• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Yamaha jet boat issues

JayB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum, and am considering my first jet boat. Reading extensively and watching many videos, I have learned the Yamahas seem to have manufacturing defects and quality control issues, which seem to persist over the years (I am sure many manufacturers have issues as well). For example the plastic scupper drain hose thru-hull fitting breaking off. Rusting to the point of breaking "stainless" hose clamps, water leaking into various compartments, bilge pump mounted too high (in the engine compartment, not the actual bilge), bolts extending into the storage areas where they can tear items. I am curious if Yamaha has addressed these issues over the years, to correct them. We really like the Yamaha jet boats in spite of these issues. We will be downsizing from a Parker 2510, to an AR190 or 195.
Jay

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum, and am considering my first jet boat. Reading extensively and watching many videos, I have learned the Yamahas seem to have manufacturing defects and quality control issues, which seem to persist over the years (I am sure many manufacturers have issues as well). For example the plastic scupper drain hose thru-hull fitting breaking off. Rusting to the point of breaking "stainless" hose clamps, water leaking into various compartments, bilge pump mounted too high (in the engine compartment, not the actual bilge), bolts extending into the storage areas where they can tear items. I am curious if Yamaha has addressed these issues over the years, to correct them. We really like the Yamaha jet boats in spite of these issues. We will be downsizing from a Parker 2510, to an AR190 or 195.
Jay
Like all boats they have their nuances. But by and large they really are dependable boats. Have a 2020 195s and no problems that weren’t easily addressable. Covid created back orders on some parts but other manufacturers, auto makers etc have had to deal with that too.
Don’t be discouraged reading forums and the like, usually a place for us to share solutions or complain because something is not perfect. Screws, clamps etc are easy remedies and rusted ones are likely on older boats in salt water that weren’t cleaned after use religiously. I would definitely recommend Yamaha. Great value boat.

Firstly, most people don't get on the net to say how great something is, it’s usually to complain and look for solutions.

Did I have some issues with my boat? Yes, and they were really mostly an annoyance, and some of it was my OCD. I could have gone on using my boat how it was delivered with out doing anything except maintenance and replacing a couple of simple parts, of which neither would have prevented using the boat. The boat is a great value and is as inexpensive as running a boat can be.

8D696944-85A8-4706-9A3D-9AF2B3E17923.pngAfter 4 seasons of salt water I still don’t have a drop of rust anywhere.

Agree with what others have said. Mine is now 5 seasons old and I’ve some problems but can’t say they’re major. The engines are super dependable and overall the boat has been great. The fit and finish is not quite up there with the best but then neither is the price.

I’ve owned 5 new boats now and they’ve all had some problems. Yamaha is no worse than the others.

Engine clamps can be kept rust free with a coating of grease

Jay
Some of the issues is dealer pre-check/prep, when I got my boat everything is in order, no wood shavings in compartment or loose screws. no leaks. Boaters Exchange in Rockledge have AR190 available. I got mine MSRP + $3K (trailer/prep fee). If you decided to buy highly recommend them, Mike Brown is the one that helped me there. As long as you keep it maintained, you will have no issues, I inspect clamps every 6 mos or so but im in saltwater probably can do yearly on freshwater use.

Edit: In addition, I keep assorted clamp sizes in the boat in case of emergency

After 4 seasons of salt water I still don’t have a drop of rust anywhere.

Maintenance is key in Salt and not sinking or flooding engine bay is also frowned upon in any inboard type boat.
It also helps if you are a first owner.

1673530746701.png

I love my SX195. For what you get at the price point you really can’t go wrong. It fits my needs if one or two people want to go out, or if you have a full boat, it’s just big enough yet just small enough.
Just keep in mind, the supercharger will make a big difference in speed and being able to pull a tube. My wife wanted to go for the 190 because it was cheaper and “we don’t need a supercharger”. I explained the difference and I’m glad the dealer did the same when talking to her. I would imagine my cruising speed in the 195 is close to the top end of a 190, but I could be wrong. Something to keep in mind. Other than that, highly recommend a Yamaha.

Thank you all!!
Jay

If you walked into a dented can food store, one would start to wonder if manufacturers even sold food that was not expired.

Coming to a forum where 90% of first posts are asking for help with an issue, one would expect if Yamaha ever produced a boat without issues. A person has to understand that there are literally thousands of these boats out there with owners that don't even realize these forums exist, as they have never had the need to go out and look for answers. They just have many trouble free years of use. They gas and go.

The majority of these boats are truly trouble free. There are just pockets of users like us that want them to be perfect, and we are very OCD about maintenance. Knock on wood, our last couple jetboats have been amazing, and would trust it over so many other brands hands down.

The issues the OP pointed out are not widespread. They just happen enough, that they are common questions, that have very easy remedies.

Good luck.

Look for our posts on used vs. New in the search. Boats are built like homes, one at time, with lots of manual intervention and craftsmanship. Generally most new boats are not 100% perfect the way most cars are when they roll off the assembly line. Warranty service if needed takes weeks not days of turn around time. (Note this is true for most all boat brands)

I don't share this to dissuade you, but to set your expectations. Yamaha driveline simplicity and reliability is a big plus for these boats, compared to the alternative, along with form factor. If you don't mind the higher cost and exposed engines a twin outboard might compete on reliability but not on simplicity of maintenance, and they surely won't have as awesome a discussion board as this one.

Best of luck however you proceed.

Back