• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2023 vs 2024 222SD

soundssweet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
hey all, brand new to Yamaha boating (or rather soon to be, ha)…I wanted to purchase a new 222SD, and started the process back in the end of Sept…was originally planning on getting a 2023, but being end of year the potential of a 2024 put me in the mindset to wait…apparently they (Yamaha) haven’t sent any 222SD’s to Florida yet, and from the dealer inquiries it seems might not see any till Jan (my dealer had one in que this quarter, still TBD delivery)…I am able to move forward now on either a warm or cold interior 2023, or wait…any thoughts from the group?…the new engine(s) seem like a great reason to wait…just curious any other thoughts/opinions…thx all

ahenderson432

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I was in the same boat (pun intended). Had/have the opportunity to purchase a 2023 222xd with cool interior. Opted to wait and ordered a 2024 252sd. Getting longer in the tooth and may not be wakesurfing or wakeboarding that much myself and the kids would rather rube. Looking forward to just cruising around and enjoying a bit or relaxation time. 1.9HO rather then the SVHO was also a factor. Lower Octane and better GPH.

soundssweet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
indeed, man 252 nice…that’s been a thought to jump up, really only a few feet’s more (and $$, ha)…just seems odd to see so many 252 2024’s out there, the new 222’s have been put off priority manufacturing I guess…can’t find any anywhere…prob should just wait it out, 1.9’s are intriguing for sure…

ahenderson432

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Thankfully I was able to board a 22’ and 25’ and the difference of space is huge IMO. Opted out of the XD as I can always add speakers, racks, ballast, and a few other options I didn’t need right away. The hard ballast tanks takes up so much storage. Hoping for delivery in December!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When I was buying my first boat my friend (who has decades of boating experience) posed these questions to me.

-What are you going to use the boat for?
-Where are you going to use the boat?
-How many people will be on the boat, be honest with yourself, how many people will really be going w you each trip?
-How often will you be using the boat?
-How big of a boat do you really need? Get the smallest boat that will get the job done was his statement.
-Is your tow vehicle up to the task of towing your boat (This one is my addition after seeing issues with this here on this site)

If you have not downloaded the Yamaha app do so, there is a model comparison function you will find useful.

The bigger boat is the way to go as you can just not use space that’s there, you can’t use space you don’t have, also if you’re going to be going out in the ocean the bigger boat will handle the bigger waves better. But the bigger boat will use more fuel, can you afford to pay for the extra fuel and not have that expense keep the boat on dry land? What about range? Do you want to be able to take longer trips will te bigger boat have the range you want? Looks like the fuel tank sizes only vary by five gallons, the 22’ has a 70 gallon tank and the 25‘ has 75 gallons. I also see that the AR220 comes with the TR-1 engines, not as powerful as the 1.9’s but they’re also better on fuel.

Will your tow vehicle be up to the task? The 222 SD on the trailer with a full tank of fuel weighs 5,674#, toss in gear/ full ice chest(s) etc you’re knocking on 5800-5900#. The 252 SD on the trailer weighs in at 6252# with a full tank of fuel, toss in gear and ice chest(s) and you’re looking at 6300-6400#. Lots of discussions here about tow ratings, refer to yiur owners manual it will have a built in calculator so you can determine what your tow vehicle can tow and still be within its rating. Hint hint, people, cargo, vehicle options reduce the tow rating.

There’s a thread here some where about the DriVE impressions, if I’m not mistaken in that thread the OP was not all that impressed, he felt he could do the same with split throttle and or just driving it. Now, the DRiVE X that is on the 25’ SD version is a different story, the new X system has features similar to Yamahas Helm master, it will move the boat left or right latterl, spin on its axis, and I believe it will hold itself against a dock, to me that system is worth the squeeze / money as it will make close quarters maneuvering, docking and loading the boat back on the trailer exponentially easier.

The 1.9 engines are supposed to be quieter and smoother along with four bladed impellers which is where a lot of the sound reduction and smoothness probably comes from.

