• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clippers that will actually cut braid

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Several discussions about the miracle properties of braid that I am somewhat late to the party on. However how do you cut the stuff? I have a handful of clippers and snippers that mostly just mangle the stuff. Does anyone have something that clips it cleanly? Price (almost) not an object.
cheers
Randy

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Several discussions about the miracle properties of braid that I am somewhat late to the party on. However how do you cut the stuff? I have a handful of clippers and snippers that mostly just mangle the stuff. Does anyone have something that clips it cleanly? Price (almost) not an object.
cheers
Randy
I got these at Scheels and they work great for cutting braid. The clip opposite the shears has a lanyard that is self retracting. The new ones even have a small blue LED light for cutting at night.

97CFFD63-205F-4EEF-B2CB-35F293A46BE6.jpeg

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know nothing about fishing, or even what the heck braid is. I assume it's some kind of braided fishing line for higher strength to catch bigger fish.

ANYWHO.....

I have a pair of lineman shears that I keep in every vehicle and in several places around the house. The cut effing everything this side of sheet metal without complaint and rarely dull. I've cut coat hangers with these things and they still work well. Like the Ginsu knives from the '90's infomercials!

Klein Tools 21010-6-SEN Free-Fall Snip, Scraper, File, Serrated Blades https://a.co/d/gYy4xBH

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know nothing about fishing, or even what the heck braid is. I assume it's some kind of braided fishing line for higher strength to catch bigger fish.

ANYWHO.....

I have a pair of lineman shears that I keep in every vehicle and in several places around the house. The cut effing everything this side of sheet metal without complaint and rarely dull. I've cut coat hangers with these things and they still work well. Like the Ginsu knives from the '90's infomercials!

Klein Tools 21010-6-SEN Free-Fall Snip, Scraper, File, Serrated Blades https://a.co/d/gYy4xBH
FYI... Braid vs Monofilament Fishing Lines and When To Use Each

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We need some kind of rule here prohibiting the posting of tools i didn’t know i needed and now i suddenly need.
Funny, I agree. I was not expecting a purchase today. The scissors we always used seemed sufficient until now.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@FSH 210 Sport thanks. Giving them a try
If you look closely the blades are serrated..I think that’s the key.

ANYWHO.....

Klein Tools 21010-6-SEN Free-Fall Snip, Scraper, File, Serrated Blades Amazon.com
Braid is a fabric like fishing line that is incredibly strong! If you pull on it too hard, or let it run across your skin with just a tiny too much pressure it will cut you so fast and deep.

I have this Klein set, I think mine says something about communication on the leather pouch, had it for pushing 40 years (yikes) …the scissors do cut everything! But I have not tried them on braid.

But with these scissors.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have two tackle bags and keep a pair clipped to each bag, the clip / lanyard / self retracting feature is dope! When you’re done with them the lanyard retracts and they’re out of the way and where you need them.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
These scissors work pretty good also, they have a 3" version as well. And they are cheap. I must admit the retractable snips look pretty niffty!
Amazon.com

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I see the scissors @Dixemon recommends are serrated same as the ones @FSH 210 Sport recommended. I think I see a pattern🤔. I do like the retractable lanyard since I now have troller remote around my neck.
Cheers

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We use 50lb powerpro for Channel Cats, and Fireline for summer walleye, as well as Fireline Ice in the winter. We keep a toenail clipper in the tackle box. Seems to work fine for all of the above and no special high price tag for a branded shear.

I do have a Berkley lanyard on it, just to keep track of it. (smile)

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So, impressed I am by the Boomerangs. I kinda wish I got the longer blades tho. The right end of the short piece of line was cut (mangled) by almost new Rapala toenail clipper style cutter. Left end is the Boomerang. FTW
IMG_22151.jpeg

Last edited: