• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Yamaha Jet Boat Docking

Rudy09

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My first three years of owning our 242 LS we trailered the boat many places and docking was pretty straightforward once we got past the learning curve because it didn’t really involve any backing up. Three years later we started doing a rack and launch. After each trip, we had to back the boat into the dock slip so the HI-LO could pick the boat up and put it back in the rack. No matter how much I practiced I could never get the hang of backing it up.
Scrolling through Instagram, I found a guy that teaches docking, SMC boating academy. I hired him for the day just to teach me backing up with a twin engine. At the end of the day I was pretty impressed with what I learned and was able to do. In order to get me comfortable with the twin engines and the dual throttles I had to drive throughout the marina and was never allowed to touch the steering wheel. Then we moved to backing up to the dock and by the end of the day I could put the boat anywhere I wanted, no steering input, just throttles. Halfway through the day I grabbed a quick video, I wish I would have recorded more.

Great job!

Nice being able to exploit the maneuvering qualities your boat was delivered with!

Welcome to the world of twins

I never use independent control lol I got normal docking pretty close to mastered. We were in the keys a few weeks ago and we rented a slip at the KOA. They gave us a 17' wide slip and put two boats with 8.5' beams in there, and I had about my boat length to back out. What a stupid design that was but it certainly tested my skills lol.

I never use independent control lol I got normal docking pretty close to mastered. We were in the keys a few weeks ago and we rented a slip at the KOA. They gave us a 17' wide slip and put two boats with 8.5' beams in there, and I had about my boat length to back out. What a stupid design that was but it certainly tested my skills lol.

Try using no wake #3 and use split throttles…

That’s a tight squeeze !

Wow, I have always heard folks talk about doing the twin stick, but had never seen it. It sounded complicated, but that was awesome! Nice job

I do understand how these guys in the twin engine fishing boats do it as well. You can see those guys stand backwards with the sticks behind their back. They have races to do this, and it's so impressive at speed.

Great video and well done. Reminds me of a Mayday episode where a transport plane (A330 I think) was damaged by an RPG in Iraq and the pilot was able to steer and land with only the throttles. He had no rudder. That was super impressive

Great video and well done. Reminds me of a Mayday episode where a transport plane (A330 I think) was damaged by an RPG in Iraq and the pilot was able to steer and land with only the throttles. He had no rudder. That was super impressive
Not to get too off topic, but I will. Lol. This reminds me of one the the coolest gaming experiences I've had. Playing IL2 sturmovick (WW2 plane sim). My plane was badly damaged and I had lost most of my control surfaces and was able to limp back using differential power on each engine for side to side and speed for up and down.

Well, real world aircraft thing, when that dc -10 tail mounted engine blew apart and too out all the hydraulics they were able to control the plane and make controlled crash landing using just throttle on the two remaining engines. People did but a lot lived.

I’m no expert at it, but with no rudder, I do find splitting the throttles to be more effective than the wheel for low speed maneuvering.

I’m no expert at it, but with no rudder, I do find splitting the throttles to be more effective than the wheel for low speed maneuvering.
I’m sold on the idea now .

My first three years of owning our 242 LS we trailered the boat many places and docking was pretty straightforward once we got past the learning curve because it didn’t really involve any backing up. Three years later we started doing a rack and launch. After each trip, we had to back the boat into the dock slip so the HI-LO could pick the boat up and put it back in the rack. No matter how much I practiced I could never get the hang of backing it up.
Scrolling through Instagram, I found a guy that teaches docking, SMC boating academy. I hired him for the day just to teach me backing up with a twin engine. At the end of the day I was pretty impressed with what I learned and was able to do. In order to get me comfortable with the twin engines and the dual throttles I had to drive throughout the marina and was never allowed to touch the steering wheel. Then we moved to backing up to the dock and by the end of the day I could put the boat anywhere I wanted, no steering input, just throttles. Halfway through the day I grabbed a quick video, I wish I would have recorded more.

This is hands down the best content I've seen yet from someone with only 8 posts.

THANK YOU for sharing. I love it!

That’s a tight squeeze, nice work ….For me I didn’t have an issue backing off a dock or out of a slip after dinner using just the wheel. if I had to back into the slip the challenge was very really.

Back