• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Where do you draw the line? <shoes & pets>

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No shoes is a pretty good one, unless there are dedicated boat shoes that don't leave the boat. It's really the dirt and such that gets ground into the shoe soles that is the problem, not the shoes themselves. It's pretty much equally bad to have people take off their shoes and then walk around at the ramp area or on the dock before stepping into the boat. for this reason, we always cover the seats that people are going to step in on with a towel before boarding. Chocolate chip cookies are the oher one that is a no-go on our boat, or if they are going to be eaten they don't come out of the container except on the swim deck. Other than that, we don't enforce too many rules of this type as long as people are being careful. I am pretty particular about keeping the boat nice, because I think it is more fun to be on a nice clean boat than a filthy one, but if keeping it spotless gets in the way of the fun....no thanks.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For us it’s always no shoes on the boat!! I don’t allow people to wear shoes standing on my couch at home so I definitely don’t allow it for the boat and nice vinyl.

We’ve taken our dog out once on the boat last year when he was 4-5 months old. He did ok but not great. He eventually settled down but not sure I’d want him on my boat now since he’s much bigger, heavier and more wild lol. Depends on your dog. We used towels on the seats. I was worried about paw prints and dents in the gatorstep/seadek and him ripping my vinyl but everything was ok.
I dont really enjoy having a dog on the boat so we don't bring ours. However, before we ordered our MB we were provided a big pack of vinyl samples so we could make our upholstery decisions. To get a sense of how tough the vinyl would be, I asked and was given permission to try to scratch and tear it using reasonable force. For instance, I pushed the point of a key against it quite hard to simulate somebody sitting on their keys. Did not puncture any of the vinyl samples. I'd wager that unless the boat is sitting out with the sun constantly beating on the vinyl, a dogs nails are pretty unlikely to exert as much force as I did so they probably aren't that likely to tear good quality vinyl. Seadeck, Gatorstep, etc. are a bit of a diferent story. That stuff will get permanent indentations pretty easily. We have several indentations and even a couple of cuts on the Gator on the swim platform from wakeboard fins and such. That is why, despite the fact that I love the look of it, I choose to use removable carpet on the inside flooring instead.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
No lines / No limits - it is a center console.

I keep it very clean, but it is to be enjoyed. We had some friends on board in December, and they thought the boat was new. Everyone was wearing shoes on our way to have lunch on Tybee Island. A little fish blood and black silt stuck to your bare feet from Little Tybee Island - it is all in a day's work for a boat, and I can clean them all off without too much effort.

Last edited:

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For me it’s a few simple things:
1. No shoes in the boat, they come off at the dock and into the in-floor storage then back on the dock when we return.
2. Coming in and out of the boat, absolutely no stepping on cushions (surprised not to see that mentioned here). I’ve seen the cushions seams tear from undue stress of someone standing, jumping, or walking on them.
3. kids not allowed to eat anything inside the boat. They can eat whatever they want on the swim platform (well... maybe not Cheeto, Doritos, ...os). Or we typically roll out the floating mat and they can do whatever the hell they want there.
4. No spray sunscreen. Sit your butt on a towel if you rubbed sunscreen on your body.
5. Yes to pre-washed colored swimsuits and towels.
6. if you got to go No.1 or No.2, can’t help you. You’re on your own in a big body of water 😜

I hand dry the boat after each lake outing and the kids help me too. They are also my helpers pulling the weeds off from under the trailer where I can’t reach. In our state we get a ticket for that if not pulled off.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think anyone or dog can do more damage than a cat that snuck into my boat through a hole in the cover
Apparently sea deck and seat backs make the best cat scratcher evet.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't think anyone or dog can do more damage than a cat that snuck into my boat through a hole in the cover
Apparently sea deck and seat backs make the best cat scratcher evet.
I have a cat and I completely understand [flag]

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used to be crazy about everything but lately I have just been stressing the no shoes rule and I keep eight fresh white bath towels for everyone to sit on and those are the only towels allowed on board. Haven't had any staining issues since adopting the white towel policy. Lol.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I used to be crazy about everything but lately I have just been stressing the no shoes rule and I keep eight fresh white bath towels for everyone to sit on and those are the only towels allowed on board. Haven't had any staining issues since adopting the white towel policy. Lol.
I like that! Great idea!

