• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH 210 and noco 5x2 charger

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I realize I'm in an old thread here, but back to what lazergeek posted. Just hook a single charger to the start battery and let the DVSR do it's thing. It's how the volts from the alternator get distributed. It will work fine with the switches off. For my purposes, I don't need a fast charge the batteries are pretty well charged when I pull into the slip. I just want to make sure they are maintained if I don't use the boat for a few weeks. Now the trolling batts will need a higher amp charger. Unless I'm talked out of it I'm going that route.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have a 5x2 charger, one charging cable set connected to start, the other charging cable set connected to two parallel AGM's for the house battery bank. NOCO is set for flooded on start and AGM on house. Both batteries charge to 12.7 per the Connext screen without issue without modding the DVSR.

Mid life crisis

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I realize I'm in an old thread here, but back to what lazergeek posted. Just hook a single charger to the start battery and let the DVSR do it's thing. It's how the volts from the alternator get distributed. It will work fine with the switches off. For my purposes, I don't need a fast charge the batteries are pretty well charged when I pull into the slip. I just want to make sure they are maintained if I don't use the boat for a few weeks. Now the trolling batts will need a higher amp charger. Unless I'm talked out of it I'm going that route.
I’m also curious if anyone talks you out of this. Not really wanting to cut wires in my new 222 so think I might order the single bank NOCO and go that way.

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
A 2 Amp Battery tender keeps seldom used cars topped off when they sit awhile so I think a 10 or even a 5 amp NOCO will do fine for the house & start batts.
And yes I favor a solution where I don’t start cutting wires right away.

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a 5x2 charger, one charging cable set connected to start, the other charging cable set connected to two parallel AGM's for the house battery bank. NOCO is set for flooded on start and AGM on house. Both batteries charge to 12.7 per the Connext screen without issue without modding the DVSR.
When you turn both the house and start batteries to the off position and connect the NOCO charger, does the DVSR light come on? If so, it’s charging them all in parallel. It will work and charge them all, but this way the NOCO is not acting as a smart charger and charging batteries independently.

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes I believe this will work. Might be an issue if you mix batteries, ie. LiFePO4 and AGM. Read the post from FSH 210 Sport. But if 2 similar batteries it should work. I would test with a voltage meter just to confirm.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Like stated earlier it really depends what your goals are and what batteries you have. For example 2 of the same type and age of batteries you will have no problem charging them with no modification. However you lose all "smart" capabilities, so if you are out and regularly run your house battery down your smart charger will not be able to repair the battery while its connected to the DVSR. This mod is very simple I personally did it myself as well following the directions here and it still allows to charge both batteries together while boat is running. However allows a smart charger to do its thing and top off and repair the batteries independently when you have it plugged in at home. Also if you upgrade to an AGM battery or similar in the future a trickle charger will never fully top off the battery. A 10 AMP+ charger is recommended.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
FLA and AGM batteries require different voltages for charging, with the FLA needing upwards and above 15 volts, AGM’s are 14.4 volts max. These two batteries have different charging profiles with all of the smart chargers on the market, all the profiles work to charge the batteries fully with minimal gassing. So, if you are charging FLA and AGM batteries with a two bank charger with the profiles set to each battery and the dvsr is active you are over voltaging the AGM battery.

Lead acid batteries require 10-13C of charging current, that means 10-13% of the Ah rating of a battery, so for a 75Ah battery that is 7.5-9.75 A’s. AGM batteries can use 25A’s as long as the voltage doesn’t exceed 14.4 volts. I corresponded with Interstate Batteries lab on that last bit, still have the emails if you need proof, and that was for a group 24 battery.

A battery tender may keep a battery charged but it is not designed to properly recharge a deep cycle battery.

If left in OEM configuration, the DVSR light will come on as soon as the voltage reaches 13.2 Volts on either battery, and will parallel them.

