 3 weeks.

Having 20 Chevrolet dealerships in your state versus 1 Yamaha boat dealer in your state.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its a catch 22 in my opinion. Mine was $2800 on my AR. If I went out of state to "get a better deal", then they screw me when I need service work done or warranty work.

First question out of every boat dealer where I live is...."where did you buy the boat?" It could mean the difference between getting your boat fixed in 2 days or it sitting in their back lot for 3 weeks.

Having 20 Chevrolet dealerships in your state versus 1 Yamaha boat dealer in your state.
That is a very valid point that others should take into account when purchasing out of state, which may be often overlooked in a quest to get the absolute best deal. There is an realized cost to not being able to get serviced when you need to and being put behind those whom have purchased at the closer dealership. Each individual needs to determine what that is to themselves.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good or bad deal? Room to negotiate?

2022 212SE:
Freight $2750
Prep $1000
Doc Fee $330

Is it normal to be taxed on freight/prep/docs?

Total with tax ~73K
Not sure if they are going to negotiate with you right now. I have seen much worse deals. Actually it appears decent. Also, and I have confirmed it with a dealer, Yamaha doesn't charge freight to the dealer. The dealer is just slopping that on and it will go to them. You will probably not get them to admit it of course.

As far as taxing on the freight I am unsure.

Skierdad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Has anyone asked and gotten a list of what's included with dealer prep?
I am pretty sure you will never see that list. If I had to build a list, I imagine it would look like this....

1. Semi pulling into dealership
2. 5 sales guys standing in parking lot looking at semi (hours/commission rate)
3. 5 sales guys standing in parking lot watching fork lift operator
4. 5 sales guys pulling travel covers off boats
5. 5 sales guys watching some 16 yr old wash and detail the boats

All laughter aside, I am sure they are trying to justify unloading, detailing them, and having service do a 15 minute inspection on them.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
For freight, assembly and dealer fees we paid $4,750 on our 2022 255 XD