• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Where's the speed?

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know you have only had the boat out a few times, but have you ever sucked up any rocks or dirt close to the shore? Check your impeller blades to make sure they are not dinged up, that will cause you to lose speed as well.
Just read this and impellers/pumps was the first thing I was thinking.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
It could be that his boat just needs some more break in time. How many hours are on it now?
I was wondering about the hours as well, if it is "new" it could well be that it just needs broke in..

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Different engines but on my 1800 engines , they were disappointingly slow until I had about 10 hours on them, then they ran way better at top end.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yep, vote is for more running.....

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I only have 3 hours of running on them. If everyone insists that I run the boat more, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get some more hours put on:winkingthumbsup"

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep run it !!!! And some days it seams like mine goes faster then some days she seams slower !!! Just have fun and it's all good !!!

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tell the wife that all the time !!!!

jetboat623

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Most days thats as fast as mine will go. Ive only seen mid 40's like they show on boat test once when i first got it. The SX really lacks top end speed. Tons of low end power for wake boarding and tubbing (what we spend more our time doing).

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Move the people out of the bow seats too. Have everyone sit in the back if you are making at top speed run.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just read this and impellers/pumps was the first thing I was thinking.
Didn't somebody, somewhere, somehow, get a boat with mixed up impellers? Or did I read that on another site?

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Didn't somebody, somewhere, somehow, get a boat with mixed up impellers? Or did I read that on another site?
Has happened more than once. Those posts are usually titled "boat pulls left".

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MNdrifter .. how clean is your hull?.. I know a fuzzy hull will cut performance something terrible. Do you trailer it or store in a slip?

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, and you did, swapped L for R..... just for fun on a bad Monday at the plant probably.... probably just mixed up the shaft/impeller assemblies on the way to happy hour....

Johmas50

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have a 2012 SX210 and this seems about right to me for both RPMs and speed. I mostly see about 38 on Navionics, the speedometer shows slightly higher, but I don't trust it. My lake is at about 1000 feet elevation. I have seen a little higher speed at times, most likely due to less fuel weight/bimini up or down, etc.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I second the, break in or something up with the impellers or pumps. I'm on Lake Zumbro a lot during the summer and in the spring there is a lot of floating debris that gets dumped in from the Zumbro River after the many spring showers. I try to go wakeboarding and surfing every Monday on Lake Zumbro during the summer. I call it wakeboarding league night :)

Can you guess where my sig picture was taken?

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The hull is spotless. It has only been in the water a total of 4 hours.

@jetboater4life That fence looks like the one at Fisherman's Inn. Of course if you are going to have a quiz you should rename your photo file:facepalm: Turns out our offices are in the same building, although I spend all my time in the 050-1 lab. A friend in 040-2 just took delivery of an SX190. That makes 3 Yamaha owners in the same building.

Last edited:

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@MNdriver Ah! you got me, guess I need to me more clever in my quizes and photo names. 3 yamaha jet boaters in the same building, pretty cool. Make sure that the SX190 owner registers for jetboaters.net. We should have a yammie day out on Lake Zumbro. Need to move that to the destinations forum.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hijacking to ask a question..I see many people saying they are at 8,000rpm's. I have a SX190 with the 1.8 and max out at 7,200rpms's. Shouldn't the engines all have the same rpm range? i Max out at 42mph which is spec.