• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Who would be interested in a group buy on impellers?

Scotth

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is a group buy still in the works? Looking to do mine in next 2-6 weeks. Still researching OEM vs. Solas etc. Some places I read "it's the best value upgrade you can do" and others "stick with OEM"...confused at this point. My 06' 210Sx has dropped to 40mph. I did plugs first and gained 2-3mph at sea level to 42/43 with 3/4 tank and 4 of us. Thinking I'll gain 5mph after fixing. Here's pics, noticeable damage! Must be making a diff, right?

Attachments

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is a group buy still in the works? Looking to do mine in next 2-6 weeks. Still researching OEM vs. Solas etc. Some places I read "it's the best value upgrade you can do" and others "stick with OEM"...confused at this point. My 06' 210Sx has dropped to 40mph. I did plugs first and gained 2-3mph at sea level to 42/43 with 3/4 tank and 4 of us. Thinking I'll gain 5mph after fixing. Here's pics, noticeable damage! Must be making a diff, right?
Your impellers certainly need work.

Whether you have them rebuilt for $100 a piece or replace with Solas you should see a performance improvement.

I plan to ask the impeller vendors if they are interested again in mid October.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I did my impellers I ordered them from Amazon, price was good. then the next winter removed and sent to Impros for a repitch.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I did my impellers I ordered them from Amazon, price was good. then the next winter removed and sent to Impros for a repitch.
Were these for your 240? How was the performance changed from stock to Solas to Solas with repitching?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here's pics, noticeable damage! Must be making a diff, right?
@Scotth on my 06SX210 the port impeller was looking a bit rough like one of yours. I had it refurbished by Impros three years ago hoping it would help speed and solve an rpm split I see on the tachs at WOT. The refurb looked (and still looks) fantastic but there was not a noticeable performance difference or RPM change. I am happy knowing it looks like new now. Your other side does not look very bad. I would at least refurb the one and see as it is cheap to do. It looks a bit worse than mine did. Do you get cavitation on that side?

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If part of this group buy includes tools for changing impellers, I would be in on the tools. I have 2 sets of impellers already. 1 for Lake Powell (3500') and 1 for not lake powell (6558'). :)

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If part of this group buy includes tools for changing impellers, I would be in on the tools. I have 2 sets of impellers already. 1 for Lake Powell (3500') and 1 for not lake powell (6558'). :)
You need to just buy new shafts to mount the other impellers on and then it just a easy pull the entire shaft and stick the other shaft with the impeller already on it in instead of having to use the impeller tool and risk it having it froze or stripping it.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce Yes I have a 2010 AR240

I did a full write up at one point, link is bellow. Also info on other website.

If I was to do it again I think I would just get solas and put them in. Boat had great low end for surfing and never any cavitation. Still went 46mph.

Currently with the solas and repitched (port twice) I feel as if I get slight cavitation or a frothy jet with weight when surfing. But still much better than stock.

Also when going to the solas I did not get anymore impeller banging when boat out of water, so you guys may not need new pump housing.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/solas-impellers-before-and-after-impros-pitch-adjust.922/

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@sysinu @Scottintexas
You would need shaft, rear housing, cone, and bearings. You dont want to mess with pressing the shaft out every time, probably easier to unscrew impeller (neverseize helps)

Would make super easy 30 minute impeller change with shaft and bearing preassembled. Ideal for backup set, but expensive, unless you can find used from wrecked boat.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also the solas cones can become difficult, very small allen screws which strip out easily. If ordering parts I would order a few extra cones for just in case.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I emailed Impros to ask if they would consider a group buy over the winter. I will be back in touch as soon as I hear from them.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You need to just buy new shafts to mount the other impellers on and then it just a easy pull the entire shaft and stick the other shaft with the impeller already on it in instead of having to use the impeller tool and risk it having it froze or stripping it.
This is a GREAT idea. I totally didn't think about that and now it's very obvious that is the best way for me.

@sysinu @Scottintexas
You would need shaft, rear housing, cone, and bearings. You dont want to mess with pressing the shaft out every time, probably easier to unscrew impeller (neverseize helps)

Would make super easy 30 minute impeller change with shaft and bearing preassembled. Ideal for backup set, but expensive, unless you can find used from wrecked boat.
Doesn't the impeller and shaft just slide in and then all that stuff goes onto the impeller? I'm going to need to go and look at the parts list... pretty much what I do is take my boat to LP just after taking it out of winter storage, then it goes up to 6558' altitude for the rest of the season, with (usually, not this year though) one last trip to LP in September or October. Switching it 1.5 times a year, do you think I'd still need all the rest of that stuff beyond just the shaft?

edit: sorry for the mild hijack.

double edit: youtube answered my question and validated @dan144k 's comment. It looks like I would need everything between the cap and the impeller + the shaft to make the swap easy.

I'll just buy a spline tool and one of those super long wrenches.

Last edited:

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
P1010463.JPG I have a spline tool if anyone wants to use it. We're moving in the near future so its likely i'll misplace it anyway, if I havent already. They arent expensive so might be more effort to mail it out than its worth, but the offer is out there anyway.

Changing the shaft would require a press to remove/install the bearings. The shafts are over $300 I think. You should never need to replace one.

Approach the impeller changing job with plenty of time, patience, beer, and muscle... and access to large breaker bars, wrenches, torches and bench vises. It can be a real bitch, and other times its cake. The dealer couldnt even do it, they gave up after breaking their workbench and vise. Believe it or not I was able to reuse the shaft that this impeller came off of!

I used Impros and wouldnt do it any other way. They custom pitched the impellers based on what I wanted using their proprietary methods and I couldnt be happier.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@motorboater Just an FYI.
I was able to change the shaft without changing the bearings. I just installed a new shaft, new impeller, and new seals.
I don't know if it is possible to change the shaft with the impeller installed, it would seam difficult to me.

Another crazy idea; I have considered is removing and then reinstalling my impellers annually, just to keep the threads from freezing or seizeing up, and then reinstalling with neverseize.

Some older boats which have never had the impeller removed off the shaft, I would imagine may be a pain and very dificult. Guessing

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looking at impellers and wear rings, is this still an option? Group Buy?

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Me too!