• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha AR250 restart after shutoff

Zhak123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello, can anyone gimme some info on any restart procedure after turning the boat off? So I have a 2024 yamaha ar250 and we took it out for the first time and shut it off to
Jump in the water, when we tried to restart it the boat wouldn’t start. It still had power but just wouldn’t crank at all. Isn’t there something we need to do to restart or wait a certain amount of time?

sastocky

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
  1. Blower on for a few minutes
  2. No ropes or other items near jets
  3. Everyone in the boat
  4. Kill Switch Lanyard Attached
  5. Both Throttles in Neutral
  6. Turn Key 1
  7. Turn Key 2

Check to make sure both safety switches are engaged under the wet storage/cleanout locker. It’s a common problem.

Zhak123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
  1. Blower on for a few minutes
  2. No ropes or other items near jets
  3. Everyone in the boat
  4. Kill Switch Lanyard Attached
  5. Both Throttles in Neutral
  6. Turn Key 1
  7. Turn Key 2

Check to make sure both safety switches are engaged under the wet storage/cleanout locker. It’s a common problem.

Zhak123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I guess my next question is will the boat not start if you don’t wait the 2 minute blower period? Like if for any reason I have to turn the boat on in an emergency situation I would have to wait 2 minutes before the boat would start?

Zhak123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I guess my next question is will the boat not start if you don’t wait the 4 minute blower period? Like if for any reason I have to turn the boat on in an emergency situation I would have to wait 4 minutes before the boat would start?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So I guess my next question is will the boat not start if you don’t wait the 2 minute blower period? Like if for any reason I have to turn the boat on in an emergency situation I would have to wait 2 minutes before the boat would start?
No, boat should restart instantly, blowers on or not. But turn your blowers on as a safety precaution first.

I've had a hard restart issue here and there (as have many others) on one motor vs. the other. The common theme that had been discussed is that the spark plugs needed to be changed once a year and that running at low RPM before shutting if off (and after an extended period of time at above-no wake throttle) would help cool the motor down some - that always seemed to work for me.

However just recently we've learned that Yamaha is admitting to a design flaw that allows water to back up into the exhaust which might explain why the motor hard restarts after sitting. Their solution is to basically "rev" the boat in reverse before stopping to clear the exhaust of water and "not rock the boat" when at anchor. I'm going to be trying to remember to do a Neutral No Wake Mode for 30 second before shutting the motors off this season to see if it helps at all.

highway76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
If its not cranking, 9/10 chance the throttles aren't in neutral or the kill switch isn't fully disengaged.

TommyMcK

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Boat not cranking at all on either engine means that it's not a "hard restart issue", it's a "something is not configured right" issue or a start battery is drained" issue.

As mentioned above, can you confirm that you have the lanyard installed, that throttles are in neutral (this is by far the most common reason that a boat won't start immediately after shutdown), keys are in the on position and that you checked to make sure that the rear hatch cover is latched properly?

Zhak123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you everyone for all the replies, it’s a brand new boat and 1st time ever being used I wouldn’t think it’s the spark plugs. The only message we were getting was the blower giving us a 4 minute countdown. I can’t imagine it was designed to not start for 4 minutes! What if we’re in an emergency.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So did you get it to restart ? Did you have to get towed in?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thank you everyone for all the replies, it’s a brand new boat and 1st time ever being used I wouldn’t think it’s the spark plugs. The only message we were getting was the blower giving us a 4 minute countdown. I can’t imagine it was designed to not start for 4 minutes! What if we’re in an emergency.
That countdown is just for the blower to turn itself off. You can also manually turn it off by tapping the blower "button" on the screen.

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it dead as in nothing? Like doesn't even click or want to start turning over? If it gives it a half crank or acts like a really dead battery be careful. I had for some reason that is still a mystery hydrolocked my port motor. Luckily a savvy friend told me to stop trying and we pulled the plugs and shot the water out. It was a freak thing and it was never an issue again but it could have been a disaster. If it just wont even attempt to turn over the above mentioned lists would be the culprit. Lanyard unhooked, throttles not in neutral, clean out plug hatch not shut or sensors on the hatch not adjusted right, loose battery connections, bad battery, etc.... Let us know what you discover and what have you tried so far as we all learn from others on here.

anjboyer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check safety switches in the Clean out port area. Make sure the clean out port hatch is latched tight.