• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Who knows about Fort Collins CO??

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have a possible job opportunity there. From my initial research it looks like a pretty nice place. I see a resevoir with a boat wakboarding in it. So that satisfys my boating needs.

I dont like that I cant get to a beach like I can here in MD. But career comes first!

Does anyone have any input on this area/state?

I know its left leaning, which is a problem for me. But I need to dig into the details to find out what laws would really bother me.

Thanks for any input!!

I went to college at CSU for two years. If you PM me I can give you all the details you could want.

It is 2,094 miles from Fort Lauderdale. Seems like a problem to me!

It is 2,094 miles from Fort Lauderdale. Seems like a problem to me!

Ha! Yes that IS a problem.

I've been doing some research.. Did you know that a bunch of counties voted to succeed from CO, which would have made them a 51st state last year??

These regional differences experienced a boiling point in 2013, when several of Colorado's northwestern counties put forth ballot measures designed to initiate secession from the state following the passage of several laws by the state legislature, including expanded background checks for gun purchases, magazine capacity limits on firearms, and a new quota on renewable energy production. The ballot measure was successful in Washington, Yuma, Phillips, Kit Carson, and Cheyenne County with a combined population of around 30,000, but was unsuccessful in Logan, Elbert, Lincoln, Sedgwick, Moffat, and Weld County, which alone was more than twice as populous as all other voting counties combined. This act of secession, which would have created a 51st state, would have required approval by the state legislature, the governor, as well as congress and the President.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Colorado

Move to Arizona, you will find plenty of like minded folks here and a lot of great lakes to boat on.

I love Arizona! (Except that my nose bled everyday that I was there) I took a 4 wheeler tour through the mountains for a couple hours. It was awesome!

I know that you have Havaseau there, and that is definitely appealing.
@RobA, what do you do that requires a move to Colorado?

It is a beautiful state but due to similar political views I would not want to live there.

Magpul is leaving the state - Magpul to depart for Texas, Wyoming in 2014 - The Denver Post

The state seems to have more political turmoil than most - Colorado recall election, 2013 - Wikipedia, the free ...

Looking at Google Maps Fort Collins appears to be surrounded by small reservoirs. Hopefully there is a reasonably sized lake nearby.

Thanks @Bruce! It's an Industrial Engineering position for a wafer manufacturer. The politics do scare me, but there seems to be a bunch of positives too.

I have a feeling its going to come down to a visit there.

It's a beautiful state and I LOVE craft beer of which they have TONS but the politics would keep me from moving there. Awesome place to visit, I go there about once a year to take a certification class for work. 3 certs actually but at least one is due every year. and my wife usually comes with me. Sometimes we stay in Boulder, sometimes Longmont, sometimes Loveland which is near fort Collins. And New Belgium Brewery is in fort Collins and probably the only place that could hire me and get me to move there. Take their tour and you'll see why.

It's a beautiful state and I LOVE craft beer of which they have TONS but the politics would keep me from moving there. Awesome place to visit, I go there about once a year to take a certification class for work. 3 certs actually but at least one is due every year. and my wife usually comes with me. Sometimes we stay in Boulder, sometimes Longmont, sometimes Loveland which is near fort Collins. And New Belgium Brewery is in fort Collins and probably the only place that could hire me and get me to move there. Take their tour and you'll see why.

Interesting to see the weight of politics and location. I'm in the very early stages of the application process, but the position could really advance my career and pay, so I will have to weigh all of that.

Do you work for Shasta? A really good friend of mine just retired from the cannery in Baltimore from shift manager. I took a tour of the place. Cool stuff! They were working on a bunch of the Rip It's that they ship to the military bases. Who knew, our soldiers can drink as many energy drinks as they want!

Here is one I got from the plant that was un-assembled. I use it as a change keeper in my desk. (Only the military can get these size Rip it's)

photo.JPG

It is disgusting how many people drink 3 or 4 of those a day out here. The Army is all about energy drinks.

Wow...I work as a contractor for the Navy and travel to bases all over the world. Apparently the Navy doesn't believe in those, I've never seen one but they drink the hell out of monster....(of course they have to buy them). I got out of the Army in the 90's ...apparently it's changed a little.

Wow...I work as a contractor for the Navy and travel to bases all over the world. Apparently the Navy doesn't believe in those, I've never seen one but they drink the hell out of monster....(of course they have to buy them). I got out of the Army in the 90's ...apparently it's changed a little.

Wow I was way off! haha

Ft. Collins is a superb city. CSU is a very good university. I am packing up to go to Glendo Reservoir in Wyoming about 3 hours north of Ft. Collins tonight. 4 days of fun in the sun and water!. Glendo is great for boating for this area. 20 miles long, a 2 mile long Sandy Beach, great camping and can almost always find a calm spot for water sports. Horsetooth is right by Ft. Collins, smaller and would assume it gets busy on the weekends. You may need to re-pitch the impellers for altitude.

Not sure what all the political concern is about - specifically. I grew up in Cheyenne, Wyoming, went to CSU and now live in Avon, Colorado where I am involved politically. The reservoirs, not too many lakes, are smaller around here than what I perceive are available in other areas.

You would have an amazing mix of University lead events and culture, mixed with the great outdoors and craft beer. Looks like you are from Baltimore, if so, you will be blown away by the summers here. Warm, little humidity, not too many insects. All of this is a hard combo to beat.

Not sure how the whole PM thing works, but if I can be of some further assistance let me know.

@jollyroger Good to see another Ram on the forum. I wish I would of stayed but I had a little to much fun and needed to get my grades right if I wanted to be a pilot. I also have to say that Fort Collins is not all the political as other parts of Colorado (Boulder). Fort Collins is a mix of farmers and Colorado residents who are less liberal....

Interesting to see the weight of politics and location. I'm in the very early stages of the application process, but the position could really advance my career and pay, so I will have to weigh all of that.

Do you work for Shasta? A really good friend of mine just retired from the cannery in Baltimore from shift manager. I took a tour of the place. Cool stuff! They were working on a bunch of the Rip It's that they ship to the military bases. Who knew, our soldiers can drink as many energy drinks as they want!

Here is one I got from the plant that was un-assembled. I use it as a change keeper in my desk. (Only the military can get these size Rip it's)

View attachment 9356
It's rediculous how many of those things get drank in deployed locations, I was amazed the last time I deployed that those were free all over base, as many as you wanted...of course there was a "Rip-It" challenge every now and then in the shop, the best one I saw was one guy drank 13 in just a few minutes, the other guy drank 9...they were both vomiting a few minutes later.

liquid courage

Thanks everyone for the information!!

Regarding the water temp in the reservoir... what kind of temps are we looking at? In the google maps sat pictures I see someone wakeboarding, I guess they have a wetsuit on?

I love the craft beer part of it and the entertainment part too. I'm glad that there havent been any stay away type messages, so this is promising. I'll keep you guys updated on my decision.

When we left DC, we did two years in an RV checking out the places we might be interested in moving to. Colorado ended up being my choice, but the wife won, so we ended up in Florida. I've been to CO several times over the years and absolutely love it. Loveland, Golden, Boulder or Denver would all work for me, although the traffic in Denver was a bit of pain.... mostly due to poor road planning.

I'm a Jeep owner and a motorcyclist. Can't ask for much better than CO for those. Trails everywhere, awesome mountain riding, excellent weather when it's not snowing. :) Political leanings wasn't enough to sway me... I think how I think regardless of how the rest of the state votes. Yeah, they're a little odd in some of their regulations, but nothing I can't survive. Excellent beer and restaurant choices everywhere we looked and I could pretty much explore forever. :)

Back