• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 FSH 190 hard start/miss fire/whining noise

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey fellow Jet boaters, It’s been a long road for me as a new Yamaha jet boat owner. I was under the impression that these boats are really well-made and rarely experience issues. I know like anything mechanical anything can happen, but at this point I’m completely confused and upset at this vessel. I’ve been experiencing sporadic hard start. It’s never consistent some days It runs perfect other days It runs like crap. Some days it does it once and I don’t know what to do anymore. In addition to the hard start whenever I’m wide-open throttle, it will lose power for a split second and then pick up again like a sudden sputter as well as a constant whining noise at full speed that’s driving me crazy coming from somewhere in the motor/pump area I have completely emptied. My pockets on this vessel (not really but you guys get the point lol) here’s a list of everything I have done to this boat. If someone could please share any experiences or shed light on this I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Took it to a tech first mistake spent $600 in fees and parts and they said it was the engine block temp sensor wrong

4 brand new OEM Yamaha injectors

I’ve gone over 12 new spark plugs

New fuel pump

New OEM impeller (maybe the whining noise idk)

Pulled apart the pump assembly and made sure it was sealed and nothing was stuck in there.

I did the Clean out Hatcher safety sensor bypass

Oil change every 50hr (if a fishing charter so I keep up with here like a maniac)

Tested the coils they are good

2 brand new batteries

Went over every single connection and bought new wires and rewired my batteries for a solid connection

Added a Water fuel separator (thought I may have water in fuel not the case fuel is clean)

Put all brand new fuel lines

Does anyone have any tips or ideas on what I should check next? Thank you all in advance!

2017 Yamaha FSH 190 1.8L HO 618hr

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Did you clean the main ground wire from the engine? Did you try running with the air cleaner element removed? did you check for exhaust leaks in the engine compartment like loose or rusted clamps to exhaust hoses or other leaks allowing in exhaust fumes?

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did you clean the main ground wire from the engine? Did you try running with the air cleaner element removed? did you check for exhaust leaks in the engine compartment like loose or rusted clamps to exhaust hoses or other leaks allowing in exhaust fumes?
Good ideas where is the ground located?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What about the safety lanyard? That intermittent cut off/ hard start could be related to the safety cut off, could even be the ignition switch.

So that I don’t have to go looking for it, what was the final cure that you found in your original hard start thread?

Regarding the whining noise, did you check the gap between the impeller and the wear ring? Sometimes the salt water gets in behind the wear ring, corrodes and causes the wear ring to expand and impinge on the gap between the impeller and wear ring, @Cobra Jet Steering LLC did a post on this some time back.

Last edited:

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Okay found something injector 4 I’m getting power on both injector connection pins the other 3 I only get power on the positive pins. What’s the deal? Bad ecm?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Are you measuring both pins to ground?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Typically injectors have a hot going to them all the time and ground is switched …. Both pins should not be hot / energized while the engine is not running but ignition is on.

Figure out which pin goes to ground and test it for continuity to ground. If you read continuity to ground from the plug at the injector that goes to the ECU then there may be a problem with the ECU.

Last edited:

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Does anyone know if I can use a jetski wiring harness on an FSH 190?

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
***Update***
New harness same issue lack of power won’t go above 20MPH 6k RPM

compression is well above 130 all cylinders.
Any other ideas please? ;(

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
***Update***
New harness same issue lack of power won’t go above 20MPH 6k RPM

compression is well above 130 all cylinders.
Any other ideas please? ;(
Take it to a dealer