• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fuel Smell - Source Found!

BrandonC_OK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As I've shared before, I've had concerns about the smell of gasoline since purchasing the boat earlier this summer. I filled the tank this weekend and noticed a VERY STRONG smell of gas. I opened the hatch above the gas tank and there was gasoline on top of the tank :( Instead of going to the lake, I headed back home frustrated. But now I at least had an indication of the potential source. I started tracing the fill hose from the port side of the hull, through the storage area under the rear port seat then into the engine bay and eventually to the top corner of the fuel tank. I wasn't aware that you could access the connection of the fuel fill hose to the tank from the engine bay. I felt around and found a broken hose clamp. I stuck my iPhone in there to snap a picture to confirm. I'll be picking up a clamp today and hopefully this resolves the problem for good.

The pic below looks like the tail portion of a clamp but it isn't.

Fill_Line_Broken_Clamp.jpg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
As I've shared before, I've had concerns about the smell of gasoline since purchasing the boat earlier this summer. I filled the tank this weekend and noticed a VERY STRONG smell of gas. I opened the hatch above the gas tank and there was gasoline on top of the tank :( Instead of going to the lake, I headed back home frustrated. But now I at least had an indication of the potential source. I started tracing the fill hose from the port side of the hull, through the storage area under the rear port seat then into the engine bay and eventually to the top corner of the fuel tank. I wasn't aware that you could access the connection of the fuel fill hose to the tank from the engine bay. I felt around and found a broken hose clamp. I stuck my iPhone in there to snap a picture to confirm. I'll be picking up a clamp today and hopefully this resolves the problem for good.

The pic below looks like the tail portion of a clamp but it isn't.

View attachment 205971
Was there any fuel around the base of the hose?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the hose looks like it has an indentation where the broken clamp is along with where the previous clamp was at the base,

I'm surprised it leaked gas as it's just a air pressure unless it's just filled super full but then it says the hose is compromised,

With a used boat there's always questions, I wonder if the previous owner had the issue and thought he would put a new clamp higher up?

I might consider trying to film while putting fuel in to see the leak
and also consider putting a whole new hose in,

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Replace both clamps. There should be two. I do see, or do I, a “wet” section of hose at the arrow, crack? Don’t know if that has anything to do with the smell/leak.

452075D7-8325-4D93-865E-13DFCE923006.jpeg

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
the hose looks like it has an indentation where the broken clamp is along with where the previous clamp was at the base,

I'm surprised it leaked gas as it's just a air pressure unless it's just filled super full but then it says the hose is compromised,

With a used boat there's always questions, I wonder if the previous owner had the issue and thought he would put a new clamp higher up?

I might consider trying to film while putting fuel in to see the leak
and also consider putting a whole new hose in,
I don’t recall how mine looks….but shouldn’t it be double clamped from the factory?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't notice there were actually two clamps on it, I thought the lower one at the base was just the impression of a clamp that removed

if it's leaking at the arrow doesn't that mean the hose is compromised and if you tried to clamp it you'd have to try to clamp over the hole ?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yes, two,

1691505558428.png

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BrandonC_OK I just sent you a PM, check the envelope at the top right of the page next to your screen name,

BrandonC_OK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After seeing the picture on my computer screen instead of my phone, I also noticed that it appears two clamps were needed.

Lots of good ideas here to confirm that my fuel leak/smell isn't just because of missing/broken clamps.

I've always filled the boat until the gas pump automatically shut off. I suspect this time was "more full" than previous because I've never seen fuel all over the tank before.

Current plan - obtain two stainless hose clamps, install them and inspect the hose the best I can. After install, refuel the boat and see if I have any leaks or smells. I like the suggestion from @Scottintexas to video during refuel.

I didn't measure the fuel hose diameter, the part name is "Band Hose 70" I suppose the 70 is mm which would be 2.75" which sounds about right.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
After seeing the picture on my computer screen instead of my phone, I also noticed that it appears two clamps were needed.

Lots of good ideas here to confirm that my fuel leak/smell isn't just because of missing/broken clamps.

I've always filled the boat until the gas pump automatically shut off. I suspect this time was "more full" than previous because I've never seen fuel all over the tank before.