I love my 210 FSH, I boat 99% of the time by myself, it’s pretty darn thrifty on gas with its TR-1 engines, (why they didn’t put the 1.8’s in the sport model is still vexing) not the fastest boat but it still moves right along, has room for three couples comfortably but is rated for 10 people. The 25’ versions were not available when I bought my boat in July of 2020, had they been I would probably have bought the 252 with its normally aspirated engines and 86 octane fuel requirement. Yes it would be bit harder to handle at the dock, use a bit more fuel, and have more space than I really need, and it would be very difficult to get in my heated shop for winter storage but it would handle the larger wind driven waves with their short frequency better. I do lust after those sexy 25’ FSH boats, especially the Helm master one, but I’m very happy with the boat I have.

You have a lot of options to choose from!

soundssweet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
great post…yes I’m all new, been going back n forth with the 222 or 252…as a beginner I see the drive as helpful, but just seems like the consensus is it’s not worthy in the long run…cost-wise and usage, as In guessing the more I boat the more comfortable I’d be…actually just got a new F-150 specifically for pulling the boat (lariat with max tow package and 3.55, can tow up to 13,000 so shouldn’t be an issue)…love the idea of more space on the 252 for not much more length and weight overall…really the like the idea of going with the newer 1.9 engines, seems like more efficient and easier to maintenance down the line

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Right on…. It would be helpful if we knew the answers to the questions I posed above.. then you might get more input from others who have similar boats. I would go for the 1.9’s as well. Your tow vehicle is a dandy!

soundssweet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
Right on…. It would be helpful if we knew the answers to the questions I posed above.. then you might get more input from others who have similar boats. I would go for the 1.9’s as well. Your tow vehicle is a dandy!
alls good…just me and the wife, and our 3 girls (age 3, 9 and 12)…mostly starting off in lakes but want to do intercoastal…stored on property (outside, central florida)…would like to use at least a couple times a month (weekends)…would love to do an extended trip and dock / stay at a waterfront inn…mostly this kind of stuff…and of coarse basic fishing, tubing…multipurpose boating…just didn’t want to go down the road of getting too small boat to start, and regret…and certainly don’t want too much boat…we’re coming from a camping family, so somewhat used to backing up, but don’t want anything I would regret handling…I feel like anything bigger than the 25’ series would make me feel that way..:albeit the new fords have some pretty cool backup tow features

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
alls good…just me and the wife, and our 3 girls (age 3, 9 and 12)…mostly starting off in lakes but want to do intercoastal…stored on property (outside, central florida)…would like to use at least a couple times a month (weekends)…would love to do an extended trip and dock / stay at a waterfront inn…mostly this kind of stuff…and of coarse basic fishing, tubing…multipurpose boating…just didn’t want to go down the road of getting too small boat to start, and regret…and certainly don’t want too much boat…we’re coming from a camping family, so somewhat used to backing up, but don’t want anything I would regret handling…I feel like anything bigger than the 25’ series would make me feel that way..:albeit the new fords have some pretty cool backup tow features
Thank you!

Looks like the 25’ would be the best investment ! The girls will have friends that will want to come along in the future as well as the grups=grown ups.

Have you looked at the FSH boats? FSH=Family Sport Hybrid. They have a bigger fuel tank and could take you to bimini and dry tortugas in the future..

soundssweet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
Have you looked at the FSH boats? FSH=Family Sport Hybrid. They have a bigger fuel tank and could take you to bimini and dry tortugas in the future..
yes, a little bit…part of the reasoning as well for the bigger 25 is the little cubby space, with the wife and girls a space to change / porta potty might be very useful…not sure any of the FSH have those spaces

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
yes, a little bit…part of the reasoning as well for the bigger 25 is the little cubby space, with the wife and girls a space to change / porta potty might be very useful…not sure any of the FSH have those spaces
Looks like you missed the fact the 255/252 FSH has a head compartment, I don’t know how big the cubby space is on the bow rider, but the head compartment on the 25’ FSH is good sized. If you have not got onto these boats and sat in the seats, or walked around the deck you need to. Check out both both models to see which one would be the best fit for you and your family. I’m biased of course because I own a 210 FSH, the FSH / center console models are a surprise to a lot of people in how versatile they are, I’ve taken quite a few long time boaters / fisher peoples out and I’ve gotten the question “why a center console?” at the beginning of the day, and by the end of the day they’re like “wow! That’s a great design to be on all day, I never would have thought that”.

This thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/255-fsh-sport-e-feedback.36355/ was a discussion about the 255 FSH started by 255 Guy who was going to buy one, my post #13 in that thread sums up what I think about the FSH boats. I think the original poster of that thread ended up going with an outboard or I/O boat as his cousin or other family member was not a fan of jet boats, he hasn’t been on the site since February of 2022. Whichever model you decide to go with the most important thing is you get the boat you want and get on the water asap and start making memories with your family and friends.

Boat Test review of the 2021 255 FSH;

Boat Test review of the 2021 252SD; Of course the 2024 has the new 1.9L engines and 4 blade impellers.

Gotta toss in the Boat Test review that made up my mind to buy my 210 FSH.

soundssweet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
cool, yes haven’t really dived into much of the FSH series…I’m going into the dealer tomorrow and checking out all the 25’s

jthackman

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
we had parents with bowrider boats..our first boat was a old supra bowrider ski boat..current (2nd) boat is our 240 yammie bowrider.
the center console boats are def work a look for our next boat...seem really versatile.

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
great post…yes I’m all new, been going back n forth with the 222 or 252…as a beginner I see the drive as helpful, but just seems like the consensus is it’s not worthy in the long run…cost-wise and usage, as In guessing the more I boat the more comfortable I’d be…actually just got a new F-150 specifically for pulling the boat (lariat with max tow package and 3.55, can tow up to 13,000 so shouldn’t be an issue)…love the idea of more space on the 252 for not much more length and weight overall…really the like the idea of going with the newer 1.9 engines, seems like more efficient and easier to maintenance down the line
I think you might reach a different consensus if more people with the DRiVE system were chiming in...

I purchased a 2023 222SD, my first boat, and I LOVE the DiVE system! I use it all the time and there is no comparison to using split throttles when it comes to convenience and ease of use. Keeping both hands on the wheel while instantly engaging forward and reverse is awesome. I know experienced boaters can use both throttles to control their boats to achieve the same results but the convenience of DRiVE is really nice.

You don't just get paddles on the wheel, you also gain Electronic Power Steering (EPS) when you get DRiVE.

Mfrench2025

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We had an ar210 without the Drive system for over a decade and was very use to splitting the throttles to get the boat were I wanted. We picked up a 222xd and absolutely love it and was 100% worth the premium for it. We have a narrow docking area and use them every single time I enter or exit the dock. I find the biggest thing for me is i can blimp the throttle while standing up easier than having to lean over and play with the throttles. I can get the boat to go exactly where I want and never have to worry about whiskey throttle as it limits you to only 3k.

soundssweet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
We had an ar210 without the Drive system for over a decade and was very use to splitting the throttles to get the boat were I wanted. We picked up a 222xd and absolutely love it and was 100% worth the premium for it. We have a narrow docking area and use them every single time I enter or exit the dock. I find the biggest thing for me is i can blimp the throttle while standing up easier than having to lean over and play with the throttles. I can get the boat to go exactly where I want and never have to worry about whiskey throttle as it limits you to only 3k.
awesome, I’m on the fence…now it’s mostly do I wait for a model with drive or move forward with out, taking in cost and boat size…dealer only has 222 or 252SD’s from 2023, really was hoping for the new motors…hard to get an eta on either 222 or 252 for 2024 delivery…they do have a 2024
252SE…bumping up to that without drive helps a touch on costs being I was originally looking at a 222SD, ha…was thinking a touch bigger boat might be good in the long run…(that’s what they all say)…

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
if it won’t break the bank wait for the DRiVE X and the 1.9L engines. The Drive X enhanced features look pretty awesome.

soundssweet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
if it won’t break the bank wait for the DRiVE X and the 1.9L engines. The Drive X enhanced features look pretty awesome.
hmmm, isn’t the Drive X only on the 275 series? (just regular Drive on 222, 252, etc)

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
From the Yamaha app for the 252 SD…. under the technical detail tab…

6B0FB29A-88C4-4FCD-B981-1CE1F878469B.png

0AC4D950-108C-4FBA-BA91-6642BB869973.png

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length