You can use a single bank charger on either the start or house battery with the dvsr in the OEM configuration and both batteries will charge, but as @MrBubbaGump points out, you eliminate the smart chargers ability to charge a deep cycle battery properly both the FLA and the AGM.

If you have FLA batteries you need to do a manual equalizing charge at least monthly on deep cycle batteries to assure the cells are balanced and are at the correct specific gravity to get the most performance out of them, to check this you need a hydrometer, I’d say the vast majority of people do not do these steps and get poor performance out of their FLA batteries and then spend wayyyy too much money on replacing them with same or agm batteries. Other things the equalizing charge does is to clean the plates thoroughly and it mixes the electrolyte fully as it can get stratified over time. The price for going with a FLA battery is just a couple of maintenance steps that will take about 10 mins a month.

Modifying the dvsr is super easy. Cut the red wire and connect the proper end to a ring terminal and attached it to the switched side of the house or start battery. If you don’t want to do that, simply remove the ground wire, thin black wire attached to the batteries, or just put a switch in line and it has the same affect. Using the battery switch method makes it a bit of a no brainer.
E5287949-2EB4-404D-961A-E62B8CC6D866.jpeg

If you the reader follow these steps with FLA batteries I guarantee you there will be a noticeable difference in battery performance if you have been using these batteries for a while. In fact when I talked with Trojan some time ago they told me how their deep cycle batteries take several discharge / charge cycles to gain their full potential.

Note:
Since my handle was mentioned above and also mentioned LiFePO4 batteries, if you go to a LiFePO4 house battery you will need to mod the dvsr to either storage or ignition mode as the resting voltage of the dvsr is 13.6 V when fully charged and will not drop to 12.7 V until almost completely discharged, which means the dvsr will stay closed and the LiFePO4 battery will dump power into the lead acid start battery until it is depleted, I cover this in my upgraded battery thread. So, I have my dvsr hooked up to a rocker switch on the dash so it is fully manual.

Mid life crisis

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok so trying to comprehend all this. I have a new boat with factory batteries. Am I good with a single bank NOCO hooked up to start battery and not cutting the DSVR or should I get a dual bank NOCO and cut the DSVR?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ok so trying to comprehend all this. I have a new boat with factory batteries. Am I good with a single bank NOCO hooked up to start battery and not cutting the DSVR or should I get a dual bank NOCO and cut the DSVR?
Get a two bank 10A charger, 10x2 and hook it up to both batteries.

In the meantime you can just disconnect the thin black wire that comes from the dvsr to the batteries at least monthly, heck wouldn’t take but 30 seconds after each outing, or just put an inline switch to make it easy, and let the NOCO do its thing, and or check the fla batteries with a hydrometer and run a manual equalizing charge. Do a pre and post hydrometer check and you will see the difference.

The noco has a auto repair / equalizing cycle if I am not mistaken as well as a manual one. That is why the smart chargers are so awesome, they do what is required automatically but it is still important to check at least monthly. The Flooded lead acid batteries are the cheapest KWh per $ other than LiFePO4 batteries.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My charging routine uses a 2 bank noco. it is mounted but not wired into the batteries, I manually connect the alligator clips that come with the charger.

I also completely disconnect the House battery removing all boat wires from the House battery.
This results in 2 fully charged batteries with 2 happy green lights on the charger.

When I fire the motor I immediately see 14.something volts on both at the helm.

First attempts at charging without disconnecting the house battery would result in a fully charged start battery and no charge to the house battery. Green on start, yellow red green on house....

Not rewiring the dvsr.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I mis read your post…I didn’t think you were willing to do the DVSR mod. if I were you I’d cut the little red DVSR wire in the middle, splice on a wire from the appropriate side and run it to the switched side of the start or house battery so that it is part of your start up process.

Here are the instructions from BEP Marine.

You will be setting it up in the storage mode, and the switch you use will be the start or house battery on the switched side, not the source side. This is how I have mine set up now.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just get a single bank charger and connect to the house battery as that battery gets discharged the most and call it good. No need to get dual bank if your not going to mod the DVSR.
I have been using single bank charger for over 2 years with no issues. Keeping lead acid batteries fully charged is more important then having a split bank charger.