Current plan - obtain two stainless hose clamps, install them and inspect the hose the best I can. After install, refuel the boat and see if I have any leaks or smells. I like the suggestion from @Scottintexas to video during refuel.

I didn't measure the fuel hose diameter, the part name is "Band Hose 70" I suppose the 70 is mm which would be 2.75" which sounds about right.
Make sure to wipe down your current tank and hose to avoid false positives when you test.

BrandonC_OK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pictures can be deceiving.

Upon further inspection, both clamps were installed and in tact. They were so tight they sunk into the hose.

I removed them both and pulled the hose. I couldn’t find any problems with the hose.

Any ideas on where else to look?
The only thing I can think of would be to open the fuel hatch and engine hatch and watch everything while I refuel and hope I can see something.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

Upon further inspection, both clamps were installed and in tact. They were so tight they sunk into the hose.

I removed them both and pulled the hose. I couldn’t find any problems with the hose.

The only thing I can think of would be to open the fuel hatch and engine hatch and watch everything while I refuel and hope I can see something.
That's exactly what I would do. Also, with the hatch off, if you can have your wife drive you down the road while you sit on the floor of the boat and look for possible leaks during transport, that might work too.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Check the vent hose. Looking at @Scottintexas 's post of the fuel tank. The filler hose would not leak on top of the tank. The vent hose could, if overfilled.
Where did you see the fuel?
20230810_083816.jpg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the 2005 model still has only the access hatch to the fuel senders unlike the 2007 and later models that the floor can be removed and expose the entire gas tank,

I would also try to check while filling and then full maybe even have someone one drive around the neighborhood to see if you can see any leaking while it is sloshing around,

it could also be one of the gaskets leaking that hold your fuel sender in place, Part 7 or 9 on the schematic,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
as zipper noted in a previous post that bottom clamp looks wet, did you confirm that IS NOT fuel leaking ?

it could be the tank neck is cracked from the clamps being so tight,

if the top of the senders look dry I think I'd look again at the tank neck, If you are unsure if it's fuel I think it would be worth replacing that hose and getting a better look at that tank neck

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
in the forward portion of your engine bay should be a drain plug, it should drain the fuel tank area,

I might make sure it's dry and put a paper towel in the drain hole in case you have a big enough leak it's passing through the drain the paper towel will catch some and be a good indicator,

BrandonC_OK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll try to address everything at once...

Yes - the 2005 only has the small hatch that opens above the fuel pumps/sending unit. The top of the tank in this area was all covered with fuel after refill and backing down the boat ramp (not sure which led to the issue but will isolate and check both). I do think problems with the fill tank could result in fuel on top of the pump/sending area. It is hard to tell in the schematic but I think the top of the fill neck is higher than the top of the tank. Not sure though.

It was dark and I only had my phone light but I squeezed the end of the fill hose and felt all around it and couldn't find any cuts or failures. I put it back on the tank but didn't install the clamps. I'll pull it off again in the daylight and look closer. I'll also take a closer look at the fill nozzle off of the tank to see if there are any cracks in that area.

As for the vent - you are correct that it sits right on top of the tank. It has a standard hose clamp and I assume that isn't original. I haven't checked it yet but I will. I may replace it with a banded clamp.

The drain plug from the fuel tank area is open and dry. I'll monitor, thanks.

The only other option would be to seal the fill tube and vent tube then pressurize the tank and look for leaks by sound and potentially via dish soap like plumbers use to check for leaks in gas lines. Given the amount of fuel I saw, I would suspect this is a large opening that I could hear.

I'm assuming to pull the fuel tank you either have to separate the hulls or cut out the floor? Neither of those sound like good options :(

I hope to have time this weekend to troubleshoot. Thanks for the input.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

BrandonC_OK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. The leaking hose that attaches to the port fuel pump was solved by replacing the banded clamp with a new one. The old clamp was loose and would slide down the stem and since it was under pressure I'd get a small spray of fuel at times.

But I get your point of a full fuel system inspection. I actually ordered two replacement hoses but after inspecting the existing hoses, they were still soft and pliable and since the hoses were on backorder I cancelled them.

I haven't had a chance to further investigate the tank yet.