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One thing I haven’t seen anyone mention is smoking. I enjoy a cigar with my bourbon now and then, kind of debating how to handle that, because while I trust myself to be careful, that might be opening a door for trouble.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
One thing I haven’t seen anyone mention is smoking. I enjoy a cigar with my bourbon now and then, kind of debating how to handle that, because while I trust myself to be careful, that might be opening a door for trouble.
Smoking is not allowed in my work, my house, my car and around me. I don't smoke, most of my friends don't, so therefore most people leave the area or I do. If they must smoke (on the boat) it's in the back on the swim platform. Most can wait. Good question.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Smoke on the swim deck. Smoking while underway is just asking to burn holes in your vinyl, carpet or Seadek floor. Drink responsibly as well if you're out on the water...

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Smoke on the swim deck. Smoking while underway is just asking to burn holes in your vinyl, carpet or Seadek floor. Drink responsibly as well if you're out on the water...
I drink out of a SS straw to protect my teeth. :winkingthumbsup"

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My wife is top of the list of folks that give me the stink-eye when I say lose the shoes at the dock, unless we are headed to a bar/restaurant for dinner. Then shoes go into storage.

I think if anyone gives you a dirty look for asking for No shoes, or no Sunflower seeds, needs to spend an afternoon cleaning the boat with you. They will quickly understand how many seeds never make it over the edge. Or how much sand gets ground into the seats and flooring.

Until then, they will never respect what it takes to clean up.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
this has been a fascinating thread to follow from those who have draconian rules to some like me, 76 years old, who basically have no rules other than safety rules (life jackets for childre, no drinking and driving, then to enjoy one’s day on the water. So my question is when do we lighten up on our rules? I be liege mine began when I retired and had grandchildren on the boat[flag]

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This has been interesting and I'll chime in. Regarding the dog/Seadek concern. (See my profile pic) That dog goes with me more than my wife does. I have a carpet interior which looks great and works out perfectly for the dog. I'm about to purchase Seadek for various areas including the swim platform. While researching, I read a post that suggested keeping your dog's nails not only trimmed, but rounded off. That convinced me to give it a try. We'll see.

I smoke cigars on the platform to avoid accidents on the vinyl. I'm anal about cleaning my boat and I used to be that way about red wine, red colas, cheetos, spray, whatever. Once I realized that my stress of those things not only affected my enjoyment, but also my guests, I decided it wasn't worth it. It truly does make the experience much more relaxing. Just be prepared to clean up, which I enjoy doing anyway.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
1. The mast light pole isnt a grab bar to enter and exit the boat (i cant believe that i had to explain this)
2. Show up on time
3. Bring drinks, snacks, or something.
4. Respect my things and respect my time. See #2.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Everything is washable and repairable on our boats.

I have only a few restrictions (no cleats or high heels) and keep I my dog nails trimmed.

That said, I have never had a problem with having to repair damage from my dogs or guests. Lucky? maybe, but I find most passengers are careful and respectful (expensive boats command that behavior) and kick off their shoes and don't stand on the cushions. My biggest problems are pink or red drinks and bikinis (nothing against bikinis).

I would rather spend my time telling/reinforcing to my passengers where the life jackets and throw cushion are located in case we are boarded by (you know who!)

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Besides the obvious safety concerns such as life jackets, etc., my only strict rule is no shoes. I’ve had several people on my boat who aren’t used to being on boats and one of them left a nice scratch on a cushion from their shoe, probably a pebble stuck in there. It happens. I wasn’t upset but now I tell everyone at the dock beforehand.

nf22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My boat is on a jet dock, so when people enter, they have to climb up 4 steps to enter the bow. Therefore, I keep some crocs by the steps to give people the hint, otherwise, I just put a towel down on the bow seats to avoid the dirt. I gave my kids the job of telling their friends to take off their shoes. My 12 year old son does a great job, my 15 year old daughter doesnt give a crap. Otherwise, I am fairly relaxed about everything else, although in June when the boat was brand spankin new, I was a bit anal & I had to let it go for the most part. And Yes, by August, my family had our 40lb Golden Doodle on the boat for swims off of the swim dock in the middle of the lake, he doesnt shed so all good and made amazing family memories and photo's this past August.

I do clean the interior every morning & exterior with Boat Juice. The bugs are annoying but easy to get rid of in the interior and the exterior shines like a brand new boat thanks to the Jet Dock and Boat Juice.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Boat shoes, water shoes or barefoot. And good dogs are always welcome.

20170622_151546.jpg

20170622_222026.jpg