Mid life crisis

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just get a single bank charger and connect to the house battery as that battery gets discharged the most and call it good. No need to get dual bank if your not going to mod the DVSR.
I have been using single bank charger for over 2 years with no issues. Keeping lead acid batteries fully charged is more important then having a split bank charger.
See this is the way I was going but then it’s just back and forth, back and forth. Amazon is hating me for all these orders and returns.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you are in a slip with power or parked in front of a boat friendly motel, the 2 bank charger is nice cause you won't have to come back and switch over.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you are in a slip with power or parked in front of a boat friendly motel, the 2 bank charger is nice cause you won't have to come back and switch over.
He Wont have to switch it over. The DVSR will parallel the batteries automatically when the charger is active.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I
He Wont have to switch it over. The DVSR will parallel the batteries automatically when the charger is active.

Cool, I have not tried that.

I'm good with extra steps I take,
My goal is to not introduce electrons from a computer controlled charging device into a quirky boat electrical system that is functioning properly.
I do the same with my NextGen lifepoo troller battery, it has it's own matching stand alone NextGen 20 amp charger.
This battery has bluetooth, I can watch cell temps while it is charging, on my phone.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I

Cool, I have not tried that.

I'm good with extra steps I take,
My goal is to not introduce electrons from a computer controlled charging device into a quirky boat electrical system that is functioning properly.
I do the same with my NextGen lifepoo troller battery, it has it's own matching stand alone NextGen 20 amp charger.
This battery has bluetooth, I can watch cell temps while it is charging, on my phone.
How is the boats electrical system quirky?

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Quirky in that I need to disconnect the house battery to charge it with the dvsr off.

Quirky in the dirt bike rectifier shunted barely adequate charging system. All electronics on, live well running all day , at the end off the day the house battery will need charged.

Quirky in that a large portion of the problems on this site are electronic control system issues and battery problems,

Why would I modify the dvsr on a boat that is under warranty? A ground loop anywhere can take out a conext screen head unit.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Quirky in that I need to disconnect the house battery to charge it with the dvsr off.

Quirky in the dirt bike rectifier shunted barely adequate charging system. All electronics on, live well running all day , at the end off the day the house battery will need charged.

Quirky in that a large portion of the problems on this site are electronic control system issues and battery problems,

Why would I modify the dvsr on a boat that is under warranty? A ground loop anywhere can take out a conext screen head unit.
Interesting.

“Quirky in that I need to disconnect the house battery to charge it with the dvsr off”.
Not really, it’s just better imho, but others have had good success using a single bank charger connected to the house battery.

“Quirky in the dirt bike rectifier shunted barely adequate charging system. All electronics on, live well running all day , at the end off the day the house battery will need charged”.
The three phase PMG alternator charging system is beautifully simple and compact and the full wave rectifier is water cooled, puts out roughly 7 amps at idle 14 Amps at 3500 rpm, live well 2A, fish finder 2A, 8 hour day equals 32Ah out of a 75 Ah battery or 37.5 Ah @50% capacity, even the high dollar CC’s have on board chargers. Sometimes when I still had a lead acid battery I’d just run the engines for a while to bring the house battery back up some, same as the big outboards do to recharge their house batteries.

“Quirky in that a large portion of the problems on this site are electronic control system issues and battery problems”.
Some are, a lot are prep issues, others are loose connections, but most all are corrected with simple fixes.

“Why would I modify the dvsr on a boat that is under warranty? A ground loop anywhere can take out a conext screen head unit”.
Why not? You‘ve made other modifications while it’s under warranty? Modifying the DVSR by cutting the little red wire is a process from BEP marine themselves. Most of connext screen problems I’ve seen are from people hooking up battery wires backwards, bad grounds, and some just broke, not unlike other systems on other more expensive boats.

Last edited: