• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wiring and Battery Addition

Tex72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also initially installed the single circuit 1/2/both/off battery switch but recently switched to the dual circuit on/off. Just be very careful not to switch thru the off position, especially if the motors are on, but even with it off to be safe. Switch thru the both position instead to avoid voltage spikes. I fried two connext screens on my boat with the single circuit switch. One time was switching from 1 to 2 thru off while it was charging with boat off and that was enough to fried the screen.
Thanks for the heads up.
I plan on installing the Perko switch. It forces you to go through the “both” switch, when moving between battery 1 & 2.

Tex72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was initially going to install the ACR & dual circuit switch. After reading this thread, I decided against it. There’s too much work involved…dealing with space, relays, fuses/panels, & my Nocco charger etc., it just looks too complicated/time consuming.

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was initially going to install the ACR & dual circuit switch. After reading this thread, I decided against it. There’s too much work involved…dealing with space, relays, fuses/panels, & my Nocco charger etc., it just looks too complicated/time consuming.
it's really quite simple, I have a dual bank charger also, just install the ACR on the load side and you'll be able to charge each battery individually when off, and have both batteries charged by the stators when on the water. It's also a convenient time to get rid of the inline fuses.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would suggest you put in an ACR so both batteries get charged on the water while running. You can make the setup as simple or elaborate as you wish to.

Tex72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would suggest you put in an ACR so both batteries get charged on the water while running. You can make the setup as simple or elaborate as you wish to.
I’ll give this some more thought. I have a little time, before I decide to move forward with the battery addition.
I’ve been waiting for things to cool off, before I take on the project.

Thanks y’all.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
what gauge wire did you use for both
Look up higher in the thread. I am traveling and can check if not there when I get home

ahenderson432

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@AZMark Yes the two fuses are between each battery and switch. I have another 60 amp fuse that is between Positive buss and the the run to the helm. In practice wiring everything up in the boat it got a bit more cluttered. I am not totally pleased with the final result but it will do for now. It is ready for install of the two batteries. Had to stop because it was dark out. Want to check all my work in the daylight before adding power.

I made all the batteries wires here at the house. Since the lengths were different I figured it would be best. First time doing it, wasn't too bad. Hard to bend the guage wire short distances.

View attachment 148067View attachment 148068
That’s a beaut Clark.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Clacava

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wanted to post what I ended up doing using your install as a guide but did a few things differently.....before this I had installed a second battery with a single circuit layout (1/2/off/combine switch). I fried two connext displays for some reason, still not exactly sure why, but before I get the third screen installed I figured I should try changing something to try and avoid it. Figured I would try a dual circuit with on/off switch this time. I mounted the negative busbar on a piece of wood blocking using the bolts for the table holder (I do have a cover for the ground busbar but didn't have it on when I took the picture).

View attachment 186037View attachment 186038View attachment 186039View attachment 186041
This worked without killing your connect screen?

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This worked without killing your connect screen?
after I changed from a single circuit 1/2/off/combine to the dual circuit House/Start arrangement, I did not have any issues with frying the connext screen. I only had it that way for one season as I've since upgraded the boat though.

I suspect the 1/2/off/combine switch was causing voltage spikes when switching through the off position but don't have it any real evidence that was indeed the cause.

Clacava

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
after I changed from a single circuit 1/2/off/combine to the dual circuit House/Start arrangement, I did not have any issues with frying the connext screen. I only had it that way for one season as I've since upgraded the boat though.

I suspect the 1/2/off/combine switch was causing voltage spikes when switching through the off position but don't have it any real evidence that was indeed the cause.
so the pics is the correct way, with the acr?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My picture is correct and work perfectly. Has been done by many people. I can't speak to how anyone else may have miswired their system. If Connext screens were frying something was VERY VERY wrong and miswired.

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My picture is correct and work perfectly. Has been done by many people. I can't speak to how anyone else may have miswired their system. If Connext screens were frying something was VERY VERY wrong and miswired.
Thats not accurate.....you can have a correctly wired system and still have a voltage spike. the connext screens are or were extremely sentivie to voltage spikes.

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
so the pics is the correct way, with the acr?
You want the ACR wired on the load side if you want to independently charge each battery with a smart charger. some of the pictures early in this thread were wired with the ACR on the batt side which I would not do unless you are limited to only one source for charging.

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure which picture your talking about....but the pic in Post #8 looks incorrect to me. Seems to have the ACR on the Battery Posts.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats not accurate.....you can have a correctly wired system and still have a voltage spike. the connext screens are or were extremely sentivie to voltage spikes.
Perhaps but I have wired over 20 Yamaha boats as of now including my own with out issue. The most likely answer is it was wired wrong.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure which picture your talking about....but the pic in Post #8 looks incorrect to me. Seems to have the ACR on the Battery Posts.
When my switch is off it takes the ACR out of the picture. That may have been an early picture. I have 4 bank charger so one on each battery so they charge independently.

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Perhaps but I have wired over 20 Yamaha boats as of now including my own with out issue. The most likely answer is it was wired wrong.
OK.....you go with that.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length