• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 275SD - Fuel Type

chrisjacobson18

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is it safe to run 87 octane in the Yamaha 275SD? Where I live in Minnesota on the Mississippi River there is no premium fuel and the manual says 91 octane or better. I do not want to pull the boat out every time I need to fill up. Is there a safe fuel additive to put in after fill up?

Attachments

• 3566C957-8577-4459-942E-C1CB5B769E6C.jpeg
    3566C957-8577-4459-942E-C1CB5B769E6C.jpeg
    905.4 KB · Views: 22
Is it safe to run 87 octane in the Yamaha 275SD? Where I live in Minnesota on the Mississippi River there is no premium fuel and the manual says 91 octane or better. I do not want to pull the boat out every time I need to fill up. Is there a safe fuel additive to put in after fill up?
No you should not run 87 in the SVHO. I'm not very educated on octane boosters, but I'm sure somebody here is

Most octane boosters are vapor ware and would require many containers to take your 87 gas and turn it into 88 or 89, never mind taking it up to 91.

You'd need 3 bottles of Amsoil Boost to treat 45 gallons, at a cost of $36. It would be cheaper just to bring Jerry cans to the boat.

Look into Boostane Marine. Its a 32 oz bottle. I use it alot for my business tuning high performance Ford and GM vehicles. I can vouch that the additive does increase the knock threshold. They have a mixing ratio on their site. Ive pushed vehicles much further on pump gas 93 that would require 100 octane, mainly boosted applications.

I wouldn’t run anything less than what is recommended. As for adding boosters, there is a plethora of highly debatable topics on the internet for this.

I wouldn’t run anything less than what is recommended. As for adding boosters, there is a plethora of highly debatable topics on the internet for this.
While id agree theres a ton of "snake oil" additives claiming crazy results, there are a few dedicated brands that are used very regularly in the automotive performance industry with proven results. I have thousands of cars ive tuned over the years that would have melted down if on straight pump 93, that with the additive live a long happy life. Boostane marine for my 255xd fill up based on 87 octane to get 93 is a 32 oz can a fill up. Cans are 29 buxs. Ill save with current super price about 100 buxs a fill.

1. No, it is not safe to run 87 octane in your boat.

2. It sucks to have to pull your boat to fuel it…maybe some more intensive searching to find 91 on the water?

3. If you find a suitable octane booster put the booster in before you fill the tank so it will mix while adding fuel.

With the size fuel tank that boat has, I see you are going to become friends with my favorite tool on Friday afternoons.

71XTtmY6O5L._AC_SX679_.jpg

The guys above have given good advice. There have been many heated discussions about why to not burn 87 in our NA 1.8's. But with your SC 1.8, don't stray from the manual. Good luck.

If you can find 100 unleaded or 110 unleaded you can use the calculator below to mix 87 and the 100 to make 91. I use this calculator to mix non ethanol 91 & 85 to get the 86 that is required for my boat.

If you can find 100 unleaded or 110 unleaded you can use the calculator below to mix 87 and the 100 to make 91. I use this calculator to mix non ethanol 91 & 85 to get the 86 that is required for my boat.

This is a good option. A lot less fuel to carry to the dock. I used to mix 110 and 93 to create 98 for my stand up jet ski. I think the boat can run on a lower octane, but you will lose performance. Does anyone know if the 1.8l has knock sensors to change ignition timing?

While id agree theres a ton of "snake oil" additives claiming crazy results, there are a few dedicated brands that are used very regularly in the automotive performance industry with proven results. I have thousands of cars ive tuned over the years that would have melted down if on straight pump 93, that with the additive live a long happy life. Boostane marine for my 255xd fill up based on 87 octane to get 93 is a 32 oz can a fill up. Cans are 29 buxs. Ill save with current super price about 100 buxs a fill.
I might have to get a few cans when the octane is low. Most of the the pumps on the LOZ are premium. but we trailer a lot so fill ups are EZ.

I think the boat can run on a lower octane, but you will lose performance. Does anyone know if the 1.8l has knock sensors to change ignition timing?
Yes the engines will de-advance the timing, but it's better to run the proper octane level. The engines are designed and tuned for a specific range.

I might have to get a few cans when the octane is low. Most of the the pumps on the LOZ are premium. but we trailer a lot so fill ups are EZ.
im a wd distributor for them, i can drop ship straight to you and save you some money or anyone else a member here. Comes in 32oz cans single, 6pack, 20 pack, 5 gal pil and even 55 gal lol. Im ordering up the 5 gallon pails for myself. Ill just prep bottles with the right mixture prior to filling up. Its def a product ive had great success in my shop with all the vehicles i tune from 300hp to 1200hp. It def does what its supposed to.

Back