• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What are you seeing in Dealer prep costs

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Holy crap!,13%APR🤢
That is why they want that down stroke. Credit is shot most likely or a recent BK or Foreclosure. Hey, more power to them. If they can afford it and they want a boat.

Tham12005

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is the freight charge have anything to do with actual freight charges, or just whatever the dealer sets it at to make their profit?

JoeMitchem

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Is the freight charge have anything to do with actual freight charges, or just whatever the dealer sets it at to make their profit?
There are definitely fixed freight charges from Yamaha but I'm not sure that anyone knows exactly what they are. This has definitely become an area that dealers keep padding more and more and now its reaching levels of insanity.

My dealer charged me $2195 freight and prep when I bought my 242x 4 years ago and they are charging the same for my 252xd whenever it shows up. Thankfully they haven't jumped on the bandwagon of overcharging for freight.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I had asked a similar question, maybe earlier in this thread or another one. Are freight charges fixed at either a flat or regional rate? I would think that several boats (depending) on the size could be shipped on a single trailer?

Jim

4ukwildcata

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
totally agree. I talked to the dealer in Coeur d'Alene and was told, "every boat we get is a mess when it arrives and has to be sent out to have the gel coat redone" and "Yamaha rarely reimburses them for it". Was also told that "they have to pay to store the boats as no one wants to pick up their boat in the winter..."

So, basically, what they are saying is that my brand new, never used boat will be damaged in transit and my brand new boat will have to be sent out to get fixed and (get this), before I even take delivery of it, I have to pay to have it repaired. Can you even get your mind around that. LOL

Wow! Hopefully I misread your post. Are you saying you had damage to your boat and they want you to pay full price AND pay for the repair of the boat in addition?

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
210 FSH Sport to Canada:
delivery = $3500 ($2770 USD)
prep = $1500 ($1180 USD)

1969mach1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Crownline
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow! Hopefully I misread your post. Are you saying you had damage to your boat and they want you to pay full price AND pay for the repair of the boat in addition?
Not exactly. you can read the whole thread and it will make more sense. The cliff notes version: Dealer wanted to charge me $7700 for frieght and Prep with prep being $5500. I ask them why prep would be so high and they said that every boat comes in damaged and has to have the gel coat redone and Yamaha won't reimburse them most of the time. Hence, I am paying for damage repair by virtue of a $5500 prep without even taking possession of the boat.

I told them to go pound sand and ordered it from another dealer who had ordered the boat as part of their allocation but did not have a customer assigned yet. Freight and shipping total, just under $2000.

pays to shop around.

Dogsluvtrux

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Quoted $1,550 for freight and prep on a SX190 this AM out of St. Louis area

Matt_D

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In July, I paid $499 for dealer prep and $899 for freight charge on my 2021 SX-190 in Waterford, Michigan. Another dealer I called said they don't add those charges at all, but he had no boats and wasn't taking deposits. So I bought from the guys who had a boat. When I put in my deposit, it was for a 2022. They didn't expect to get any more 21's, and then one showed up. Given the price increase for 22's, I feel like I got a good deal.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In July, I paid $499 for dealer prep and $899 for freight charge on my 2021 SX-190 in Waterford, Michigan. Another dealer I called said they don't add those charges at all, but he had no boats and wasn't taking deposits. So I bought from the guys who had a boat. When I put in my deposit, it was for a 2022. They didn't expect to get any more 21's, and then one showed up. Given the price increase for 22's, I feel like I got a good deal.
Wonderland Marine. I bought mine from them a year and a half ago. I personally never had an issue.

Matt_D

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
According to one dealer I spoke with, freight is already covered by Yamaha. According to him, they were just piling on a charges for both freight and prep, which he described as "part of doing business".