• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242 Both Engines overheat New to me

RelentlessWMD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Now the head of both anodes are broken off and cemented into the blocks. I have started drilling them a little but i am worried to go to deep. Does anyone have a picture of the hole the anodes fit in and how deep it is. I removed the air intake manifold to get better access.
I am also soaking the area with white vinegar in hopes of softening it up.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Man, bummer that you are having such a hard time with this. My boat has the MR1 engines, but I believe same anode as the 1.8L The mechanic mentioned he needed to apply heat to remove the anodes.

If you have the replacement anodes, can you measure and use that as a proxy for depth?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

RelentlessWMD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Update#3?

Well I studied a long time and pulled the trigger and pulled the heads off the engines today. It was the right call, not only was it crudded up around the anodes but nearly the entire back (intake) side of the water jacket was blocked off. I am truly surprised that I didn't have more sever overheat issues based on the blockages I saw. See photo below.

I have been letting them soak with White Vinegar for the past day or so by pouring it in through the thermostat hole and blocking the intake tube. It softened alot of it up, but much of it still required scratching/picking/chiseling out.

I have one engine cleaned and doing the other tomorrow. I am waiting on new gaskets and such to arrive so I can put it all back together.

If anyone wants photos of something specific in the engine while I have it apart, let me know.

Edit: grammar/spelling

Attachments

Last edited:

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad to hear you might the right call here and made progress (clearing blocked passageways). Where you able to get the balance of the anodes out? Just for reference, how did you get the “crud” out once you chiseled it? Compressed air, shop vac, other method?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So it would appear that while all the flushing stuff was in the boat that the salt away product either didn’t make it into the engine, or it was flushed out after it was put in instead of it be left in and allowed to do it’s job. The instructions are pretty clear from salt away on how the product should be used. If it was me when I got done with all this work, I’d use the salt away clean out method to get to those areas of the block that are inaccessible to your hand tools.

Sorry to see and hear about all your dramas but good on you for keeping after it and doing the work I’m sure you’ll have a great running boat when it’s all done.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I placed a link to my block at post 23. It was much worse. It was a microbial build-up from the residual moisture left in the cooling system after flushing and sitting idle for months on end. Once that stuff build up, nothing will take it out except a chisel or scraper. And that means removing the head. Now, I dry-fire the engines (run them without cooling water for 1- 1 1/2 minutes) several times a few days after flushing to make sure the cooling system is dry inside. I have not had any overheats since I started doing this procedure.

RelentlessWMD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
SOLVED! :D

As you can see from previous post, I pulled the heads off and found hard build up in the water passages. I scraped and vacuumed out all that I could back to base meatal. Id say i got at least 95% of it out. Put it all back together with new gaskets. I was very fortunate to get the service manual for the boat.
Ran the boat today, after some tweaks it ran for hours with no problems. So happy to be able to finally enjoy my new (to me) boat.

Tips/details,
1. On reassembly i had an issue with the Port engine running rough and making a metallic ticking noise, similar to what you would expect from a bad rocker arm(engine doesn't have rocker arms. Long story short when i was cleaning the heads, one of the pad pads under the lifter came unseated. I initially thought i messed up the timing. but after pulling each valve lifter i found this one unseated. put it back and problem solved, no damage fortunately
2. I was able to perform this job without pulling the engines out of the boat. It is kind of tight in places but its doable.
3. I used a Swedish pipe wrench (from HFT) just behind the motor coupling to rotate the crankshaft to set up timing. It was the only thing to get a reliable bite in the tight space. This kept me from having to pull the front cover of the engine.
4. This is a relatively simple engine, Torqueing the block and setting the timing was straight forward. The hardest part was reinstalling the chain tensioner. the service manual was extremely helpful and watching a couple of youtube videos was made the difference. There was a video out of Russia that i found most helpful. He didn't have fancy tools or excess commentary, he just did the job. If you have a decent collection of tools i wouldn't be intimidated to tear down the heads
5. Chain tensioner - You have to compress the oil & spring driven piston and lock it into place with a built in tension ring to be able to reinstall it. Once you have it reinstalled and the you have set the timing, reach down to it with a long thin screw driver or piece of 9wire and pull the piston out. Just a little force will do it. This will make it hold tension on the chain immediately, otherwise it wont due so until oil has been pumped into, which leaves a small window of time for the timing chain to jump.
6. I used a dial indicator to check to ensure i had top TDC (top dead center) of the cylinder but it can be reliably found and set during disassembly using the cam shafts have timing marks. Drop a long (10") socket extension into the spark plug hole of cylinder #1 or #4, it will stick out. Rotate the crank until the extension is sticking out the most, then fine tune it by referencing the cam shaft timing marks ( lined up on to and which match marks on cam journals). The cylinder is now TDC. Just take care not to rotate the crank at all. I made a reference mark on the engine coupler with a sharpie as a quick easy check.
7. Setting the timing was easy after i figured out those tricks. I laid the cams in the with the timing marts oriented as i could and the cam lay in flat/level. I then put the journals on but only snugged them, just enough to make all the mating surfaces. I fine tuned them by holding the chain up and rotating the cam using a 10mm wrench on the cam sprocket bolts ( they are not easy to rotate) so that the timing refence marks were oriented correctly. Remember when your done to have all your chain slack on the Intake side. the tensioner will take it out when you install it (#5). The Exhaust side and top should be nice and taut and seated on the sprocket teeth. -Also dont forget to use liberal amount of assembly lube, i recommend Ultra Slick.
8. When I was all done and initially ran the boat I eventually got overheat alarms. I pulled the thermostats and found some loose material hung in them and causing some blockage to water flow. I pulled the thermostats for now to blow out any other loose bit. I'll put em back in at the end of the summer. Boat ran great after that, (16+miles)

Thank all of you for your help!