• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH 210 and noco 5x2 charger

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi all,

read a few things regarding the noco 5x2 and needing to cut the red loop wire on the back of the DVSR in order for it to work properly as a smart charger. I wasn’t sure if this was still needed or not.

I just picked up my 2022 FSH 210 last weekend and hooked up the noco today. Noticed the DVSR light was on when it was charging and the noco indicated that the batteries were cycling on and off.

So, looking for some additional wisdom. Does anyone have pictures of what wires are cut and what wire is spliced into so the DVSR only works when the key is on and the charger can be smart when the key is off and on shore power.

Camson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have 2021 FSH 210 with NOCO Genpro 10x2 and have not changed anything. Now you got me wondering if I am missing anything? I do notice that when I plug it in, the indicators show it cycling and usually show it charged within 10-15 minutes.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Last edited:

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Figured it out from this post - https://jetboaters.net/threads/dvsr-help.22812/ #25 & #26....thank you!

1. Remove the four Philip screws holding the battery switches - picture 1.
2. Cut the small reddish pink loop wire on the back of the DVSR - picture 2.
3. Cap the small reddish pink wire that is on top position. Add in a small piece of wire and a nut connector to the bottom part of the reddish pink wire - picture 3.
4. Add the nut connector to the start battery terminal B - picture 4.
5. Screw the battery switches back in place with the same screws you removed in step 1.

When the start battery is switched off, the Noco dual smart charger will charge both batteries independently instead of in parallel - as it was designed to do. When the start battery is switched on and you are idling or driving, the DVSR will charge both batteries - as it was designed to do. Basically this hack allows the start battery switch to control the DVSR - in the off position the Noco works, in the on position the DVSR works.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for making this easy to do and understand.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
FYI.

Nice job on setting up the DVSR so the start and house batts can charge independently. This is very valuable if one is running flooded lead acid batteries and an equalizing charge is put on the batteries.

The screen shot below is from BEP’s web site… I thought that the reference voltage for the DVSR was from the start battery but as evidenced from the literature below it is when either battery sees a charging voltage level of 13.4V, our engines charging system does go to the start battery so that battery will charge first.

I just replaced my house battery with a 100Ah LiFePO4 battery and the resting voltage was higher than the DVSR pick up voltage of 13.4V, so the DVSR closed and started charging the AGM start battery. I hooked up my DVSR to a dash mounted switch, I did this to make sure the AGM start batteries‘ voltage was at or higher than the LiFePO4‘s voltage before I allow the DVSR to parallel the batteries. Eventually I’ll hook up the DVSR power to an ignition hot with a Time Delay relay with a 300 second delay to allow the AGM start battery voltage to climb to or above the house battery voltage before paralleling.

BEAED040-9652-45EB-9F06-5878B5086D6B.jpeg

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Can someone explain the Optional Storage Mode?
Not sure I understand—if batteries are switched off isn’t everything except the direct wired bilge off?

Bruins63

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Can someone explain the Optional Storage Mode?
Not sure I understand—if batteries are switched off isn’t everything except the direct wired bilge off?
Putting the switches in the 'OFF' position only cuts power to the load (engine or accessories). The DSVR is completely separate from them on the battery side of the switches. If the voltage on either battery is high enough it will connect the batteries, regardless of switch position, which is the problem everyone is trying to solve for charging, they want to charge the batteries separately. The example circuit from BEP shows it clearly if you can read electrical circuits, the 210 with dual engines is obviously slightly different but the concept is the same. The ignition control/storage mode allows you to override the DSVR and keep the two batteries separate while charging. Hope this clarifies it a bit.

Also Yammi thanks for posting the nice clean solution, I was looking for the best way to wire the DSVR to the ignition but your solution is way cleaner.

Attachments

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Also Yammi thanks for posting the nice clean solution, I was looking for the best way to wire the DSVR to the ignition but your solution is way cleaner.
No problem. I also confirmed this week that when underway, the DSVR light is on and both batteries are getting charged.

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have noco 5x2, using it inside during the winter to maintain my 2 batteries.
I was going to add it to my boat this summer.
I was assuming I could wire it to each battery, same way I am maintaining them now.
I would only have the charger plugged in with both battery switched "off" and also yellow switch "off".
Do I still run into this issue of dvsr "joining them together" or does the fact the switches are off separate them from being charged together?
Thanks!

