• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 FSH 190 Hard Start

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I own a 2017 Yamaha FSH 190 sport with 740 hours on it. I primarily use it for work as a captain, guiding in southwest Florida. I have taken great care of it since day one, always ensuring timely maintenance such as new plugs and oil and filter changes. However, I have been experiencing a hard start issue after the boat has been turned off for a while. When I turn the key for the first time, it is difficult to start and I have to disengage the key and try again. After that, it runs fine. This problem started around 180 hours of usage. I have spent a significant amount of money trying to resolve this issue, as sometimes the boat won't start for a while longer not just after the second key turn but several it’s driving me crazy… any tips I’d appreciate it.. one last thought I heard leaving it idle to cool off and run the fan to extract heat helps with vapor locking… well that’s a fail I do that every time no results.

(all OEM)
new wiring harness
New ecm
New stator
4 new injectors
New cam sensor
New block heat sensor
New regulator
New thermostat
New ignition switch relay
New starter
New batteries
New battery switch
New fuel pump
New coils
Inspected and adjusted valves
Inspected motor timing
Checked compression I’m getting 180 across all cylinders.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Looks like you’ve replaced everything but the key switch…

did you run the test on the pick up coil for the ignition?

What exactly do you mean by “ When I turn the key for the first time, it is difficult to start and I have to disengage the key and try again“. There is a run position to the key switch and a start position to the key switch, it would be helpful if you could clearly define the starting process.

I think in your other threads on this subject you also checked the safety lanyard and the cut off switches in the clean out area?

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Looks like you’ve replaced everything but the key switch…

did you run the test on the pick up coil for the ignition?

What exactly do you mean by “ When I turn the key for the first time, it is difficult to start and I have to disengage the key and try again“. There is a run position to the key switch and a start position to the key switch, it would be helpful if you could clearly define the starting process.

I think in your other threads on this subject you also checked the safety lanyard and the cut off switches in the clean out area?
Thank you for your response. This boat does not have a run position. It has two positions, but the first one does not activate anything. It is only when you turn the key a full turn that it actually turns on the engine and ECM with an audible peep. This is different from other boats I have been on, as they usually have a run position to activate the auxiliary before starting the engine. I have verified this with other boats of the same model, and they also do not have a run position. You have to turn the key all the way to start the engine and electronics. I have checked the safety, lanyard, and clean out hatch, and they are all in working order. I have purchased a new ignition switch and will be installing it on Tuesday. I have a brand new pick up coil they installed it when they did the stator. I hope this clarifies the situation.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Does it crank but just not fire up the engine when it is giving you trouble? if so try turning the key to start and release it for a few seconds in the run position just in case you do not have sufficient fuel pressure after it sits, also I have had issues with neutral safety switches acting up on 1800 engines in the past and if that happens it will crank but not fire then I would need to move the shifter a bit forward and backward and retry usually that would do the trick. This would only happen after it sat with the engine off for a while .

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Does it crank but just not fire up the engine when it is giving you trouble? if so try turning the key to start and release it for a few seconds in the run position just in case you do not have sufficient fuel pressure after it sits, also I have had issues with neutral safety switches acting up on 1800 engines in the past and if that happens it will crank but not fire then I would need to move the shifter a bit forward and backward and retry usually that would do the trick. This would only happen after it sat with the engine off for a while .
That’s correct crank no fire but will crank after I release it and try again (not all the times sometimes it takes a couple key turns to start it) I will check the neutral safety switch. I’m assuming that’s located somewhere in the throttle shifter?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The switch is on the throttle body of the intake , so when you go to crank it and it won't start release the key so it stops cranking but does not go to the off position then move the throttle lever just a little both ways and re-hit the key to the start position and see if it starts up.

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
**UPDATE**

I replaced the ignition switch today, but the problem persisted. My technician removed the valve cover and found that the timing had jumped slightly, about 1 tooth. Last time we checked the timing, it was completely out and the technician said that was causing the hard start. He fixed it and it ran well for a while, but the hard start returned. We concluded that either a bad tensioner or a stretched timing chain is causing the timing to jump. I have been advised to purchase a new chain and tensioner to be installed on Friday. Any thoughts on this?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
**UPDATE**

I replaced the ignition switch today, but the problem persisted. My technician removed the valve cover and found that the timing had jumped slightly, about 1 tooth. Last time we checked the timing, it was completely out and the technician said that was causing the hard start. He fixed it and it ran well for a while, but the hard start returned. We concluded that either a bad tensioner or a stretched timing chain is causing the timing to jump. I have been advised to purchase a new chain and tensioner to be installed on Friday. Any thoughts on this?
If the chain jumped on the cam gears it definitely needs a new chain and tensioner, and I would replace the cam gears themselves while you are at it.

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If the chain jumped on the cam gears it definitely needs a new chain and tensioner, and I would replace the cam gears themselves while you are at it.
Thats a good suggestion thank you

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thats a good suggestion thank you
I saw your post in your thread about the 1.8L engines shaking, was this after the timing chain, chain tensioner was replaced?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
did you check the compression after changing the chain you may have a slightly damaged valve in a cylinder from the timing chain being off I had one go and it bent every valve in the head

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
***Update***

Tech checked timing again due to the strange idle and it all checked out. He checked valves and they are also fine. Boat runs great in all rpms. Still idles funny very shaky. when starting it dies like it’s not getting enough fuel or something. After it dies I turn it back on and it runs fine. My tech checked fuel pressure and it’s perfect 50psi we also put new plugs. Any thought? Good compression too.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
***Update***

Tech checked timing again due to the strange idle and it all checked out. He checked valves and they are also fine. Boat runs great in all rpms. Still idles funny very shaky. when starting it dies like it’s not getting enough fuel or something. After it dies I turn it back on and it runs fine. My tech checked fuel pressure and it’s perfect 50psi we also put new plugs. Any thought? Good compression too.
Have you disconnected the battery and let it sit for a bit then tried re connecting the battery and re starting? This may re set the ecu. Can you post a video of the motor shaking at idle? The fact that it runs great at all rpms doesn’t make it sound like there is a problem. When I start my engines cold it is very common that they will start and then die, sometimes several times if it is really cold outside.

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I haven't disconnected the battery yet. That sounds like a good idea; I'll try that next. Although I live in Florida, where we're currently having some colder months but the weather is typically low to mid 70s in winter, I took it out on the water today. After running it for about 3 miles, I turned it off, let it sit for about five minutes, then tried turning it on. Unfortunately, I experienced the same erratic idle, but it eventually turned off before I had to turn the ignition again. After that, it ran with no problems again. Funny thing is after coming to a dead stop and idling around for a little bit. It won’t die. It only does it when turning it on Intermittent not always always. I uploaded a video not sure if I did it right.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I haven't disconnected the battery yet. That sounds like a good idea; I'll try that next. Although I live in Florida, where we're currently having some colder months but the weather is typically low to mid 70s in winter, I took it out on the water today. After running it for about 3 miles, I turned it off, let it sit for about five minutes, then tried turning it on. Unfortunately, I experienced the same erratic idle, but it eventually turned off before I had to turn the ignition again. After that, it ran with no problems again. Funny thing is after coming to a dead stop and idling around for a little bit. It won’t die. It only does it when turning it on Intermittent not always always. I uploaded a video not sure if I did it right.
You cannot up load a vid here, you have to up load it to you tube or some other platform and then link it here.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That’s not right, it’s hunting. I have no idea how to remedy that, but a Yamaha tech with the correct software should.