• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

House battery not charging - Yamaha 242LS

Dadco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For some reason my house battery has stopped charging. I had to emergency parallel it after getting an AUX low voltage of 11.2v. Paralleling it is a temporary fix, but it stands to reason I may need to troubleshoot the relay that switches the charging from one battery to the other. Does anyone have experience troubleshooting this issue?
Thanks in advance

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
For some reason my house battery has stopped charging. I had to emergency parallel it after getting an AUX low voltage of 11.2v. Paralleling it is a temporary fix, but it stands to reason I may need to troubleshoot the relay that switches the charging from one battery to the other. Does anyone have experience troubleshooting this issue?
Thanks in advance
I’m assuming you have a BEP marine DVSR two battery switch?

If so, then this DVSR does not charge one battery or another, the start battery will charge first by virtue of it being connected to the alternator outputs from the engines.

First make sure that the little black wire coming from the BEP battery switch is connected to a battery ground.
Next take a voltage read off of the start and house battery.
Take a battery charger and put it on the start battery, when the voltage on the start battery reaches 13.4 Volts DC the DVSR light should come on, the DVSR should close the paralleling switch and the house battery voltage should start to climb.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If the dvsr is bad you can replace it alone for around $100 but I suggest you also have both batteries tested before you buy any replacement parts or batteries.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

Dadco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok, appreciate the advice.
My boat is a 2013, so it has a VSR not the DVSR.
Replaced both batteries less than 6 months ago, so maybe it could be a loose connection. When I purchased the boat (ten years ago), I had the dealer move the batteries back toward the stern, so checking all the battery connections is a little more difficult without pulling everything out. If it is a loose connection, would the batteries still parallel like they do?

I will pull the batteries forward today, check all connections and place the start battery on a charge to see if it switches like you say. I ran the boat yesterday and the start battery voltage was 14.1 with AUX voltage dropping to 11.3. At that point I paralleled them again to recharge the house battery. This is why I think it may be the VSR.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Replaced both batteries less than 6 months ago, so maybe it could be a loose connection. When I purchased the boat (ten years ago), I had the dealer move the batteries back toward the stern, so checking all the battery connections is a little more difficult without pulling everything out. If it is a loose connection, would the batteries still parallel like they do?

I will pull the batteries forward today, check all connections and place the start battery on a charge to see if it switches like you say. I ran the boat yesterday and the start battery voltage was 14.1 with AUX voltage dropping to 11.3. At that point I paralleled them again to recharge the house battery. This is why I think it may be the VSR.
Can you be more specific about the VSR please ?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Mine looks like this one. Picture found online
Okay cool! Is it in a four cluster thingie that has two switches in it that looks like this?

7D5AA5FD-480F-4AD3-92E1-F45D5DE1B873.jpeg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Be sure that little black wire is not broken or disconnected… without that the VSR will not work.

Dadco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Be sure that little black wire is not broken or disconnected… without that the VSR will not work.
Got tied up today so didn't get to pull out the batteries to check connections. Will definitely get to it tomorrow and let you know. Thanks for the help

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Got tied up today so didn't get to pull out the batteries to check connections. Will definitely get to it tomorrow and let you know. Thanks for the help
Right on.. good luck! I hope that it is something simple.

Dadco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Right on.. good luck! I hope that it is something simple.
Ok, I stand corrected. I thought I only had a VSR, it is actually a DVSR like you posted. I checked all connections and ran the starboard engine on the hose while watching the voltages. After start, start battery 14.1 v and Aux shows 11.3. Aux still not charging so I paralleled them again and got 12.8 and 12.3 on Aux. I then unparalleled them and got the stereo on to see if Aux would charge, it did not. The red light on the DVSR never came on. Here are pics of my setup...this pick was when I had them paralleled
IMG_4741.jpg
IMG_4742.jpg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did you make sure that the little black wire was properly grounded?

In one picture I can see the black wire leaving the DVSR and the other I cannot see it, perhaps just camera angle, but still something to verify. If the dvsr is bad, you can probably just replace the module, if not the whole switch assembly.

Last edited:

Dadco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

In one picture I can see the black wire leaving the DVSR and the other I cannot see it, perhaps just camera angle, but still something to verify. If the dvsr is bad, you can probably just replace the module, if not the whole switch assembly.
Yes, it's grounded.
Ok, so I guess I will call the dealer about a new DVSR. Does anyone know if this is a generic or Yamaha specific item? It's funny, I looked through the whole service manual and supplemental service manual and they don't even mention a DVSR or battery hookup...:(

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Pull the dsvr thingus and take post an image of the backside.
Sometimes they get modified.
Any extra switches on the dash?

Dadco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Pull the dsvr thingus and take post an image of the backside.
Sometimes they get modified.
Any extra switches on the dash?
So, I bit the bullet and bought a new DVSR off Amazon with one day shipping. Installed it an hour ago and ran an engine on the hose. Everything working fine now, thankfully. :)

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So, I bit the bullet and bought a new DVSR off Amazon with one day shipping. Installed it an hour ago and ran an engine on the hose. Everything working fine now, thankfully. :)
Great! Things break over time… as long as it is all good now. Be sure an fully charge your house battery.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I doubt it. Do you have an onboard charger? Or do you charge the battery when it is off the water with a portable charger? If not that is why your house battery is not charged well.

As far as overheat alarms go, please provide more details.
Is your boat used in salt water? If so have have you been flushing the engines with a Salt Away product ?
Is there water coming out of the Pilot water outlets?
When does the overheat alarm come in? Idle, cruising, running fast, on the hose? We have seen members report over heat in all those conditions.
How many hours on the boat?
Are you the original owner?