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Have noco 5x2, using it inside during the winter to maintain my 2 batteries.
I was going to add it to my boat this summer.
I was assuming I could wire it to each battery, same way I am maintaining them now.
I would only have the charger plugged in with both battery switched "off" and also yellow switch "off".
Do I still run into this issue of dvsr "joining them together" or does the fact the switches are off separate them from being charged together?
Thanks!
When you have both batters outside of the boat and use the Noco, you do not have the DVSR to worry about and the Noco runs perfectly.

When you hook up the Norco in the boat, plug it in to charge the batteries and have all switches off (house / starter / yellow), you will see the little red DVSR LED light will come on indicating its charing both batteries at the same time - as one. So, if you want to use the Noco on the boat and charge both batters independently, you will have to do the quick mod in post #4 above....it is very simple, but works and takes the guessing out of it.

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, If you just use the set up from the factory and use a 5x1 charger to really either battery....it's just going to end up charging them together just like if the boat is running, correct? Other than the charger will take longer to get both batteries to the same level....seems like that would be an option?

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So, If you just use the set up from the factory and use a 5x1 charger to really either battery....it's just going to end up charging them together just like if the boat is running, correct? Other than the charger will take longer to get both batteries to the same level....seems like that would be an option?
Not sure about a Noco 5x1 on a single battery because both batteries share a common ground.

even if you set up the Noco 5x2 and don’t do the DVSR wire hack, it will charge both batteries….it will just take longer and charge them as a pair instead of independently….I also read that could lead to decreased battery life expectancy.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have my solar charge controller just connected to my house battery and it keeps both house and start battery charged so it should work for the Norco too.

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Put my batteries back in the boat, added the noco 5x2.....I did NOT do the step to cut the pink wire......I have too much to move around in order to access it so my plan was to add an on/off toggle switch to the small black wire for the DVSR like others have talked about.
I have all my battery switches off and I do not have power to the NOCO.
I understand when I plug the charger in the DVSR will join the 2 together...however I was surprised that the DVSR red light is ON even when I do not have the charger plugged in to 110 outlet and neither battery is receiving a charge?

madtom

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Figured it out from this post - https://jetboaters.net/threads/dvsr-help.22812/ #25 & #26....thank you!

1. Remove the four Philip screws holding the battery switches - picture 1.
2. Cut the small reddish pink loop wire on the back of the DVSR - picture 2.
3. Cap the small reddish pink wire that is on top position. Add in a small piece of wire and a nut connector to the bottom part of the reddish pink wire - picture 3.
4. Add the nut connector to the start battery terminal B - picture 4.
5. Screw the battery switches back in place with the same screws you removed in step 1.

When the start battery is switched off, the Noco dual smart charger will charge both batteries independently instead of in parallel - as it was designed to do. When the start battery is switched on and you are idling or driving, the DVSR will charge both batteries - as it was designed to do. Basically this hack allows the start battery switch to control the DVSR - in the off position the Noco works, in the on position the DVSR works.
Yammi,

Thanks for the clean solution. Did this to my 210 today. works as advertised ;)

With the DVSR connected as from the factory the batteries would occasionally mistake the voltage coming thru the Noco and not charge fully before going into trickle mode. Both batteries get a charge from the Noco individually now. My only concern was that the loop wire is tiny... added a piece like you did and put nice heavy nut connector onto end of wire.

Tom

BroadOak

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This is just now a problem. Not sure what happened because mine used to charge each through the noco but now it will stay in standby mode on the one battery while the other is charged and maintained.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This is just now a problem. Not sure what happened because mine used to charge each through the noco but now it will stay in standby mode on the one battery while the other is charged and maintained.
If you never modified the DVSR then it was just voodoo that made it work before

EastonRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don't know what your setup is, but NOCO's do go bad. Do some troubleshooting on that (e.g., switch the one battery to the other bank). Mine 5x2 worked like a champ all season in the boat. When I pulled the boat in December and stored the batteries it stopped working. One bank kept alternating between standby and charging mode with no evidence of charging and the other bank just kept blowing the fuse. A little googling told me I wasn't the only one that had this issue.

It was less than a year old, and I did get a new one eventually through their warranty process.